Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Pickaxe screamer spawn chance

Steel Pickaxe screamer spawn chance

Now while this is not fact from our observations each swing of the steel pick axe is causing a roughly 80% chance to spawn a screamer. this is ridiculous for anyone who likes to build/ mine or tunnel in the game.
    Does anyone know where this setting is in the xml can i cange this or is it hard coded having it like this it almost feels like the pimps are trying to change the nature of the game from a "The survival Horde Crafting game" to a "just another loot and shoot game"

in A17 the screamer spawn change was around 0.02% not it seams to be 80% maybe they missed a .0 and were tying to increase it to 0.08 which would seam alot better

A pickaxe can spawn a screamer? Just the pick? Oh man thats funny.

I hardly ever see screamers anymore, and when I do they do nothing. At worst they summon 4 guys. Screamers got nerfed into the ground somehow.

Continuous swing of pickaxe increses at max 80% of heat cap where summons screamers.
    So no worry if you don't use any other heat producers to fill rest 20% such as firearms, torch, campfire or forge where you mining.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphado-Jaki View Post
    Continuous swing of pickaxe increses at max 80% of heat cap where summons screamers.
    So no worry if you don't use any other heat producers to fill rest 20% such as firearms, torch, campfire or forge where you mining.
    The problem is that the heat also rises when you hit metal ore. With nitrate, stone and coal the heat does not increase but with iron ore and lead the heat increases additionally and in less than 5 minutes the heat in the chunk can be brought to over 100%.

I have tested this. I started a new iron mine and only worked with the pickaxe. Nevertheless I got screamers. The whole heat and screamer system is completely bugged.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Feycat View Post
    I hardly ever see screamers anymore, and when I do they do nothing. At worst they summon 4 guys. Screamers got nerfed into the ground somehow.
    Honestly, I'm glad about that. Otherwise I would not be able to work at all. Every time I go to the mine to mine iron or lead, I have to fight off screamers and their horde every 2-5 minutes. It doesn't matter if I use an auger or a pickaxe. I have to build a wall around my mines and put spikes on the outside.

Refugee
    They also dont have to actually "see" you before they start screaming.

Been in my mine . Ceiling is 4 blocks thick. Mine opening is one block wide with wood frames blocking entrance .

Screamer spawns wanders around up top till she eventually starts screaming whilst being nowhere near the mine entrance.
    There is no way she actually sees me .
    Unless its sound as well that triggers them.

She's very sensitive and hysterical

Ranger
    I haven't had my steel pick call Screamers while I'm mining yet. The only zombies I see while mining are the regular zombies that just walk around the woods. The main thing I find reliably calls the Screamers is the Junk Turret. That thing will summon them like crazy. Especially if you use two fully perk, fully upgraded versions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Deccypher View Post
    Now while this is not fact from our observations each swing of the steel pick axe is causing a roughly 80% chance to spawn a screamer. this is ridiculous for anyone who likes to build/ mine or tunnel in the game.
    Does anyone know where this setting is in the xml can i cange this or is it hard coded having it like this it almost feels like the pimps are trying to change the nature of the game from a "The survival Horde Crafting game" to a "just another loot and shoot game"

in A17 the screamer spawn change was around 0.02% not it seams to be 80% maybe they missed a .0 and were tying to increase it to 0.08 which would seam alot better
    I spend entire days down mines swinging my level 5 Steel Pick constantly. Only once ever have I had a Screamer spawn in that situation. Since the heat map ignores height, one of us is bugged. OR this is the latest build, which I have not tried yet, and you have discovered a new bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Deccypher View Post
    If it's "not fact from our observations" as in "not actually in the game", then is it possible that someone has just misread the line in patch notes and trying to fix something that was never broken:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hated View Post
    Rebalanced harvesting "heat" after several code fixes. An auger with all the bells, whistles, and perks mining nonstop can barely call a screamer on its own. A steel pick can get up to 80%.
    That's not 80% per swing.

Quote Originally Posted by theFlu View Post
    If it's "not fact from our observations" as in "not actually in the game", then is it possible that someone has just misread the line in patch notes and trying to fix something that was never broken:

That's not 80% per swing.
    Can get up to 80% total accumulation I believe is what Hated means. Add other heat sourcs and then it'll get above 80%.

I tried looking in the XML files verify again but I cannot remember for the life of me which XML would contain this info.
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 11-18-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Adding info

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    Can get up to 80% total accumulation I believe is what Hated means. Add other heat sourcs and then it'll get above 80%.
    The other source of heat seems to be iron/lead ore. The sound of hitting the metal increases the heat with each hit. I've never had problems with screamers before when using the pickaxe but now they come non-stop.

I spent the entire night mining with my steel pickaxe on stable and never got 1 screamer. On stable i've pretty much NEVER gotten a screamer while just using a pickaxe.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    I spent the entire night mining with my steel pickaxe on stable and never got 1 screamer. On stable i've pretty much NEVER gotten a screamer while just using a pickaxe.
    Was that A18.0 or A18.1? The changes to the heat system were made with A18.1.
    Furthermore it seems to only affect metal ores. Stone, nitrate and coal do not have the same effect.