Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting random freezes when looting, SERIOUSLY affecting MP gameplay

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Limdood View Post
    Thanks! I'll see if I can have my friend make the change and comment back in a few days (If I remember) whether it worked or not.
    The server change worked. I still get the freezes on single player, where they completely freeze time. I still get them on MP, where they freeze time for me, but the server continues forwards (dangerous, but tolerable, as I don't know of any other solution). BUT, I no longer get completely kicked. The game freezes for 15 seconds, then carries on, with me still playing. I appreciate the help DMPlayin.

Maybe when I can swing the cost and time, I'll see about upgrading the memory on this.

That's weird that it freezes for that long both in SP and MP. Maybe it's not a memory problem.

Is it possibly an Anti-virus program, or some other system type program in the background?

I don't know if it is still the official recommendation, but we used to exclude the game folder
    and the save game folder from the Anti-virus software.

One thing you could try is run Task Manager while you're playing and then when it freezes,
    alt-tab over to Task Manager and see if another process is taking over the cpu.

Reconstructionist
    my computer has enough trouble alt tabbing over that it would almost certainly take long enough to actually tab out the game that I'd miss anything that was happening...as it is, the game can take a good 45 seconds to close when I'm done playing. There are also vastly different lengths of freezes...sometimes it's a split second hiccup trying to move an item in my inventory. Sometimes a full second (commonly with manually moving items on and off the toolbar in the inventory), and sometimes, inexplicably, 5-20 second freezes as I open a container, or the map, or my inventory, or interact with my inventory.

It seems unlikely that it would be other programs interfering, considering it ONLY happens when looting or opening a menu...NEVER when moving around or interacting with the world, in combat, mining, driving, etc. Only something that would open a menu screen, such as looting or opening a container, opening my inventory, opening the map, etc. As I said earlier, the mouse moves, but the game becomes temporarily unresponsive.

I'd never run into anything like it in any other games...until tonight actually, while playing "Sims Medieval," the game froze twice in about an hour...the first time for about 15 seconds, the second time for about 5. The idle animations continued to play, and I could move the mouse, but I couldn't interact in any way with the game. after the freeze ended, it registered the key presses I'd done (in this case, pausing the game) and the game continued as normal.

Makes me believe the memory could be the issue (especially if it's that PLUS what you say....some other program decides to fire off in the background and use up resources, so the next time in 7dtd that the game has to seek information in a certain location, like the menus, as opposed to interacting with the world, the game gets shunted to the backburner until the resources become available).

*shrug* I'd love to figure it out...but I don't have the money to throw into any upgrades atm, so if it seems like it'll be a hardware thing, and I can find some workaround, that'll satisfy me for now.