Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Wellness" stat is garbage

Scavenger

"Wellness" stat is garbage

So, you're a new player and very vulnerable. You die, and this lowers your max health and stamina making you even easier to kill. "Hey, you died so we're gonna now make sure you continue to die over and over again, and make it take ages to be able to get to the health level you started at again!"

I think there should be some disincentive for dying but this is not the way to go about it.

Just dont die.

It seems to work for me.

Refugee
    I shared the same frustration, but I personally think it adds to the experience. You're weak and defenseless, so you have to survive by staying alive long enough to regain your strength. It takes quite a while, but it teaches you a lesson: don't get too reckless! That, to me, makes you feel the gravity of death. So instead of running around taking risks that you might never otherwise have done, you make your decisions more carefully. Consequences, as madmole said on the tumblr

I like the feature but I would love to have the wellness nearby the HP/Eat/Drink icons. You always have to look into a menu to watch that stat.
    Last edited by Kraudi; 11-26-2014 at 07:31 AM.

While I agree with Kraudi, it would be nice to be able to see it without going to the character screen, I completely disagree with the OP.

The whole wellness system is designed to encourage long-term survival in the game, and in particular to discourage "stupid" deaths and suicides for example to fix broken legs.

Yes, it's a little tough when you first join a new map and you're running around with nothing, to me at least that only makes the new game experience more enjoyable as I know I have to be even more careful.

As Flanksteak in Borderlands 2 would say, "Stop dying so ****amn much!"

Tracker
    I like the wellness system. I have been wanting some penalties for being killed for a long time. Before, if something was wrong you would just go get yourself killed. Now you have an incentive to figure out a real solution, not fall back on death as a cure all.

I had a hard time getting started also, and it was not long before I had a 30 wellness but it has been a lot of fun and really added to the struggle to get back from a 30 to a 200. I now have around a 170 and it has given me yet another thing to feel a sense of accomplishment for in the game. Other than having an impenetrable fort and tons of resources.

I was a little glib in my last post. In all seriousness, if you're having trouble surviving, set your difficulty a little lower until you get the hang of A10. No shame in that. If I start a game where absolutely nothing is going right and I'm not having fun, I start a new game. I'm on my second A10 game. My first didn't last long. I got a decent start on this one and have no deaths so far.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by killmaven View Post
    I was a little glib in my last post. In all seriousness, if you're having trouble surviving, set your difficulty a little lower until you get the hang of A10. No shame in that. If I start a game where absolutely nothing is going right and I'm not having fun, I start a new game. I'm on my second A10 game. My first didn't last long. I got a decent start on this one and have no deaths so far.
    That's good advice. You're not locked into any choices you make as far as settings go. If it gets too hard log out and change them. When things pick up for you again change them back. The difficulty settings are there for you not for others to judge you by.

Wellness is a good idea but actually dirty!
    I think that should easier to get back to 100 of wellness but hard to go up.
    When I say easier, I think with the good things you need max 1hour real to get back to 100 but to get 200 maybe some days!
    the stamina could be greatly affected by wellness but really less than HP!

I don't necessary 'like' it either, especially as I died 6-7 times when first starting out and reduced my health to nothing. BUT ... It did make me start to be a lot more careful with my actions, choose whether I would fight a zed or not when passing one and making me avoid certain areas until I've regained my health and got better equipped, and this is the whole point. Don't do risky things or risk your health.

I do agree though that it is really really slow to regain your HP back, especially as your in a catch 22 stage. If you die and loose health then you need to eat home cooked food to regain it, and you have to eat a lot - but to be able to reach that stage of eating home cooked food, you have to take risks that could cause you to die again whether it's searching for POIs for seeds to farm with (where dogs and groups of Zeds may be lurking) or hunting around for fresh meat to kill and cooking it which then can call Zeds into the area due to the smell and heatmap and surround you.

It's a hard life, but I like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KaXaK View Post
    Wellness is a good idea but actually dirty!
    I think that should easier to get back to 100 of wellness but hard to go up.
    When I say easier, I think with the good things you need max 1hour real to get back to 100 but to get 200 maybe some days!
    the stamina could be greatly affected by wellness but really less than HP!
    That would defeat the purpose of having wellness in the first place. Wellness is a disincentive for people using death to compensate for their reckless decisions. Making it really easy to get back just leaves it where it was.

People use (used?) death as a means of transportation, a cure for all ailments, free food and water...

It pretty much made a mockery of the whole "survival" thing.

Im glad the wellness is here because to many people are lazy and will suicide to get home or up from a mine or anything now they pay a price. Fighting to live sucks but once u get things rolling in the start your pretty much home free with wellness.

Refugee
    its a pretty bad system. and it should have a setting to switch it on or off back to the old system.
    IT IS SO UNBALANCE ON PVP SERVERS playing on servers with 30+ players you will die more if your more in to pvp.. and starting out lolz
    hate how the pimps dont care about pvp or servers with alot of players.. so much is unbalanced