Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfy's Survival Guide(How to survive Day 1 and set up a base in 72 hours.)

Post Wolfy's Survival Guide(How to survive Day 1 and set up a base in hours.)

Hey Survivors...

I'm a Apoc. Survivor like all of you but one thing that would probably differ me from the majority is I'm a Team/Solo player and i know how to do it well.

I may not be a PVP Pro or the best of best but i can attest and show you i am one of the best or around that niche.

So you just spawned in and you're probably a newby, scrub, green horn, pfft what ever.. or who cares, my guide will keep you alive at least for the 24 hours which is pretty crucial and well yeah it takes a bit of patience. Rules to follow and use as a guide:

#0. LOCATION LOCATION...GOD Dammit LOCATION SON! Check your map First(press on the letter M button/key)
    7dtd map.jpg
    #1. fresh on a spawn before you gun it to the nearest residential area, ramsack the nearest loot source (There's usually a car..couple bags/half destroyed boxes crushed and possibly a half eaten body. 7dtd fresh spawn.jpg

#2. Seeing as you dont have an axe... Use your hands and knock down a tree( yes this will take time but having at least 3-4 tree trunks will guaranty you much needed tools or defenses) and lastly create a couple sleeping bags for later use/spawning zones

#3 So depending on where you are (revert to your map....Personally Diersville is your best bet of survival) {This varies depending on those wanna be rambo idgf types or i saw it on youtube gamers}
    - Okay so many of you would query my insight and be like Wolfy but why would i run my ass all the way from Grave Town or from that Sand portion of the map.
    *Reason 1- Unlimited wood (trees) which can be used to make storage chests.
    *Reason 2-Food/Water/Guns/Scrap Metal
    *Reason 3- Beast your way through any bag/ house/ container/ tree trunk with a black or reddish covering etc etc cars... and bridge railing... If you're smart you can understand my reasoning.

#4 Water is your best friend until you discover yucca juice, make sure you have at least 3-4 stacks of 5 on you especially if you're on a sprinting marathon.

#5 make sure you keep an eye on the Time Counter it's on a 24 clock system and depending on who's hosting ..Time fly's

#6 So if you manage to reach Diersville by lunch time or early mid Afternoon game time... (this is House hunting pick choose and refuse.)
    -Don't be a picky ♥♥♥♥er
    -Don't worry about basements for mining
    -Don't waste time with spikes
    -Get your arse up to the 2nd floor .. Make a pickaxe, Fire Axe, Torches and Turn some of that boxed Wood into planks and create chests.
    Item Configurations.jpg
    -Dump your excess baggage into your chests.... Now for those really slow people who cant seem to grasp the simple rules and you for some reason have no more wood or can't make chests then use the chester draws boxes and what not as your temp. Storage until you learn necessary baby footstep skills for making storage units.

#7 screw Laying spikes or even making any which refers to Rule/Guide#6 take out your Axe and take out the stairs to the 2nd floor and i mean the entire Stairway. Then block it off with wooden blocks should just take 6 blocks. now that that's done It should be about 19:00 place some torches inside clear out curtains for cloth and clean out any loot if you actually made chests.

#8 Access What loot/goods/merchandise you have. Organize some of it in your storage and proportion off some water/food/1 guns and some ammo.

#9 morning hours Go knock down some trees again make more storage and if you're those paranoid newbies sure sure make some spikes since you're such a big baby. This shouldn't take you more than 1 game hour after doing that Loot every major house for more food or if you have food by pass that and check every garage.
    -Reason you may find a chainsaw or Auger (this varies as you can find more than 5-8 of them)
    -(other Auger/Chainsaw spawns are in that Huge Plant/Factory down south)

#10 Do this for the next day and a half (including as much scrap metal from railings etc etc.)

#11 Day 3/4 now you can chose to build where ever on the map but remember location location location. Chose a location close yet further away from residential zones depending on what game mode/settings is in place for that particular server. Base Building commences when you choose a location. I personally i love to build around Spillway or up north or maybe near Diersville.
    Reason-Soil for a farm.
    Reason-Corn/Blue Berry is are easy to find/get (Corn around that farm across the bridge.) Blue berry can be found almost any where in the northern section, Potatoes are another story ( you can find seeds in cupboards in one of the kitchens in one of the houses.
    Reason-- Water access from a natural source is easy to access for easy glass jars refills.

