Thread: Unlabeled canned goods

Tracker

Unlabeled canned goods

Picked up a case of cat food (in real life) the other day and half the labels were falling off. That got us to thinking that we need unlabeled canned goods in game. Just think, you pick up a can but have no idea what is in it. When you eat the contents, you get a random food effect ... including the possibility of food poisoning.

Refugee
    I like that ideal

Could be cat food, could be tuna, could be botulism...
    Unless I was desperate, I would just ignore them and go for something I can predict. Even an stack of old sham sandwich's can be good if you are hunkered down for the night, and have a toilet nearby.

Reconstructionist
    Sorry, but I don't like the idea of finding some "random" thing that "might" food poison you...

In real life you could use your senses (smell/sight) to figure out what food it is and if it's spoiled.

Tracker
    I also dont really like the idea. Yes cans tend to loose their labels. But on the other hand if you open such a can you will still know whats inside and if its safe to eat. Its not like opening up a can starts a deus ex machina forcing you to eat whatever is inside.

And by thinking about this - the only thing those cans would do is waste inventory space until you open them and decide to drop or eat them.

But i like the general idea of adding random elements that will suprise the player.
    Last edited by HerbKerbal; 09-21-2014 at 09:04 AM.

why not change the idea a little bit then? You find an unlabeled can, and you have the possibility to open it. After you've opened it, the food will get a name (when hovered over). That way, you know what is in it, but it will still be a surprise

Zombie Hunter
    Or may it not give poison or other things, "just" the random food effect (health water and fulness)? it can be any caned food, but randomized?