Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Nomadic' play style rules and ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Nazdroid View Post
    That does sound very fun! does having the blood moon set to 64 max make the game lag or slower?

i was thinking to set enemy spawning to high, is this even an option anymore? could make it fun during the day to have a lot of zombies around you.
    Iím sure that if I tried playing with all high graphics settings and 64 spawning in, there would be noticeable lag. I keep things medium to low, textures on high, and my old GeForce 970 handles it just fine. I picked up an 11GB 2080ti yesterday during the Cyber Monday sales to finally upgrade.

The Enemy Spawning setting is off or on now, but with how fast the days go by the world spawns and wandering hordes do a pretty good job of keeping you on your toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadon Conners View Post
    My "Nomatic" phase of testing was in late A17. I put the following rules in place for myself then and plan to try the same soon with A18 [...]
    That sounds perfect to satisfy the building needs. It also sounds perfect for a good, very long and thorough play through.

Refugee
    I like nomadic style too every now and then,
    I go -start with 4x4 full tank, level 1 or 2 shovel and wrench (sometimes a bicycle too)
    -never craft a forge or wb
    -no lcb
    -never use a helmet light
    -try avoid using trader
    -90 minute days
    -no bm
    -sprint in day
    -nomad or warrior difficulty
    -no loot respawn (this one keeps you nomadic)

after reading other comments I'm so going to try 10 minute days with hnen

I started up a new game.
    Dead is dead, Nomad, 10 min, BM daily, Max night, zombies jog, default loot % and respawn, default zombie damage, default xp, no air drops, 64 max BM. Same rules I set for myself before... no base, no POIs as a base, no vehicles, I can build boxes to protect chests placed throughout the map.

Much better now. On day 17 and it has been a lot of fun. My gamestage is starting to become large enough for decent BM horde sizes. My first one only had 6 spawn in at once, the day 17 horde seemed to be about 25. Found some lucky goggles, so pretty excited about that.

The biggest threat right now is clearing POIs. It can take a few days to clear a decently-sized one and with wandering hordes happening so much, it is easy to get trapped.

Gonna see how this plays out until I start getting a lot of dogs and vultures every night. If itís not a problem, I might start over yet again and kick up the zombie speed a little more.

My last SP nomad game settings:

- Dead is Dead
    - Objective/Win: Spend 3 days in each town in the map (8192) (I personally need a "Win" condition cus i often get bored in the late game. Other objectives i've already tryed: Find one purple weapon/gun of each / kill 5k zombies or reach lvl 200 / Open all the roads in map riding a bicicle...).
    - 20 min days
    - Horde every night
    - Zombies Block Damage BM: 200%
    - XP 200%
    - 64 zombies BM
    - No loot respawn
    - No Airdrops
    All other settings in vanilla

I've tried 10min days but ironically i find it easier since the BM end so fast that the zombies can't destroy the POIs before BM ends.

Sometimes i play nomad without vehicles... i miss the time before the minibike when travel between towns on foot sometimes took days and was a real adventure, forcing you to sleep over a rock, in a cave (miss caves too) or in a hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeBR View Post
    I've tried 10min days but ironically i find it easier since the BM end so fast that the zombies can't destroy the POIs before BM ends
    That's a good point. If I didn't have my rule that I have to fight the horde in the streets, I would probably do that too. Then again, the fact that you end up with twice as many BMs on 10 min might make it essentially the same anyway... I have no idea. I suppose if you are using POIs, then that might mean a few minutes of extra time for the zeds to huddle up and take advantage of their group damage buff. That's gotta be a fun way to play too though... let yourself use the POIs for BM safety, but not for long, because they'll get destroyed with double block damage.
    The only thing I don't care for in your setup is the double XP... not because gamestage will grow faster, but because you'll have a good many more points to play with in the first few weeks.... just my preference though. The struggle of those initial days are my favorite part of this game no matter how I play it.

Refugee
    I wouldn't say my playstyle is nomadic, but it removes a lot of the grind for me.

Basically, I have taken most of the crafting out of the game and only use what I can find or craft without a station. I can use a firepit and I can use a found mixer. I'll allow limited mods to be built using the workstation if I think it's something I could actually fashion myself.

I also play without traders

Mods (mostly from Jax Teller)
    - 3x random spawn
    - 2x roaming horde size
    - 2x skill points per level
    - Weaken zombies

Settings:
    - warrior
    - 75% loot
    - No blood moon
    - No loot respawn
    - No air drops

NitroGen map
    - No traders!
    - Less cities, farms etc

Oh and I start with a mini bike with a full tank of fuel. ( hate running) 😀

Day 27.
    If I'm not getting the full 64 on screen yet, it's getting close.

A new problem has surfaced. The past few hordes, I've taken a few hits. Surviving the hordes individually is easy, but taking a couple hits each horde, I am having a hard time keeping my health up. I only have single point in healing factor. I think it gives me 2 or 3 hp in between hordes. I've been stuffing myself with food just to keep my hp reasonable.

I've been wishing that biomes other than the desert had plants like aloe to give you a few points here and there... or some other source of hp on a small scale.