Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How and why current food poisoning is bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by theFlu View Post
    No-one else does either. That's the biggest issue anyone seems to have with it...
    Exactly. When it's dangerous it's super-easy to avoid using canned food. Then later it's harmless either because you have enough food that its effect is meaningless or you pop a vitamin and eat what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    Exactly. When it's dangerous it's super-easy to avoid using canned food. Then later it's harmless either because you have enough food that its effect is meaningless or you pop a vitamin and eat what you like.
    At least you have choices and every solution is finite and requires effort. The old system was farm and forget about it first couple of days. In comparison it's better then the old system. 😂

Tracker
    Another food poisoning thread,seriously! Its a non-issue and doesnt hamper you in any way at all. Its mildly inconvenient at best.

Quote Originally Posted by asmosnuts View Post
    Its a non-issue and doesnt hamper you in any way at all. Its mildly inconvenient at best.
    Exactly, so we're asking to make it better? So that it actually feels like a food poisoning when you get it?

Ranger
    When I first started playing A18 I hated the food poisoning aspect of the game. I was getting food poisoning like crazy and it was so annoying. Now that I've played A18 between 200 and 300 hours it is not an issue anymore. I don't have any points in Iron Gut nor do I use vitamins before eating and I don't remember when the last time I've gotten food poisoning. I don't see it being as big of an issue anymore.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjustus548 View Post
    When I first started playing A18 I hated the food poisoning aspect of the game. I was getting food poisoning like crazy and it was so annoying. Now that I've played A18 between 200 and 300 hours it is not an issue anymore. I don't have any points in Iron Gut nor do I use vitamins before eating and I don't remember when the last time I've gotten food poisoning. I don't see it being as big of an issue anymore.
    Me neither, however when I do get it it seems to happen at the worst possible time and a couple of times in a row. Much like the lockpick, I can pick 3 or 4 safes in a row and not lose a pick or I 3-4 four in a row on one safe.

Just gonna leave this here, because I am tired of it:

Good design:
    Do "A" to "B" that might involve "C" that can lead to "D" or "E" which eventually can be overcome by "F".......

Bad design:
    Do "A" which leads you to doing more of "A" again.

One is a gameplay circle that involves the player and his descision.
    The other one is a diceroll simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post

Good design:
    Do "A" to "B" that might involve "C" that can lead to "D" or "E" which eventually can be overcome by "F".......

Bad design:

Would be nice if great design was such a simple thing you can just substitute a few letters in. Which great games out there uses this design? 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Laz Man View Post
    Would be nice if great design was such a simple thing you can just substitute a few letters in. Which great games out there uses this design? 😂😂😂
    It is a simplyfied concept.
    And EVERY GAME EVER uses this concept. Basicially, it is very hard to find a gameplay mechanic that is a challange and completely isolated by itself.
    If you have a gamemechanic, it is connected to a lot of other mechanics.
    I explained this plenty, so I won't give examples again that will be nitpicked because my base point is not understood, sorry.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post

Good design:

Bad design:

Like...

find food, canned, cooked and raw. Eat or cook food.... which might lead to food poisoning, which can cause death or inconvenience, but can be over come by using canned food, using vitamins or perking?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGerry View Post
    Like...

find food, canned, cooked and raw. Eat or cook food.... which might lead to food poisoning, which can cause death or inconvenience, but can be over come by using canned food, using vitamins or perking?
    You do not overcome food poisoning with canned food, vitamins or a perk, you avoid it. Big difference.

You overcome dysentery in the game by drinking goldrod tea and an infection with honey or antibiotics.

Food poisoning lasts less than a second in the game and after that your stomach is empty and you are hungry. Of course you overcome hunger by eating something, but that's exactly what you did a second before you got food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadGerry View Post
    Like...

Well done...😂😂😂😂

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    You do not overcome food poisoning with canned food, vitamins or a perk, you avoid it. Big difference.

You overcome dysentery in the game by drinking goldrod tea and an infection with honey or antibiotics.

