Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CreaturePacks - A community entity project

Well, commenting out the JoelTrader from the entitygroups didn't work, as I'm still getting the NRE's.

Also, is there a way to remove the bandit arrows that get stuck in you when the bandit archer shoots you?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by CrypticGirl View Post
    Also, is there a way to remove the bandit arrows that get stuck in you when the bandit archer shoots you?
    From my experience with the original SDX (later DMT) version of the mod, the only thing that works is exit and load the world again.

EDIT: Not sure, but if you play in multiplayer, your friend may be able to pick it up, but we haven't tested this.

Well, commenting out the JoelTrader from the entitygroups didn't work, as I'm still getting the NRE's.

The NRE may linger until you start a new game. I appologise for that error. The arrows can usually be removed in third person view or by another player. They will automatically removed when you restart the game. You can edit the items.xml in the modlet to stop sticky arrows. I will document that in the next version.

I did start a new game, but the error still persisted.

So if we stop sticky arrows in the items.xml, does it affect all arrows, or just the bandit ones?

I did start a new game, but the error still persisted.

So if we stop sticky arrows in the items.xml, does it affect all arrows, or just the bandit ones?
    A new game should not error if the trader is not spawning. Either you made an error in editing the file or you have found an unrelated error. If you can link to your logfiles perhaps we can find the error. This is the first report of an NRE error since tearing began. I believe you can take the sticky property just off the bandit arrow ammo item.
    Last edited by xyth; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:41 AM.

Double checking the entitygroups.xml (and your instructions, in case I misread), the JoelTrader is currently commented out. Just to make sure I have it right, it's only the JoelTrader entity I'd need to comment out of the entitygroups.xml? Or do I need to comment out the JoelBandit entity as well?

Just the trader version.

Well, I'm stumped then. Here's the output log... output_log__2020-01-17__20-39-21.txt

I see lots of Xpath errors in the log so its hard to know whats causing it. The error seems to happen during some NPC interaction so I will do additional testing to see if I can replicate your issue.

So it seems there is a vanilla bug (not a modlet bug) where any entity class that extends off of the EntityNPC class (This means bandits, traders and survivors) will cause an NRE when they wander into the protected trader area. This was a known issue for traders, but will also include the bandits and traders. Removing the trader area protection is the known fix but that introduces a small bug where 2 traders might spawn in a trader POI. We will research if there is any other alternate fix but likely we will need to create a code fix and ask TFP to add that to a future vanilla game release.

Zombie and animal characters are unaffected by this bug.
    Last edited by xyth; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:06 AM.

Pushed version 1.01: Made all bandits, survivors and wandering traders territorial and lowered chase time towards nonplayers to 5 seconds. This will dramatically reduce the ranging of these characters so it then becomes much less likely they will wander into a trading posts protection area. If they do, killing the entity (the console command "killall" works too) will clear the NRE is this rare event should occur.

We are still pursuing other fixes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xyth View Post
    Also, Sphereii and I discussed getting the old UMA bandits working again.
    uRock.jpg

Is there a way to make these entities stay within a certain area? Like a Poi; they would guard and only chase you to the front door then turn around and go back? This would be for setting up bases and patrols I guess, among other things. Never leaving a designated area.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Is there a way to make these entities stay within a certain area? Like a Poi; they would guard and only chase you to the front door then turn around and go back? This would be for setting up bases and patrols I guess, among other things. Never leaving a designated area.
    Depending on which type of character you are referring to (bandits, survivors, wandering traders), you will probably need the DMT version to give them specific tasks like that.

Without DMT you can't "make them stay" within a certain area, but you can strongly encourage them to do so with just xml edits :-)

The territorial AI task is designed to return a character to its starting "area" using its spawn point as a location. This wont return him to the exact spot but he will return to the rough area and remain around there until pulled away. You can remove the breakblock task so the character cant get out of a poi easily. This can be improved by lowering its AI intelligence so it cant find paths out well. You can give them very poor senses so they wont be easily pulled away by chasing targets. You can reduce the chase time as well. There are other xml tricks too, so play with it until you get close to what you want.