View Poll Results: Would you like to see food spoilage added to the game?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way it'll ruin the game!

35 17.77%
  • No I like the game as is.

85 43.15%
  • I'm chill and could care less.

23 11.68%
  • Yeah sure.

22 11.17%
  • Yes and it's long over due...Devs..

32 16.24%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Would you like to see food spoilage added?

Honestly, I think making food heavily tie into a revamped weather survival would take care of the food adbundance that i mentioned in a post a little while back.

I voted yeah sure because I would like to see this be a thing but if it never does, I doubt I'll look back and think...man only if they added spoiledge.

Now I know next to nothing in what does and does not use a lot of computer resources but I had this idea. I've heard the arguement that all the timers needed to keep track of food would have a negative impact, especially on dedicated servers.

What if, not even sure this is possible or would work, at a specific time maybe even twice a day the game checks an index. This index will have all the food in the game listed with day created. Lets say at 4:01am the start of a new day the game checks this index and ages food accordingly. This "timer" would only need to be ran once every game day instead of having a constant ticking clock like Ark. Maybe this way would be easy on system resources.

There is a lot more to this idea but thats the short version, again I have no clue about these things or how it all works...
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 11-30-2019 at 11:44 PM.

What are some good games out there that do food spoilage well and why? Perhaps reflecting on that may lead to some good discussion.

Right now, food spoilage to me just seems like another time sink activity to make cooked food more difficult to maintain. In order to make such a system worthwhile there needs to be a good design behind it.

For example, along with food spoilage, should there be a way to preserve food longer? (E.g. refrigerator) Or like someone mentioned earlier, when food does eventually spoil, will it have a secondary use such as fertilizer? How much of a players day (60 min by default) should be consumed (pun lol) by the spoilage system in week 1? Week 5, week 10? SP, Coop, MP? Keep in mind, the more complex design will also make balance more difficult.

Adding spoilage is not as easy to implement as one would think.
    Last edited by Laz Man; 12-01-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Scavenger
    I voted "Yeah Sure" because it seemed the most middle of the road choice to me. I really wanted to vote that it depends on how it is implemented.

First, if food spoilage is added to the game then in game creation options I want the ability to adjust it (percentage based like other options, so 150%, 100%, 75%, etc.)

Second, different cooking recipes or methods should be changed to effect food spoilage (for example, historically smoking or salting meat was used to preserve it. could even add jar preservation or working frigs)

Third, I think before adding food spoilage, it would be important to balance cooking, farming, and food looting.

Fourth, while a potentially good mechanic, in my opinion the challenge of food spoilage would diminish over time. So it would be challenging earlier to mid-game but once established I think it would be more of a nuance than a challenge.

Fifth, I want to second what someone else posted earlier in that I feel that there are higher priorities in the game right now then food spoilage.

vote no. reason due to both technical reason and I dislike micromanagement.
    Let say food spoilage are implement.

No more stack of food, each individual food and ingredient is now on a timer till food spoilage.
    e.g harvest a pig: +3 raw meat (time till expire 3 days), + 3 raw meat, NEW stack of 3 meat with it own timer. Or finding an egg and 2 minute later finding another egg (with a new timer)

And now cooking, imagine have to stand next to the campfire because it can't stack food and only can cook 6 items at a time until it remove, late game is fine, but imagine cooking 6 corn bread at a time or something like that.
    And now imagine having a warehouse just to store your food because nothing stack. On top of that, you're now in constant finding food mode because you HAVE to eat food that about to expire instead of saving it for later.

Ah, you COULD implement something to help preserve food... to basically undo the food spoilage that just implement. Then why even put it in the first place?

when making a game, you need to balance between fun and boring "just like real life" simulation.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz Man View Post
    What are some good games out there that do food spoilage well and why? Perhaps reflecting on that may lead to some good discussion.

Right now, food spoilage to me just seems like another time sink activity to make cooked food more difficult to maintain. In order to make such a system worthwhile there needs to be a good design behind it.