Food poisoning lasts less than a second in the game and after that your stomach is empty and you are hungry. Of course you overcome hunger by eating something, but that's exactly what you did a second before you got food poisoning.
    True, but his portrayal is actually a good high level of the current design...which ironically matches viks... lol

What your concerned with sounds like the affect of food poisoning and how it is cured after the fact....

What would be a good alternative that would be similar to how dysentery/infection is cured?

Edit: Here is what WebMD states. Now some of these are the same on how to help diarrhea get treated while others wouldnt be fun to translate in game....hrmmm 🤔

-Avoid food for the first few hours as your stomach settles down (this could turn into an exploit or be too punishing to the player, too much realism)
    -Drink water, broth, or an electrolyte solution, which will replace the minerals that you lose with vomiting and diarrhea (in the current system, this is abstracted by drinking more fluids which is actually less punishing to the player if they dont have tea yet)
    -Eat when you feel ready, but start with small amounts of bland, nonfatty foods such as toast, rice, and crackers
    -Get plenty of rest
    -Stay away from dairy, caffeine, alcohol, bubbly or fizzy drinks, or spicy and fatty foods -- they can just make everything worse
    Last edited by Laz Man; 12-09-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronosphere View Post
    silly complaints, lazy complaintz, that is all i see, the game is easy to play, why do u make it out to be hard? i mean my first day i always can have up too 100 meat plus also can have shotgun and bow and arrrows, i dont get why people complain so much about this, there is several options available for you. i never have issues with food poison. and also after day 3 i am set on food charred or canned, or grilled, depends on the playtrough if i get early pot and grill. if i dont i get dukes then i buy food or drinks. sure 14% isa risk, and i had the ♥♥♥♥s 1 time out 5 playtroughs first week. again i dont see the issues its being a bad design. its rather think before u eat and a challenge to keep staybalized.
    You are supporting the OP.

The fact that the current system presents no real challenge or motivation is the problem - not that it is to difficult to overcome. Nowhere in the OP did I read he was upset because it was to challenging. The system as it stands now is simply pointless - might as well not have it at all.

There are some balance issues as well, cornbread gives 4 stamina and has a 4% chance of getting you sick. IOW, this food in almost universally a bad idea to eat - a food that requires a perk or recipe to even make. Those will get addressed though, the system itself has problems that I am less sure of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katitof View Post
    All of that wall of text and random ideas because you refuse to put 2 points in iron gut perk?

No. That wall of text was ideas how to make the system better. Iron gut is pointless to take because the underlying system itself is pointless. At no time is food poisoning really something that matters.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Liesel Weppen View Post
    But it has other drawbacks. I assume to implement this, each meal needs custom stats... and that would then propably be like the weapons. Which means, you can't stack the meals anymore, not even that ones with equal values.

On the other hand, not being able to stack self cooked meals, might make handling a little bit more difficult and reduce the food overproduction.
    Not really.

You do not need to change the food - just add a resistance multiplier to the player. That is basically combining Master Chef with Iron Gut but as I see literally zero reason to ever perk into Iron Gut or even in Master Chef combining the two does not seem like a bad idea. Honestly, the way food poisoning works right now it negates any actual advantage of getting Master Chef anyway - by the time you have a need of cooking higher tier foods you have found a few recipes for them anyway. you only really need one decent recipe.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post

I'm not sure I agree with your logic; whether you avoid the risk / overcome the risk is a matter os semantics; Food poisoning, like a broken / sprained leg, hunger / thirst / infection / dysentery is a constant possibility. It can be avoided, and you can equip or perk yourself better to avoid it - but you never remove the possibility of it happening - it's just one of many small risks throughout the game that can skunner you to a lesser or greater extent.

Not trying to argue just for the sake of it, but in the excellent Terry Nation original show 'Survivors' they made lots of great points about actually surviving in a post apocalypse - from people dying of toothache and broken legs and minor infections; to insects and vermin running rampant, rabid dogs, cats, bats, badgers and sewage pipes bursting all over the place.

They can't put all of this into the game - but are trying to find ways of adding to the complexity and keeping it from being a simple case of 'I have built a farm, gg'.