Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sleepers, not like the other thread tough.

  1. #1
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1

    Sleepers, not like the other thread tough.

    What bugs me the most in this Alpha, besides the fact that there is everything just lying around and it is as easy as never before and the absolutly horrible hitboxes, are the sleepers and their really deep sleep.

    Just now i run, yes run, up a ladder opening a hatch just to end up face to face with a zombie. And it didnīt react at all. But every freaking zombie down on the streets did. They started banging on walls while Mo was just sitting there waiting to get a bullet in the head.

    Or just pulling the trigger on a AK until your blasted a full magazine, and the whole town including screamers comes for that building you are in, but the Zīs right in the next room? Still sleeping.

    This is really bad tbh. It totally kills the immersion.
    Last edited by pApA^LeGBa; 12-30-2019 at 12:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Inventor Boidster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    970
    Rep Power
    1
    Not denying your experience - I've seen things like that as well - but just the other day I had the opposite experience. We were clearing out the upper floors of an apartment building and my friend went up a fallen ceiling "ramp" to look around and he said there were several sleepers up there.

    I Leeroy Jenkins'd up there to help him and...stepped on a piece of trash on the floor. All of the sleepers woke up including a few in the floor above. Big Mamas, bikers, an irradiated or two, plus several "normals" all at once. Did I mention it was at night? It was at night. With the weapon flashlight mod "cone of light in utter darkness" look, it really took on a zombie horror-movie vibe. I was down to 4HP at one point and killed the last zombie with my last 9mm bullet. Fun!

    All this time I thought my friend was chopping up the little trash piles because he...needed paper or glass? For some reason I had never been concerned about the "kicking the can" sound when you step on one. I will be more concerned from now on.

    Sorta back to your point tho - stepping on a bit of paper will wake them all up, but taking my fireaxe to the trash doesn't? I prefer my zombie apocalypses with more realism, dammit!

  3. #3
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    Well now i am concerned that i have a bug. But i could swear that i saw this in several YT Vids aswell. And i just had it again, i busted open one of these doors where they hide in the cupboards with the bow. The arrow wasnīt only floating in the air, it was 1cm away from a still sleeping Z.

    Stepping on that trash usually wakes up the whole room for me, not the whole POI.
    Last edited by pApA^LeGBa; 12-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Nomad theFlu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    1
    The sleepers are just all over the place; some wake up essentially upon spawn. Some don't hear anything.. like the rooftop of the hospital, I've snuck up the stairs to the last group there and shot them from stealth with a hunting rifle. One by one, no reaction.

  5. #5
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    This is so effin BS. Just did Shamway factory, lured out everyone on the ground floor, ran trough it, shooting my double barrel like crazy, finally got em out to fight them. All done went back in, 5 sleepers still sleeping. Even a screamer showed up outside. WTF? I knew i ran past 2 while shooting and they still stay asleep?

  6. #6
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    9,173
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    This is so effin BS. Just did Shamway factory, lured out everyone on the ground floor, ran trough it, shooting my double barrel like crazy, finally got em out to fight them. All done went back in, 5 sleepers still sleeping. Even a screamer showed up outside. WTF? I knew i ran past 2 while shooting and they still stay asleep?
    You can't lure all the Z's out of a POI since a17. If you go outside without clearing the sleeper volumes, they will respawn. POI's have more than one sleeper volume area.

  7. #7
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    Well this is BS. Artifical to the max. And it eats spears as i recognized yesterday. Died to a sleeper who had my spear in it. Sleeper back on positon, spear gone. Even more BS. And why do they go back to their positions once they woke up and killed me? They should be roaming around. At least for a while. Goodbye immersion.

  8. #8
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    Well this is BS. Artifical to the max. And it eats spears as i recognized yesterday. Died to a sleeper who had my spear in it. Sleeper back on positon, spear gone. Even more BS. And why do they go back to their positions once they woke up and killed me? They should be roaming around. At least for a while. Goodbye immersion.
    were you not here for the last development where one of the developers talked in great length about how this system works?

    it would not surprise me if the whole point of this system was to keep players like you from cheezing the pois just like you all cheeze bloodmoon, and your bases, and make fall pits so you can play with the least amount of actual effort possible. same reason they brought back the digging zeds

    the only issue is you trying to cheat the system, and then complaining when your cheat doesn't work
    i can already imagine the qq-ing that will happn when they make is so you can't escape bm on your vehicles

  9. #9
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    WTF? Luring zombies outside is cheating? Are you drunk? I actually did that because i had to absolut newbies with me on their first few hours.

    And how do you know how i spend my bloodmoons? Stop jumping to conclusions. Just fyi i never did a BM on a vehicle. I do them on the ground by foot sometimes for fun.

    Also if those sleepers spawn back to their positions once you die to them, it makes it easier, itīs basically built in cheesing from the devs, you do realize that?

    You exactly know where to expect them and you are able to get the cheap sneak damage, now that is cheesing. Especially with those who are hidden behind covers, those stay destroyed. If they stay awake you have no clue where they are when you come back.