#12 From day 4-7 Focus on building an encasement which has spikes around it. At least 6 rows on every side. Your encasement shoud have 2 layers of stone if possible or you can use tree trunks. Now Take note(NB*) you should be traveling every day to and fro or spawning on your bed back at temp. home base to your main base.

#13 Day 8, week 2 (day 1 of this week now) by now you should have accomplished sufficient head way with stone and ores..etc work on a wall..create a trench about 3-5 stones deep and wide dump either spikes or tree trunks or landmines or go deeper ...Defenses vary on you. Finish off your main base defenses and re-fortify broken down walls spikes what ever.

#14 Week 2 (day 2 ) Focus on creating a farm... a small farm should suffice unless you are in a group of 3-4 and you have to support others, 3-4 block soil farm for corn potato and blue berries is good enough but if you like me.. 3 column rows of each does the trick.

#15 Okay Within Week 2 you should be set to take on day 100 but be sure to keep up continued constant repair of your defenses.

<***** If you make a huge wall complex make sure to raise it high and have a lip or catwalk outward so spider zombies cant get up and over (Also be sure to eventually add Reinforced Concrete as the major wall defending it)****>

Alright That's it for your main base of operations. Now that you're set up and you have your home/defense and farm along with your storage etc etc You need ease of access for goods.

#1 Create a couple beds, take a crap load of water... some food/ammo and a gun or 2

#2 Depending on your location, verify and signify major spawn zones of necessity that you will have to or need to go for supplies like sand.

#3 Try to have at least a minimum of 2-4 mini bases around the map with bed spawns and adequate defense/storage capability eventually you will expand each of them into major bases and centralized your self within one of them.

NB* Now that that you have mastered a simple 2 week plan for your private building which is like a 2 real life days (2-5 hours per day building schedule.

************This Varies upon Coop and PVP Servers*********************
    (Coop servers may not have or may have pvp disabled/enabled but your loot is your treasure/assets/investment make sure It's safe)
    -okay so now you're like but wolfy why are you telling me this now. (odds of you running into a non-friendly player in a coop server is 50-50 most servers have friendly players and even if you wanted to hide, your player icon shows on the map along with your sleeping bag or bed.
    -PVP Servers - The spawn on sleeping bag system is still in alpha stage use >.> your bed if i aint mistaken it shows still. but your icon doesnt show, but again this varies depending on host/server as some have the player icon enabled.

okay So now that you have semi-mastered the 7 day's to die gamer knowledge need to know info you're ready to Survive.
    How long? This all depends on how smart/cunning/paranoid/ stealth like you can be or even ingenuitive you can be.

youtube Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdG_U...ature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i58TM...ature=youtu.be
    Sample of what i've accomplish with a little help (90% is pretty much much my doing)
    Last edited by wolfy23; 12-04-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Critics/ suggestions are welcome lol or even your opinion

nothing that has not been posted in several survival posts already. Some of the stuff is your own opinion and maybe not what you could or what is best.

hm Its not about if it has been posted or not...nor is it about opinion whether mine or if its the best... i made mention of that clearly when i started this particular thread!

8-/ As far as im concerned its the safest and easiest way to get things done within a 2-3 game day cycle of gathering supplies and actually setting up a foundation to actually having a stable main base to start mining. This is for newbies who are on it to get set up not go sight seeing. And thats because the server setting im on is on the the hardest mode. And even though it's a bit cliche doing bunker or square boxed buildings .-. it's from scratch and it takes more effort vs the lazy man (so call pro way of doing things) taking over a house and defensing it hell for the time they mess with beautifying a building i have a complex up with everything i need. So if you gonna lecture me on your opinion haha then go right a head bud... works for me and thats because im doing it solo most of the times If i had one of my co clan mates i'd have a base built with in 2 game days with a reasonable safe zone with enough supplies. but anyways im just providing them with an option

well i was gonna say is seems slow i would have all that done in a few days rather than into week 2. Straight off the bat its seems you're the one trying to lecture and tell people how to play your style. ease up and enjoy the forums

lol what ever you say mr. Pro.... I Aint even lecturing or forcing anyone... I'm offering a solid slow but fast way to get a safety net around them which is geared to new people not ...players who've been around and are picky about other's trying to help others.

Not trying to be pissy here but if all you have is that you can do better and faster then good ...leave it as such but im looking for actual suggestions rather than trying to negatively demean what i've done. o.O im here in the forums having fun and enjoying it already. As far as i've noticed people have just given bits and pieces of advice ... im giving them a descriptive yet summed up building guide. Now If you please... can you move along and let others speak their mind But thanks for trying to make what im saying childish

Just so everyone notices... It's an optional guide and i took my time to express a portion of what i do. Now for othe critical people who can't seem to get past this as a lecture...It's just a helpful straight up way. If you dont see it as that then im sorry for disappointing ya aight !

you need no help from me in making what you say look childish you are doing that all by your lonesome, so i take it "Critics/ suggestions are welcome lol or even your opinion" you never really meant that did you. Just sounds like you have an attitude straight off the bat, Like i said nothing in this has not been said before but in a more clearer way. there are dozen of post titled survival guide., but good luck and enjoy the game.

Good post - with a good plan. One of the biggest issues with surviving initially without dying over and over or getting into real problems - you have to have an organized plan of what to do when and that's what he has posted here. I thhink we all know - even noobs - surviving the first night is either up high with blocked openings or deep in the ground with only a block opening in size. Going forward and what to do after that first night can really make a difference with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by rentechd View Post
    Good post - with a good plan. One of the biggest issues with surviving initially without dying over and over or getting into real problems - you have to have an organized plan of what to do when and that's what he has posted here. I thhink we all know - even noobs - surviving the first night is either up high with blocked openings or deep in the ground with only a block opening in size. Going forward and what to do after that first night can really make a difference with a plan.
    Finally someone with a mature way of thinking Thanks Ren :P

Colony Founder
    Well, you specifically asked for feedback, so I'll share my thoughts. Feel free to ignore them, lol. This is very much one person's way to do it. I disagree with much of the advice personally, but not that it couldn't work - I'm sure it works for you. I do it much differently and prefer my own way.

Zombies spawn in and around structures - which Diersville is chock full of. It's not uncommon to encounter an acid puking hulk on night 1 in Diersville even. I think it's easiest and safest to quickly gather just what's needed for a pick axe, a few torches (tree + grass is good) and hit maybe 1 house for water and food (2 max - the biggest noob mistake is spending too much time looting before night falls: you can get that stuff on day 2) then pick a spot OUTSIDE the city - away from buildings (and spawn points) a bit. Dig down until you have 2 or 3 layers of stone above you, take some of that stone you dug out and replace it in the entrance to seal yourself in - now safely spend the night mining or clearing out a room or two for a temp base. I'll leave it at that - plenty of random advice in your post to fill in the gaps.

All this is, is a guide for idiots pretty much. Its common sense that he wrote down and compiled.
    I personally wouldnt waste my time explaining common information like this.

7DTD is an extremely noob friendly game.

I normally dig the ground out from under a tree to get wood. If I have time I will bust of trash cans and rails to get metal. Turn candy tins, hub caps and air filters into scrap metal. Create me a pick and collect berries. I convert my wood to planks and rush to a water hole of some kind. Preferably a water hole where you can access dirt. Then I make a plus sign in the water with the planks +. I plink out the center and dig down 4 blocks (reaching stone). While facing the wall in front of me, I plink out the block that is one higher and two higher than the level I am standing in. Next, I break one of the planks out allowing the water to flow into the hole. I hop up on the hole I had just dug, dig a hole for a torch, then I proceed to collect dirt without popping any holes above me. Zom's can dig in water and I can collect all the dirt/clay that I want. Dig down into the stone, plant a berry garden and I already have enough berries to provide me with food and liquid.

w=water, b=box g=ground, e=empty space. Break one of the boxes and it will flow down and stop at the stone hole you left.

wwww
    b bwwwwww
    ggggg ggggggg
    geeeeeggggggg
    geeeeeggggggg
    sssssesssssss
    sssssssssssss

Break that box and let the water in!
    wwwwwwbwwwwww
    gggggwggggggg
    geeeewggggggg
    geeeewggggggg
    ssssswsssssss
    sssssssssssss

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by legionpete; 12-04-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeastConcern View Post
    Well, you specifically asked for feedback, so I'll share my thoughts. Feel free to ignore them, lol. This is very much one person's way to do it. I disagree with much of the advice personally, but not that it couldn't work - I'm sure it works for you. I do it much differently and prefer my own way.

