Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: PC Hardware 7dtd

  1. #16
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    r at least some CPUs because the hyper-threaded ones sit idle the whole time on my FX8320.
    your cpu does not have hyperthreading or SMT.

  2. #17
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by erlgrey View Post
    your cpu does not have hyperthreading or SMT.
    That was one of that bulldozer cpus, right?
    His CPU has some pipelinestages 8 times, but not 8 "full" cores. Yes it is not exactly SMT, but very similar anyway.

    But i don't know a way to determine which core is physical and which one is virtual. Your system only has 8 virtual cores, not 4 physical plus 4 virtual (even with real SMT). So it's impossible to say what runs on a physical cpu and what runs on a virtual cpu.

  3. #18
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    And i am sitting here in the GPU Limit. With a 1070. My i5 4460 CPU is at 30% and 50 C while my GPU is at 97-100% at 76.

    And yet i read everywhere that the CPU is more importnant.
    I agree. We ran the game using an I3 8350k 4x 4Ghz, all settings on ultra (nothing disabled) with a Rog Strix 1070ti 8gb and got a solid 60-70 fps. I don't think the cpu is the key here, I believe you need a massive gfx card and at least 16 gb ram but who really knows..

  4. #19
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Liesel Weppen View Post
    That was one of that bulldozer cpus, right?
    His CPU has some pipelinestages 8 times, but not 8 "full" cores. Yes it is not exactly SMT, but very similar anyway.

    But i don't know a way to determine which core is physical and which one is virtual. Your system only has 8 virtual cores, not 4 physical plus 4 virtual (even with real SMT). So it's impossible to say what runs on a physical cpu and what runs on a virtual cpu.
    there are no physical and virtual cores on bulldozers, they have 2 integer and 1 fpu unit per module, each unit shares e.g. l2 cache.
    it is a different design compared to current cpus with smt, and it failed quite hard.

    technically bulldozers are probably 8c, because in past a CPU was a CPU even though they had no FPU at all. (fpu calc was either emulated or you bought a co-processor)

  5. #20
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,787
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    This game in particular has seen it's fare share of trading hands and has been in Alpha testing for what 3 years now?
    It's been more than 6 years actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by erlgrey View Post
    your cpu does not have hyperthreading or SMT.
    I get Intel and AMD mixed up... you know what I'm talking about, it's pretty much the same technology just under a different name because... reasons.

    That cpu has 4 cores and 4 virtual... according to task manager, 4 of them aren't working. My assumption is it's either the virtual cores sitting idle or the server only uses 2 cores and 2 virtual and the rest sit idle (which is very much unlikely).

    My Ryzen has no problem with the client side though... all 12 threads being used to some degree. I should maybe try loading a dedicated server with it to see if it's just exclusive to the old FX series CPU.
    Last edited by Fox; 12-01-2019 at 02:03 AM.

  6. #21
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    What resolution?



    And while I haven't been bothered to confirm this yet, I still have my doubts that the game properly uses all cores now. Cuz if it did, then what reason would there be to relieve stress from the CPU and pile even more stress onto the GPU? I can at least confirm that the server no longer uses all threads for at least some CPUs because the hyper-threaded ones sit idle the whole time on my FX8320.
    3440x1440

  7. #22
    Survivor fluffyrizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    1
    In my personal experience with upgrades, I have found the most significant increase in performance was going from 16gb to 24gb of RAM.

    Other helps have been locking my processor at max in bios and changing from "quality" to "performance" in bios.

  8. #23
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,787
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalen View Post
    3440x1440
    Game is known to not do well at 1440p or higher no matter the hardware.

  9. #24
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Game is known to not do well at 1440p or higher no matter the hardware.
    yeah, thats unfortunate. For now, it plays well enough with most setting maxed. I'm looking forward to when they really start optimizing.

  10. #25
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    1
    You actually spent 500$ on a CPU that is absolutly bored because 4K?

  11. #26
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    9,166
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Has nothing to do with "Rushing" the Developers, morose at what point in a games developmental life does it finally progress from the drawing board to a stable product ready for market consumption. This game in particular has seen it's fare share of trading hands and has been in Alpha testing for what 3 years now?


    Like I wrote in my previous post, I'm hoping the game is ready for market release before the year 2030.
    Wow the misinformation here.

    Unless maybe you mean the Console port, which isn't the game we're talking about here.

