Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about game difficulty and co-op multiplayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    To be a little more constructive to the OP, try these settings....

Set Difficulty to something low.
    Set XP gain to 300%
    Max Alive: 24 zombies

Net effect....your gamestage rises quickly so you get more zombies and the more dangerous zombies faster, however the lower difficulty means they remain fun to fight and are never bullet sponges. I think as many zombies as possible but they being easy to kill is the sweet spot.
    That's how I enjoy playing as well. Default or Nomad difficulty with zombie counts raised so they aren't health sponges, but there's a lot instead. I'm personally not a fan of the difficulty scaling in 7 days, really, as I find it a little obnoxious that multiple head shots wouldn't kill a zombie, but that's just my own personal taste. I enjoy a more 'walking dead' style zombie experience.

That's the joy about the game, after all. It can be modded and changed to fit a wide variety of playstyles.

Never, ever saw that behavior. Used to get swarmed at night. No way we'd leave the base.

Never saw that either.

No, in the end I didn't. All my friends quit the game and I do not enjoy it solo tbh, so....I've no touched the game for weeks. They will likely be back by A19.

Set XP gain to 300%

Net effect....your gamestage rises quickly so you get more zombies and the more dangerous zombies faster, however the lower difficulty means they remain fun to fight and are never bullet sponges. I think as many zombies as possible but they being easy to kill is the sweet spot.
    Stuff that you have never seen or experienced doesn't mean that they didn't exist, that means that you might have not encountered them before... For me I have actually came across (and even still come across) zombies running in circles and even getting stuck on grass and decorations...

And about your difficulty suggestion, it's not bad but it makes the game more about shooting than trying to survive and have fun... Because in Alpha 18 you have a very high chance of getting a very powerful weapon day-one and with that difficulty it will be basically sandbox mode lmao.

Refugee
    The challenge in 7D2D is in early game. After you have your Q5 or Q6 M60 and are mass producing ammunition it really does not matter anymore what is the "difficulty" setting - all it changes is the number of bullets you are using per zombie, but you can afford them bullets even if it does not make "economic sense" as you can mass produce that stuff.

Your usual settings cut the early game struggle much shorter, while, arguably, this is "the game" and the things you are doing once established is just an overly extended prologue.

But people like different things. In the current game I'm playing we have around 6 more or less regular players, multiplayer co-op. Two of the dudes were happy as clams first few weeks but are getting a bit bored now that it's ~day 45 and we can have 6 workbenches just pumping out ammunition 24/7. We have been ramping up difficultly slowly, just the other night we switched nighttime zeds to "nightmare" speed and daytime zombies to "jog" from "walk". Last blood moon we faced 1863 zombies altogether and half of us got killed when the building we were using to fight them collapsed near morning. It was morning before we were able to exhaust the zed supply. We have about three "builders", on the other hand who are now happier than they were in the beginning. They are no longer "struggling" so much and can focus on cranking out toys they like. Erecting huge cobblestone pillars to demonstrate their manliness to the zombies, mass producing gyrochopters and ammo, farming, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one size shoe does not fit all.

I guess your friend is more of a "hardcore" player. While you sound like liking more the traditional zombie shooter aspect where a player can reliably best a zombie and usually does not die unless doing something stupid.

For reference, these are the changes we have done in our multiplayer compared to vanilla. difficulty 3 (warrior) meaning zeds do 150% damage and players 75%, day 120 min, bloodmoon interval 20 days, airdrop 168h (7 days). House rule of not building a spearate base for blood moon but taking on the hord in our main base. House rule of not abusing AI pathfinding for bases - the thing we build must be beliveable (we do use the steep angle walls but have limited ourselves to max 3 tiles high). 12 zeds per player during bloodmoon. Players drop everything on death.

We have already agreed that when we start a next map we will dramatically drop the loot percentage somewhere to around 10-20% of the default. Few other changes as well - probably longer nights.

If you are interested in playing with your friend what you could try is to dramatically drop the loot percentage instead of going nuts with difficulty settings. There is an additional possible house rule of not using the bedroll (in combination of player dropping all eq on death) meaning you might need to travel few km naked to get your stuff back.

16 km map is btw a bit too large for two players. depends on the map and settings and if any role playing is involved.

Never, ever saw that behavior. Used to get swarmed at night. No way we'd leave the base.

Never saw that either.

No, in the end I didn't. All my friends quit the game and I do not enjoy it solo tbh, so....I've no touched the game for weeks. They will likely be back by A19.

Set XP gain to 300%

I was talking about the other six nights of the week not the one night where they do gps to the player.....

I remember those stupid circling zombies. I almost find it easier now that they will actually run at me vs. spinning madly in circles.

In regard to difficulty, I have it set to "standard", but have slowed the zombies at night to a jog vs. run. We have added many more zombies and animals to the world by adjusting the Spawning.xml on the server. We have significant amounts of zombies in the Wasteland (all the time) and Burnt (at night) biomes. We have also bumped up the other biome zombie counts slightly. We do this to give players who want more challenge, a place to go on the map where they are guaranteed to get hurt, but also places like the desert or snow biome where they won't be bothered nearly as much. We have left the XP at default (bump it up on special occasions), but have added more standard ammo available to find in the world or buy from the trader to compensate for the many extra zombies in world.

That balance has seemed to satisfy all our players. We also have added a few extra mods like the BDub's vehicle pack and larger backpack. The larger POI's are great but the loot we find can fill up our coffers too quickly so we made the executive decision to bump up storage and increase stack sizes.

You would be surprised at how easy it is to change all sorts of settings and tweaks just by adjusting a few numbers in the xml's. Don't be afraid to check them out and tweak accordingly.

Refugee
    My wife and I play on standard settings, but Horde night every 5th... I wanted every night but its a bit tough for her. Until we joined her brothers server, and he had everything on easy mode. Now she wants to start again with easier settings. It was fun rummaging to find bullets for her before the Horde, but playing the brothers server, it kinda felt like we were playing in creative mode.

Ive agreed to play with higher XP, but only because I want to try out new talent builds. Im thinking of a build inspired by the engineer in Team Fortress 2, with buffed turrets and healing to team members.. but after that I can see myself getting bored really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    btw....did you increase your zombie counts? THAT makes a difference at night. You actually feel like you have to sneak and use rocks as misdirection when there is a crowd wandering around in the dark.
    I have tried this at last. I've put perception, or whatever it is to 200, raised the zombie number to 10 in all biomes, day and night, and set respawn to 0.1. It's better yes but still not quite there. They come very much in waves then when the immediate area is clear there tends to be a lull, which I dislike. Still not quite A15/A16. Will probably drop respawn further. I really want them almost constant and everywhere and always coming towards me, the way it feels in State of Decay. I am constantly on edge and tense in that game if outside the base, and at night....wow. Scary, wonderful game. Zombies always closing. No room to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by edyonline View Post
    My wife and I play on standard settings, but Horde night every 5th... I wanted every night but its a bit tough for her. Until we joined her brothers server, and he had everything on easy mode. Now she wants to start again with easier settings. It was fun rummaging to find bullets for her before the Horde, but playing the brothers server, it kinda felt like we were playing in creative mode.

Ive agreed to play with higher XP, but only because I want to try out new talent builds. Im thinking of a build inspired by the engineer in Team Fortress 2, with buffed turrets and healing to team members.. but after that I can see myself getting bored really quickly.
    Since you have your own server, you could do this: Ask your wife which attribute and weapons she wants to use. Agree with your brother to never use those weapons. Mod the server so that those weapons do 1.5 or 2 times as much damage. (You could also give this functionality to a weapon mod and just give her the mod. Then you don't need to agree which weapons to use)

And/or: Agree with your brother to never use the better armor mod (the one you put in armor and it gives +2 armor). Change that mod to give +3 armor (if she uses heavy armor) or even +4 or +5 (if she uses light armor), give her two such mods and one piece of armor as starting equipment.

Then you can play on higher difficulties.
    Last edited by meganoth; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:21 PM.