For example, along with food spoilage, should there be a way to preserve food longer? (E.g. refrigerator) Or like someone mentioned earlier, when food does eventually spoil, will it have a secondary use such as fertilizer? How much of a players day (60 min by default) should be consumed (pun lol) by the spoilage system in week 1? Week 5, week 10? SP, Coop, MP? Keep in mind, the more complex design will also make balance more difficult.

Adding spoilage is not as easy to implement as one would think.
    the best one i can think of, is project zomboid. In emperyon you just don't harvest the food until you need it. Also energy is easy to get. In project zomboid food will spoil, and growing food will die on the vine if not harvested. So that trick does not work.

But project zomboid is a hard game, that actively hates everyone that plays it.

I voted no, but if TFP did introduce it, I'd check it out before making a final judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by SenpaiThatIngnoresYou View Post
    the best one i can think of, is project zomboid. In emperyon you just don't harvest the food until you need it. Also energy is easy to get. In project zomboid food will spoil, and growing food will die on the vine if not harvested. So that trick does not work.

But project zomboid is a hard game, that actively hates everyone that plays it.
    And is actively one of the most in-depth and one of the most engaging zombie games out there as well.

At this point and were the game currently is is would just be an annoyance and not add anything to the game but frustration. Everything is about loot and canned food now, not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydious View Post
    At this point and were the game currently is is would just be an annoyance and not add anything to the game but frustration. Everything is about loot and canned food now, not going to work.
    You strike me as a glass half empty type person. Can you explain why it would never work?
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 12-01-2019 at 02:40 PM.

How about spending time and effort on an end-game instead of more piddly mechanics that will just annoy us?

A better poll would have been Do you want Wellness put back in the game? I loved that mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    How about spending time and effort on an end-game instead of more piddly mechanics that will just annoy us?

A better poll would have been Do you want Wellness put back in the game? I loved that mechanic.
    If you think there is a better poll why not make one? Do you just jump in to threads you do not like insult um then leave? Honestly thats kinda childish, just sayin'. :/

EDIT: answer to your question. I'm not a dev so I do not know. You would need to ask a dev what they are focused on and why they are focused on that. I personally have no opinion how the developement of this game should be as I've never made a game before. Should they focuse on end game stuff before they have mid game stuff in or most if not all machanics in...I honestly do not know but I can see a flaw in your logic. I would direct you to the devs for an answer.

EDIT2: Who is "us" that you refer to? I'm interested to know who it is you speak for.

EDIT3: damn sorry I missed your last question. This thread is not about bringing wellness back but rather its about casting a vote of how you feel regarding food spoiladge and debating eachothers ideas about it.
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 12-01-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post

There are already a bunch of posts saying the same thing: "There are bigger priorities before food spoilage".

This poll isn't asking if the devs should drop everything they're doing right now to work on food spoilage, but rather if food spoilage should be a feature that should be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    If you think there is a better poll why not make one?
    Because the entire game is already planned on an (invisible) roadmap, remember. What's the point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    You strike me as a glass half empty type person. Can you explain why it would never work?
    Can you explain why it would be good?

One reason why it would be bad is that you cannot pick and choose when you harvest meat and animal fat (the 2 most important ingredients for almost every non-schematic recipe). You get them when you encounter an animal. That's RNG basically. Unless you are lucky and have everything else needed ready to cook, and enough people ready to eat the lot, you are just going to force people to watch those ingredients spoil or use them in a sub-par way.

So what we have is our ingredients spoiling if we do not cook them right away, then the coked food spoiling if we do not eat it right away (remember you can only over-eat past max once). That's simply annoying micro.

The use of cooked food is already in decline because of the stupid food poisoning mechanic plus the multiple ways to get safe - and thus 100% superior - canned goods. Spoilage would just be the nail in its coffin. We're already at the point we rarely bother cooking unless our cans are a little low - the fact that it would also spoil when we do cook it would make it a total waste of time.
    Last edited by Ghostlight; 12-01-2019 at 04:06 PM.