    @Sylen Thunder What about a spear that was stuck in a sleeper when you die and is not stuck on the sleeper anymore when he respawns in his position? Is that intended?
    Last edited by pApA^LeGBa; 01-05-2020 at 10:31 AM.

  10. #10
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    9,173
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    WTF? Luring zombies outside is cheating? Are you drunk? I actually did that because i had to absolut newbies with me on their first few hours.

    ...

    Also if those sleepers spawn back to their positions once you die to them, it makes it easier, itīs basically built in cheesing from the devs, you do realize that?

    You exactly know where to expect them and you are able to get the cheap sneak damage, now that is cheesing. Especially with those who are hidden behind covers, those stay destroyed. If they stay awake you have no clue where they are when you come back.
    The developers are making the game to be a challenge. If you attempt to remove the challenge, they will find a way around it.
    Things that have been changed specifically because this, and because the developers are creating a game with the challenges they want.

    • Zombie fall damage nerfed to combat fall pits.
    • Zombies dig to combat underground safe bases. (They dug originally, but it was removed because they really screwed up the terrain. We had serious swiss cheese terrain there.)
    • Log spikes removed because they were OP, didn't work in the manner the Developer intended, and because they were abused by players.
    • Sleeper zones were created to give a better experience in crawling a POI, and assists with the integration of the quest system. It also provides some performance benefits. I can't say for certain if it was intended directly to combat cheezing the POI by drawing the zeds out for easy kills, but it seems likely.
    • You can't run backwards anymore for easy kiting and killing. Now it takes some skill and effort.
    • Zombies now have a chance to rage and run at you in a fight. This adds difficulty to both melee and ranged attacks, and greatly improves immersion.


    That's just a short list off the top of my head. I'm sure if I really spent time on it, I could come up with about 20 other mechanics people have complained about over the past 5 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    @Sylen Thunder What about a spear that was stuck in a sleeper when you die and is not stuck on the sleeper anymore when he respawns in his position? Is that intended?
    Intended mechanic. You aren't going to retrieve 100% of your projectile weapons. There is a chance they will break, and no longer be usable. Same thing has been with arrows for quite a while now, and you don't see anyone complaining about that.
    It's a risk you take every time you throw it.

    Personally, I wish that you could stack spears by 5 or 10 so that you could more effectively use them as a projectile weapon.

  11. #11
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    The spear wasnīt broken. It was there stuck in the zombie when i died, i saw the text "press E" popping up but couldnīt grab it in time. I would understand if it breaks, but like that? That is just cheap.

    Also the respawn of sleepers when you die basically is cheesing. Itīs way easier when you die and they sleep again. Compared to when they stay alive and you have no clue behind wich corner they will jump at you, when you come back to get your stuff.

    I only miss the logspikes because they look way better. Canīt we have those with the same stats like wooden/iron spikes? Maybe give us shapes for the existing spikes?

    Also if they try to challenge us, why is there so much material just lying around including functioning workstations? Thatīs basically like they wish we have inpenetrable bases on day 7. (Well until the demolisher shows up)
    Last edited by pApA^LeGBa; 01-05-2020 at 11:42 AM.

  12. #12
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by linewalker View Post
    it would not surprise me if the whole point of this system was to keep players like you from cheezing the pois
    Not sure I consider luring Zs outside rather than fighting in confined quarters cheese. It sounds tactical. As Brad Pitt said in Inglorious Basterds "The worst part about fighting in a basement, is that you're fighting in a basement". Esp. once feral/green Z are concerned.

    Now, doing things inside like putting down hatches in a doorway to melee zombies might be more questionable. But again, I think of that more as players finding creative ways to play tactically.

    The problem become when people expect to be able to do those things all the time as a 100% failsafe.
    Last edited by badgerpns; 01-05-2020 at 02:38 PM.

  13. #13
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by linewalker View Post
    it would not surprise me if the whole point of this system was to keep players like you from cheezing the pois just like you all cheeze bloodmoon, and your bases, and make fall pits so you can play with the least amount of actual effort possible. same reason they brought back the digging zeds
    Luring zombies out of a building to kill them is cheating? Seems like forced stupid to make you fight them indoors.

  14. #14
    Inventor Boidster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    970
    Rep Power
    1
    Ugh, "cheese". There. Is. No. Cheese.

    We all talk about immersion and how more immersion = better. I agree. However if you truly try to immerse yourself in this world - an actual freaking zombie apocalypse - then the idea of "cheese" goes right out the damn window. In an actual zombie apocalypse you will do any thing you can, and exploit any zombie behavior - no matter how stupid - in order to survive another day. This is not a competition between us survivors as to who can be the most l33t or legit. It's a competition between you and the f'd-up world to make it through each day. You survive, you win.

  15. #15
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    1
    This guy who is raging about cheesing just needs to show off how "cool and pro" he is. In a non competitive, SP/Coop focused game. We should actually pity him.

    I would be nice to know if the spear dissappearing after me dying and the sleeper respawning even when it did not break, saw the "press E" popping up, is intended or not. I can just make another bug report topic tough...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •