Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: A10 Jump Nerf

  1. #61
    Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Enemy for life
    Posts
    21,966
    Rep Power
    1
    ...or at least say "We had to remove it to fix the bug, but we'll work on climbing in a later release", and because it's an alpha we'd gladly accept that... but dismissing it "just because", when no one here is asking for anything unrealistic is stymieing to our hopes for the overall game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Bah! You and your tone of reason....
    I'm trying this whole honey vs vinegar thing on this forum... so far the results are the same as when I'm a complete ass, but we'll see.

  2. #62
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    15,827
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rucky View Post
    I'm not sure about that.
    Why did I build 4 high walls? 1 for same height as logs, 2 more for human height - you say now we do not need 2
    1 more for overhang to prevent spidey from climbing.
    that's because zombies sometimes "walk" above these logs so they couldn't "go under" the overhang when the height of the wall wouldn't be at least 3 + overhang... or am I wrong here? Wouldn't Spidey get over a 2-height-wall inklusive overhang?

    You are correct for your base walls but I was talking about a perimeter wall set back a distance away from your base walls. If you have overhangs on your base then you don't need them (nor do you want them) on the outer wall even though spiders can get over them. Most of the zombies will be stopped while they bang on it. Without an overhang and only being two blocks high you can stand on a balcony on your second or third level of your base and get head shots on all the zombies because you can see them from that angle. Not so with a three block high wall or a wall with an overhang. Since the bug, though, zombies can get over 2 block high walls and the strategy I just mentioned was ineffective.

  3. #63
    Inventor rucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    1
    ah thanx for clarifying...

  4. #64
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    though, zombies can get over 2 block high walls and the strategy I just mentioned was ineffective.
    Which honestly, it should be. If they can scale ladders, they can climb over a wall slightly more or less tall then they are.

  5. #65
    Colony Founder Agarthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    1,053
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHussey View Post
    Yes this is a thing. To be perfectly clear:

    You cannot jump up two blocks.

    This change is a fix to a bug that appeared back in A7ish when we introduced smooth terrain second pass. There was an issue with jump height and block height calculation that would allow the player entity to actually clip up to that second block. Don't flip out about, don't complain about it, it was a bug. From A1-A7.whateveritwas, you were only able to jump up ONE BLOCK, that's one meter, three feet. The character is two meters tall, there is no reason to be allowed to jump six feet straight up.
    Lets assume for a moment and correct me if I'm wrong, the voxel height in this game is 1 meter, which means 2 voxels is 6 feet, if jumping two blocks was a bug, fine, that's understandable, but if there is no intention to add some sort of parkour system that uses stamina so players can scale at least 2 voxel height, that is unacceptable.

    As someone else pointed out, no one likes the insurmountable waist high fence anymore, if I want to deal with bull♥♥♥♥ like that I'll play minecraft or elderscrolls.

  6. #66
    Colony Founder DocHussey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Passadumkeag, ME USA
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    1
    The average height in the US is 5'10", so if six feet is waist high, you're in the wrong place, call Guiness.

  7. #67
    Colony Founder Agarthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    1,053
    Rep Power
    1
    "If six feet is waist high"

    Are you being serious right now, I really hope you aren't.

    If the player is 5'10 and the voxels are 3 feet each, and the player can jump 1 voxel, but the player who can jump 3 feet vertically can't put their arms on a block 6 feet high after jumping 3 feet vertically to pull themselves up. Makes perfect sense, in a world where nothing is effected by gravity and you mate pigs by feeding them carrots.

    Take your snarky condescending comments and stick them where the sun don't shine.
    Last edited by Agarthan; 11-22-2014 at 01:47 AM.

  8. #68
    Zombie Hunter Ezed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    In a canoe
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    1
    For the record...I don't care one way or another.

    That said, it's alpha...things are gonna alph ...but technically what you explain is no longer jumping is it? It becomes climbing...and maybe some day that'll be added...

    As of now though and as per an earlier dev post, it's a bug fix.

  9. #69
    Colony Founder Agarthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    1,053
    Rep Power
    1
    Exactly. It's an Alpha so this subject should be open to discussion, not have a bunch of ♥♥♥♥ riders telling people to stop whining.

  10. #70
    Ranger mo'guts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    0
    maybe it will return as part of the perk tree?

  11. #71
    Zombie Hunter Ezed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    In a canoe
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHussey View Post
    Yes this is a thing. To be perfectly clear:

    You cannot jump up two blocks.

    This change is a fix to a bug that appeared back in A7ish when we introduced smooth terrain second pass. There was an issue with jump height and block height calculation that would allow the player entity to actually clip up to that second block. Don't flip out about, don't complain about it, it was a bug. From A1-A7.whateveritwas, you were only able to jump up ONE BLOCK, that's one meter, three feet. The character is two meters tall, there is no reason to be allowed to jump six feet straight up.
    That.

  12. #72
    Colony Founder DocHussey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Passadumkeag, ME USA
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarthan View Post
    Exactly. It's an Alpha so this subject should be open to discussion, not have a bunch of ♥♥♥♥ riders telling people to stop whining.
    This ♥♥♥♥ rider is sending you on a little vacation for insubordination. The subject is not really up for discussion. It's kin to people complaining that we removed the ability to break down a gun safe for more than it was worth in iron. Not a feature, was never a feature.

  13. #73
    Community Moderator Red Eagle LXIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NJ,USA,North America,Earth,Sol System
    Posts
    3,281
    Rep Power
    1
    Personally I'd solve it by making a configuration parameter for entities called jumpHeight, and adding that property to both players, animals, and zombies in models_3(entityclasses.xml)

    Then players/server admins could make the zombies, animals, and players able to jump further/higher if they choose.

    This would also allow for a greater range of mobs in the game as it would allow jumping mobs and more configuration over mob behavior to create variances in mobs without new future code (once such a parameter exists if added).
    Last edited by Red Eagle LXIX; 11-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •