Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking has now become obsolete

Nomad
    As far as refrigeration using electricity, I did not really think of that, but perhaps snow could be added to a cooler like coal in a train. Then you could upgrade the refrigerator with some small amount of electricity ensuing longer times before spoilage and not needing the snow or Ice to put in cooler every couple of day.

This idea will eliminate all food poisoning (but still dysentery from drinking 8 bottles of water or whatever) if you keep your food safe, but as a negative you really need to keep an eye on the food, perhaps a tool tip or something so you can keep track of your spoilage, say "2 days before rotten meat" "2 Days before rotten eggs" and the same for prepared foods like bacon and eggs. The canned goods "best before" would of course be random and there will be a tool tip in the description of the item.

This would be more realistic, but some would really not like it too much.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 11-22-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Cooking is simply a work in progress. The current state is not the intended final version. The plan is to create a multitude of recipes beyond what we already have that involve the use of the canned foods as at least one of the components in the recipe. Cooked dishes will have special buffs and benefits that last for a period of time when you eat them which will make the risk of food poisoning worth it in order to be able to use those foods.

We just aren't there yet. Once TFP is done cooked dishes will be a lot more desirable and the incentive to eat more than just basic canned goods will be back. People will be wanting to save their canned goods to use in recipes rather than wasting them by eating them.
    Food really needs to give buffs. I think one buff would be a night vision buff. I can see the youtubers appreciating that for their night videos. Right now food seems to only be a healing item and a needs to survive.

Perhaps maybe add a new category: snacks. Snacks give low stamina, but have abilities associated to them. You eat a snack, and it gives a benefit. Benefits are like faster running, less recoil, farther grenade toss, and less fall damage. This would fix cooking in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    YES. That is exactly what I was saying.
    But clicking 'W' for 2 minutes to fill up your hunger bar is not a struggle it is mundane and boring.
    ^ This
    System is going back to when we grind stone axe craft. We are forced to GRIND FOOD.

The only difference is, craft grinding is not forced to everyone and once finished never needed anymore. But this food grinding are for everyone and everlasting, unless player determines to purchase iron gut or waste vitamins.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]
    it's a meaningless legacy

#REMOVE IT
    Cooking

#REMOVE IT

Just remove hungry in general lets dumb down the game some more

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrpggamer View Post
    I agree with the OP for the most part, I was surprised to see the food poisoning was reversed. Now that the cooked food does give you food poisoning and the canned food does not, what is the point to making good meal when you can just eat canned food now. I used to love making chili dogs and fish tacos, but why bother now, yes it is a only a slim chance but it happened last night with some bacon and eggs and oddly enough I do not remember what happened I just ate more bacon and eggs and that seemed to fix it somehow.

Early on putting points into Iron Gut seems like a unlikely choice to bother with until you are level 80 or 100 and the early more beneficial skills are chosen, then that skill would make sense I guess. I have never put a point in it in A17 (if it was there) even at level 140 or something

The master chef skill is something I used to put skill points in, but now I doubt I will for quite a long time, as it is not very beneficial anymore.

I have a lot of things to discuss about how A18 re-writ the whole game in some ways, but I will not make any new posts that have been discussed already and as per usual I have missed or shown up late for the party again.

Some drink, maybe red tea (I really do not remember) gives a benefit of digestion or something, That was a cool thing added, but I really do not know what it actually does. I am finding all sorts of things that are completely clanged, some good and some bad, and yes I really need to read the release notes.
    I have the opposite experience. putting 4 points into iron gut makes you powerful.

1: you can live off of 2 meat stews a day. I had a crate of the stuff. my food surplus is so bad i am downloading the npc mod just to have people to feed.

2: you are not as hungry. No need to worry about stamina for fights. you can beat the crap out of anyone and with the right perks you get stamina back from killing zombies. You will have a full stamina bar at all times. You will have ammo when the rest of the starving plebs are bemoaning using up their ammo on pois and the pois not being worth it.

3: Drugs and booze are more powerful. you can have a full horde night of extra xp with 2 lernin elixirs. fortibites+painkillers = invincible mode for a minute. Because you are not eating canned food, you have more ingredients for better chems and foods.

It's a tough call honestly. Iron gut is a good perk for end game AND early game. People here do not realize how important it is for melee. I did not understand how people just are too weak and pathetic to clear out at tier 5 poi melee only. But it seems that they don't take that perk, so at high levels they are running out of stamina too fast and are not eating cooked food because of food poisoning. With a high level of iron gut, you just eat two stews in the morning, and you are good for an active day and a half. That includes beating things to death with a baseball bat and riding around on a bike.

But clicking 'W' for 2 minutes to fill up your hunger bar is not a struggle it is mundane and boring.
    And now you've hit upon the benefit of cooked dishes over canned foods.

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by SenpaiThatIngnoresYou View Post
    I have the opposite experience. putting 4 points into iron gut makes you powerful.

1: you can live off of 2 meat stews a day. I had a crate of the stuff. my food surplus is so bad i am downloading the npc mod just to have people to feed.

2: you are not as hungry. No need to worry about stamina for fights. you can beat the crap out of anyone and with the right perks you get stamina back from killing zombies. You will have a full stamina bar at all times. You will have ammo when the rest of the starving plebs are bemoaning using up their ammo on pois and the pois not being worth it.

3: Drugs and booze are more powerful. you can have a full horde night of extra xp with 2 lernin elixirs. fortibites+painkillers = invincible mode for a minute. Because you are not eating canned food, you have more ingredients for better chems and foods.

It's a tough call honestly. Iron gut is a good perk for end game AND early game. People here do not realize how important it is for melee. I did not understand how people just are too weak and pathetic to clear out at tier 5 poi melee only. But it seems that they don't take that perk, so at high levels they are running out of stamina too fast and are not eating cooked food because of food poisoning. With a high level of iron gut, you just eat two stews in the morning, and you are good for an active day and a half. That includes beating things to death with a baseball bat and riding around on a bike.
    Well I have never put points into Iron Gut but as you say it may be more worth it than I thought.

Thank you for giving a rundown of the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by SenpaiThatIngnoresYou View Post
    It's a tough call honestly. Iron gut is a good perk for end game AND early game. People here do not realize how important it is for melee. I did not understand how people just are too weak and pathetic to clear out at tier 5 poi melee only. But it seems that they don't take that perk, so at high levels they are running out of stamina too fast and are not eating cooked food because of food poisoning.
    Problem is that iron gut requires expensive requirement of FRT, unlike other essential perks such as Lucky Looter, Miner 69er and Pack Mule.

If I mainly using PER or STR, I need to use 4 pts to halve food poisoning rate from cooked meal, and need extra 8 pts to earn immunity to it. 12 pts for just 1 perk is crazy idea in current A18 even if it's important.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphado-Jaki View Post
    Problem is that iron gut requires expensive requirement of FRT, unlike other essential perks such as Lucky Looter, Miner 69er and Pack Mule.

If I mainly using PER or STR, I need to use 4 pts to halve food poisoning rate from cooked meal, and need extra 8 pts to earn immunity to it. 12 pts for just 1 perk is crazy idea in current A18 even if it's important.
    Yeah, it is an expensive perk at higher levels, and in my opinion i think it should be capped at fort 5 the same way the miner69 and motherload perks are.

HOWEVER, for melee FORT is necessary. The pain tolerance and heavy armor perks are great. The heavy armor perk is needed in order to move around at a good speed. Now in my opinion living off the land and the huntsman should be merged as that is a waste of perk points having them split, or add huntsman to master chef.

Yep. That's exactly how the current system works.

The advanced foods fill you up completely in a few clicks and the cheap stuff is a lot more risky.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Synvastian View Post
    Iron Gut skill does exactly that, and even a master chef would still have chances of having food poisoning happen is such bad conditions (lack of soap, lack of proper heat control, possible mutations in animals and plants, micro contaminates you can't see or taste....possible fallout {nuke kind} there are so many possible variables that could contribute to why food poisoning is a thing.

and is a 4% chance really that bad that it constitutes another "oh no food poisoning exists nerf it please!!" post? this is like the 4th or 5th one

a 4% chance means that out of a possible 100 eaten meals, you MIGHT get poisoned a few times...
    I'm sorry to interject but.....

With all respect, the presence and existence of auto-targeting scrap turrets with a laser sight in the apocalypse pretty much negates the realism you're trying to evoke here with the whole "A Master chef is cooking in an unclean environment" argument.

It utterly negates it. No need to overly defend the butchered state of the skill tree.

I went back to A16 with War of the Walkers Mod and it's amazing. The cooking is still very viable in A16. In A18, theres not much incentive to go beyond charred meat at all.

EDIT: But I do have to agree with you. The worst I saw in my play till level 20 in A18 was a 4% chance. I got poisoning only one single time. I'm more concerned about overall balance and the incentive to do things like plant veggies and take food to the next level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]

#REMOVE IT
    No, please. I genuinely enjoy the food mechanic in 7days, when it's balanced. I still think A16 was the most balanced in that regard. I know, I'm broken record. Can't apologize, it's possible A16 is one of the best games Ive played.
    Last edited by Ac75; 11-22-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ac75 View Post
    I'm sorry to interject but.....

With all respect, the presence and existence of auto-targeting scrap turrets with a laser sight in the apocalypse pretty much negates the realism you're trying to evoke here with the whole "A Master chef is cooking in an unclean environment" argument.

It utterly negates it. No need to overly defend the butchered state of the skill tree.

I went back to A16 with War of the Walkers Mod and it's amazing. The cooking is still very viable in A16. In A18, theres not much incentive to go beyond charred meat at all.

EDIT: But I do have to agree with you. The worst I saw in my play till level 20 in A18 was a 4% chance. I got poisoning only one single time. I'm more concerned about overall balance and the incentive to do things like plant veggies and take food to the next level.

- - - Updated - - -

No, please. I genuinely enjoy the food mechanic in 7days, when it's balanced. I still think A16 was the most balanced in that regard. I know, I'm broken record. Can't apologize, it's possible A16 is one of the best games Ive played.
    and yet in the eyes of everyone complaining 4% chance to get food poison may as well be 100% from how much you all complain...hows that for realism?

I agree with the OP. I think MasterChef and Iron Gut should be combined.
    I also think there needs to be a compelling reason to invest more than 1 point. Maybe they could add in some other benefit to the perk, like eating the higher tier foods gives you long lasting buffs to speed or stamina.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Or just eat a vitamin before you eat. Or just eat. It happens so rarely that it really isn't worth the worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synvastian View Post
    and yet in the eyes of everyone complaining 4% chance to get food poison may as well be 100% from how much you all complain...hows that for realism?

It always depends on the personal experience how you see the 4%. If it never or only rarely happens to you then you consider the 4% to be low. But if it happened several times in a short period of time, the 4% seem much bigger.

I've never had food poisoning in A18 before but I restrict myself to prevent it from happening at a bad time. I only eat cooked food when I'm in the base and only canned food when I'm looting. Don't forget that your food and stamina are linked. If you throw up then you will lose almost all your food and a lot of your water. So your stamina and stamina regeneration are very low at this point.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 11-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Nomad
    If anyone wants to know what real food poisoning feels like, I had it at around 11 or so and I threw up so many times I had to have a bucket near by and my mom was in the room with me comforting me because I really felt like I was going to die. Not fun for a kid to go through.

I had it again when I was 14, going to continuation school and eating garbage food out of aluminum tins. Throwing up constantly and even when you think you threw up all the food, well you throw up again, you can not hold down a spoonful of water or you throw that up as well, and the sickness feeling is like the flue with weakness and fever, luckily it only lasts a day, so it is a short period.

Sorry to gross anyone out but when "throwing up" was mentioned with food poisoning I remembered those 2 time it happened.

In the real world It could be a 0.09 chance to get food poisoning in your entire life.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 11-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.