Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it me or does this game eat up a lot of RAM

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    It's just cache so it loads something faster the 2nd time you load it. In my opinion... a waste of money because it's only marginally faster if caching SSD stuff, though much faster if caching HDD stuff which is what it was mainly intended for.

no, optane is not only a cache, it depends on the model.

optane 900p, 905p, the enterprise ssds, and so on, are regular ssds with 3d-xpoint chips and you use them as regular ssd.
    the small m.2 and dimms are persistent cache drives.

but they are not useful on regular Client PCs though.

pro optane: high random r/w performance, bit lower latency, high iops, very low performance drop when "full".
    con: price, price, price.

Quote Originally Posted by erlgrey View Post

optane 900p, 905p, the enterprise ssds, and so on, are regular ssds with 3d-xpoint chips and you use them as regular ssd.

pro optane: high random r/w performance, bit lower latency, high iops, very low performance drop when "full".
    This is a bit offtopic, but I havent been able to find good answers about the optane tech,and you sound insightful Don't they have a much higher amount of writecycles before they go bad? Been thinking on using one as a replacement for my Ramdisk, but can't find good info about it from the real world.

Ranger
    The only Optane SSD I have seen for sale is the Optane AIC:
    Screenshot_2019-11-22 Intel Optane SSD 900P #40;480GB, AIC PCIe 3 0 x4, 20nm, 3D XPoint #41; - N.jpg

The other versions are cache/ram
    memory.jpg

The transfer rates on the Optane AIC are lower than the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 and the 970 EVO M.2 does not take a PCI Express slot, which does not really matter other than blocking a small amount of airflow in a fan based PC, or you have triple or quad SLI taking all the slots.

I do not think the Samsung 970 EVO can be beat in price/performance and having such low profile in your case, the space taken on the motherboard for each M.2. slot with a heatsink is much smaller than most southbridge heatsinks.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 11-23-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erlgrey View Post

Ok, my knowledge may have been outdated. Sorry for the misinformation. Though in my defense, it was stupid for Intel to confuse the product line like that. To merge SSD with Optane without giving it a new name is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by -Holo- View Post
    This is a bit offtopic, but I havent been able to find good answers about the optane tech,and you sound insightful Don't they have a much higher amount of writecycles before they go bad? Been thinking on using one as a replacement for my Ramdisk, but can't find good info about it from the real world.
    If you really need more performance than what SSD can offer, then just use one of the RAID options.
    Last edited by Fox; 11-23-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Ok, my knowledge may have been outdated. Sorry for the misinformation. Though in my defense, it was stupid for Intel to confuse the product line like that. To merge SSD with Optane without giving it a new name is just dumb.

If you really need more performance than what SSD can offer, then just use one of the RAID options.
    It's not really the performance I'm after mainly. It's something I experienced when running a minecraft server that there were so many read/writes that wore out two mechanical disks for me, so after that I tend to use Ramdrives to store worlds for voxel games
    but it has its drawback with the volatile nature and larger mapsizes used now.