Zombies spawn in and around structures - which Diersville is chock full of. It's not uncommon to encounter an acid puking hulk on night 1 in Diersville even. I think it's easiest and safest to quickly gather just what's needed for a pick axe, a few torches (tree + grass is good) and hit maybe 1 house for water and food (2 max - the biggest noob mistake is spending too much time looting before night falls: you can get that stuff on day 2) then pick a spot OUTSIDE the city - away from buildings (and spawn points) a bit. Dig down until you have 2 or 3 layers of stone above you, take some of that stone you dug out and replace it in the entrance to seal yourself in - now safely spend the night mining or clearing out a room or two for a temp base. I'll leave it at that - plenty of random advice in your post to fill in the gaps.
    ok so i skimmed tru what you said and again ... Like what ren said above there in a comment... any noob can dig a whole and use a small tiny 3-4 block bunker... but then again not even that helps much sometimes.... you got the concept wrong ...the temp base in Diersville is not meant to be lived in after day 3 though you can still stay there for about 2 weeks with out worry.

What you fail to realize is during the 1st week is you build during the day at your location out of the residential areas ..it aint my problem if you want to build there ... I implore you to read it again if you missed the fact about location location location but then again most 1st day players have this opinion about getto bases for a 1 night stand. Look it doesnt take a smart 9 yr old who still squeaks to realize the relevance or how to progress but the point is to build and now have any harm to ur base over the night mean while you store and build and when its liveable and worth staying there

Look people my thread has nothing to do with building your base in a town (main base) or residential zone. If you guys cant read just english then i assure you ...somthing is wrong but seriously and honestly

THIS IS A GUIDE TO YOU BUILDING YOUR BASE ANY WHERE IN THE MAP...THATS ALL...DIERSVILE IS JUST A REST STOP AND TEMP STAY.

-Thanks for you comment ...though i understand what you said you pretty much just epicly got the idea wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Stisis View Post
    All this is, is a guide for idiots pretty much. Its common sense that he wrote down and compiled.
    I personally wouldnt waste my time explaining common information like this.

7DTD is an extremely noob friendly game.
    Um its not a noob friendly game if it were ...many people wouldnt be like i wish i knew stuff and even if they knew it now they'd still go youtube or wiki info just to learn stuff

I will say on part of "is a guide for idiots pretty much" but i wont admit or support you on this "Its common sense " ..if it were then this game wouldn't need team players and the game would be boring by now beacuse everyone knew what to do so easily

Ive done what most of you getto newblets been doing which seems to be perfect in the hardest settings ...i had enough wood stone and stuff set up in a day and yet they dug down to me even though im deep enough. and this is about 50 blocks away from the nearest town...

Quote Originally Posted by legionpete View Post
    I normally dig the ground out from under a tree to get wood. If I have time I will bust of trash cans and rails to get metal. Turn candy tins, hub caps and air filters into scrap metal. Create me a pick and collect berries. I convert my wood to planks and rush to a water hole of some kind. Preferably a water hole where you can access dirt. Then I make a plus sign in the water with the planks +. I plink out the center and dig down 4 blocks (reaching stone). While facing the wall in front of me, I plink out the block that is one higher and two higher than the level I am standing in. Next, I break one of the planks out allowing the water to flow into the hole. I hop up on the hole I had just dug, dig a hole for a torch, then I proceed to collect dirt without popping any holes above me. Zom's can dig in water and I can collect all the dirt/clay that I want. Dig down into the stone, plant a berry garden and I already have enough berries to provide me with food and liquid.

w=water, b=box g=ground, e=empty space. Break one of the boxes and it will flow down and stop at the stone hole you left.

[/COLOR]Hope that makes sense.
    Um thanks for the insight though what most of you guys are talking about ...im refering to sizeable ...like safer safer little bases structures which make up the foundation to your larger projects. but anyways i do 5 things in 1 days in terms of building as oppose to a getto bunker well yeah that works lol all im refering to is being totally prepared for ongoing building !