    7 Days to Die has always been owned by The Fun Pimps. It has been in development for about 6 and a half years.
    Average game development time for an original title that isn't pulling the Engine, Assets, Characters, or story from a previous title is between 5 and 7 years.
    At our current pace, we should see the game fully finished before 2022.
    It should also be noted that no other AAA studio with 10x the number of developers would touch a project as complex as this one is.


    As for the cores, my old i7-3930k with 6 Physical + 6 Hyper-threaded cores gets all 12 of them used by Unity when I fire up the client. Definitively tracking the actual cores being used by the client is a little daunting, however I am able to see all of them being utilized via tools like GLZ when I am running the client.

  12. #27
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    You actually spent 500$ on a CPU that is absolutly bored because 4K?
    Eh, I had the money....

  13. #28
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    It's been more than 6 years actually.


    I get Intel and AMD mixed up... you know what I'm talking about, it's pretty much the same technology just under a different name because... reasons.

    That cpu has 4 cores and 4 virtual... according to task manager, 4 of them aren't working. My assumption is it's either the virtual cores sitting idle or the server only uses 2 cores and 2 virtual and the rest sit idle (which is very much unlikely).

    My Ryzen has no problem with the client side though... all 12 threads being used to some degree. I should maybe try loading a dedicated server with it to see if it's just exclusive to the old FX series CPU.
    I have always considered hyper-threading to be less than a physical core, this was based on my Pentium 4 from 12 years ago. I know the tech has changed, but the idea that it is simulating threads has always struck me as just being synthetic. Over the years thinking about workstation CPUs for rendering multiple buckets as seen in Cinebench I have always considered a hyperthreading core count of say 8 cores 16 treads to be more like having 12-14 cores in the workload. Again this is base on my crappy Pentium 4.

    When I picked out my 9700K without more research due to being impulsive, I realized It had 8 psychical cores and no logical cores like the 8700K. I was not really concerned about it at all believing the logical cores above the 8 physical cores is just fluff in most games and apps other than say rendering video and large scenes in a 3D app.

    I like the new AMD Threadrippers and Epyc, and I would have never even noticed the multithreading performance until I witnessed some benchmarks looking for a gaming CPU like my 9700K. These CPUs are insane in 3D and high end video apps. I have been an Intel guys since the Core 2 Quad and always dreaming of a Xeon workstation, and I never payed attention to AMD since the X2 4200 I had, so I guess Intel is really not all that anymore in computing beyond gaming.

    I have my 9700K clocked @ 4.7Ghz on all cores and it really shines in 7 Days to Die, getting a solid 60fps (vsync on) with all settings at high, with a tiny dip to 40-50 in large cities. On Ultra I get down in the 30s at times and the difference in quality is not much, so I stick to keeping the settings on high, this is 1080P of course. I think the 32gb DDR4 3000 also a sweet spot in this game as well, my aging GTX 1080 is holding its own, but the idea of an RTX is not even being considered until the next or next beyond that generation come out and the mid range of those really beats my GTX 1080.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 12-02-2019 at 04:20 PM.

  14. #29
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That cpu has 4 cores and 4 virtual... according to task manager, 4 of them aren't working. My assumption is it's either the virtual cores sitting idle or the server only uses 2 cores and 2 virtual and the rest sit idle (which is very much unlikely).
    Can you post a screenshot of your taskmanager?
    I think that is where you are wrong, but i don't know how it exactly looks with a bulldozer CPU.

    An Intel 4-core without hyperthreading shows 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. That does NOT mean there are 8 cores, because logical and virtual add up. The system only uses virtual cores! Even the system can not differentiate between what a virtual and a physical core is. And it doesn't need to, because that makes no sense at all.
    An Intel 4-core with hyperthreading shows 4 physical and 8 virtual cores. It's still just 8 virtual cores, not 12 or whatever.
    Also my 8-core Ryzen hast 8 physical and 16 virtual and it never becomes 24 cores in whatever way.

    Should look like that:
    https://community.amd.com/servlet/Ji.../processor.png
    So same as any other cpu with SMT. So from at least the OS-view it doesn't have 8 "real" cores.

  15. #30
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    0
    Won't CPUz do this as well? The bottom right shows physical and virtual. I still think logical cores are overrated for every day computing and games, only benchmarking can prove this.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 12-02-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •