Page 403 of 550 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413453503 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 8237

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 12

  1. #6031
    Colony Founder palmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Noooo! Controller support leads to console porting which leads to crappy pc versions! Arkham Knight anyone?

    ...now, I'm no developer, but I did once compile and play gorillas.bas, so I know a thing or two, and it's my opinion that you have to make sacrifices to write for consoles you don't for the pc.

    Wild tangent, sorry. Resume your regular f5'ING for a video.
    If you want to make game UI for gamepad, you definitely need to cut options from keyboard + mouse because CB+M is much more rich than 8 buttons with two small sticks.

    - So ♥♥♥♥ of with gamepads!

    And yes - i agree :-)

  2. #6032
    Colony Founder Chaosocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    1
    I think it would be cool to have player based radio stations some how... Maybe have CDs/records you could find throughout the world and then air them, people could pick them up on their own personal radios.

    This would actually do a LOT for online play.

  3. #6033
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    6,517
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kitteran View Post
    Actually I need to correct that. Morrowind had the skill leveling based on skill usage, Skyrim allows you to spend skill points however you wish within each skill tree (I loved Tes 3's leveling system it was in my opinion the best the series ever had.)
    The skill tree for Morrowind was absolutely the best. Unfortunately it was never used again because the "average player" (read kid under 20) couldn't manage it. They thought it made things to hard, probably because keeping your skills leveled, and leveling them, required actual work. Kinda how they dumb-ed down Oblivion and then Skyrim to the point where it's not possible to actually lose if you play it vanilla. Sadly, too many of today's games take this path. I was so happy to get the new Thief, and then extremely disappointed to find that it wasn't even a challenge on hard settings.

    That's mainly why I host two servers. One Random Gen with moderate settings and they have the creative menu. One Navezgane that's extremely hardcore. When the Random Gen gets boring, we've always got the other one.

  4. #6034
    Colony Founder h0tr0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,396
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Let's see who do you want to believe, a tester who got fired or an owner of the company? It will get implemented just like every other kickstarter goal we promised.
    Can't be worse than the tester for Aldo who got jailed.

  5. #6035
    Colony Founder Malthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,402
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post

    That's mainly why I host two servers. One Random Gen with moderate settings and they have the creative menu. One Navezgane that's extremely hardcore. When the Random Gen gets boring, we've always got the other one.
    I'm actually tempted to host a Navezgane map like that. Haven't played Navezgane since random gen hit, and knowing where buildings are at instead of hoping to come across them would make setting goals for the players easier, might be fun to try sometime.

    Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    Can't be worse than the tester for Aldo who got jailed.
    Oh jeez. Someone doesn't know murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Also, I don't think you knocked on wood when you said that, and that's how you get prankster gremlins. Nice going h0tr0d, nice going.
    Last edited by Malthis; 06-25-2015 at 11:46 PM.

  6. #6036
    Colony Founder Chaosocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Noooo! Controller support leads to console porting which leads to crappy pc versions! Arkham Knight anyone?

    ...now, I'm no developer, but I did once compile and play gorillas.bas, so I know a thing or two, and it's my opinion that you have to make sacrifices to write for consoles you don't for the pc.

    Wild tangent, sorry. Resume your regular f5'ING for a video.
    Um, this is still a PC game... they wouldn't suddenly drop support for the PC and develope only a console version, and then RE-PORT it BACK to PC just because they had the option for controllers. o_O .... that is a confusing over exaggeration.

    lots and lots of PC exclusives have controller support. Project zomboid has freaking controller support... Controller support does NOT mean you have to start even thinking about console support in any way, form, or fashion, let-alone drop the PC and focus only on the console.... In fact, if they don't have it set up a long time ahead of time trying to re-balance the game for consoles will be a total nightmare for them...

    If this was like DayZ which has 700 buttons, then you may might have a point, but this game can function with like, 12~13 buttons, which easily fit on a 360 controller, which all PCs can naturally plug & play.

    -----------------------------------------------

    Palmic: Typical controllers have 16 buttons + 2 sticks... I have enough buttons to easily map them all to my 360 controller, with some left over in fact, and play the game just fine using jot2key, there's no need to make an exaggeration like that =/ about half of all PC gamers play with controllers. Just because you don't, doesn't mean no one does.

    Keyboard + mouse is probably the worst possible way to play video games period, at least in my opinion, it's really, really unintuitive, makes long play session impossible, and makes it so I can't use my rift or nice gaming TV, I have to use my tiny monitor. It really sucks, and makes this game much, much less fun for me.

    I probably wouldn't even play this game if I couldn't get my keyboard/mouse emulator to work with it, and it's still one of my favorite games ever. I'd really appreciate it if you didn't try to tell me to "♥♥♥♥ off" and not play one of my favorite games the way I enjoy playing games just because you don't personally need the feature.

  7. #6037
    Colony Founder h0tr0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,396
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthis View Post
    I'm actually tempted to host a Navezgane map like that. Haven't played Navezgane since random gen hit, and knowing where buildings are at instead of hoping to come across them would make setting goals for the players easier, might be fun to try sometime.



    Oh jeez. Someone doesn't know murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Also, I don't think you knocked on wood when you said that, and that's how you get prankster gremlins. Nice going h0tr0d, nice going.
    Murphy was an atheist.

    Knowing something and understanding it completely are two different things. I created Murphy's Law to help human beings understand quantum mechanics.

    Explain the difference between being tempted and being actually tempted.

  8. #6038
    Gray Thematic Gipothegip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    wherever, whenever
    Posts
    2,648
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Noooo! Controller support leads to console porting which leads to crappy pc versions! Arkham Knight anyone?

    ...now, I'm no developer, but I did once compile and play gorillas.bas, so I know a thing or two, and it's my opinion that you have to make sacrifices to write for consoles you don't for the pc.

    Wild tangent, sorry. Resume your regular f5'ING for a video.
    Doubt it.

    1) They're already going to do a console port of this.

    2) How do you figure console porting will make a difference for PC gamers as long as they do it after the PC version is finished?

    3) You sure you're not thinking of the other way around? When a game is ported to PC from console? Because I've definitely noticed that doesn't always pan out well, like Dead Rising 3 for instance.

  9. #6039
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipothegip View Post
    Doubt it.

    1) They're already going to do a console port of this.

    2) How do you figure console porting will make a difference for PC gamers as long as they do it after the PC version is finished?

    3) You sure you're not thinking of the other way around? When a game is ported to PC from console? Because I've definitely noticed that doesn't always pan out well, like Dead Rising 3 for instance.
    dead rising 3 played smooth as silk for me on a 580gtx but yes in general porting from console to PC ssometimes isn't all that great. Most of the time they had to make sacrfices on graphics quality and usually going from controller to keyboard/mouse is a bit wonky.

  10. #6040
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    There's a man on the wing of that plane!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yup, so choose a server with it off.

    People who are literally being hit by zombies in-game and log off to avoid death=no bueno to me.
    Or people who exit out when another player has them dead to rights=no bueno.
    People who log out to log in to user rendering trick=no bueno.

    it isn't about "I have a job and kids and whatever"
    the whole point of what i wrote was that you couldn't log while being hit.

  11. #6041
    Colony Founder h0tr0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,396
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by syrus mac View Post
    the whole point of what i wrote was that you couldn't log while being hit.
    The whole point? Then why not say what you just said!

    And it's not nice to point.

  12. #6042
    Colony Founder The Last Survivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    The whole point? Then why not say what you just said!

    And it's not nice to point.
    [ Points At h0tr0d ]

    I really wish there was a pointing emote.. Haha.

  13. #6043
    Gray Thematic Gipothegip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    wherever, whenever
    Posts
    2,648
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    The skill tree for Morrowind was absolutely the best. Unfortunately it was never used again because the "average player" (read kid under 20) couldn't manage it. They thought it made things to hard, probably because keeping your skills leveled, and leveling them, required actual work. Kinda how they dumb-ed down Oblivion and then Skyrim to the point where it's not possible to actually lose if you play it vanilla. Sadly, too many of today's games take this path. I was so happy to get the new Thief, and then extremely disappointed to find that it wasn't even a challenge on hard settings.
    I know what you mean, especially with Skyrim. Oblivion wasn't too dumb-ed down IMO, but they basically lost the sense of character building in Skyrim (for me anyway). Even worse they went with the perk system, which I guess isn't terrible on its own, but they threw away their system to go with what everyone else does and one that is idiotically simple.

    In fact I find it's actually kind of stifling and unrewarding, and I feel I can't really build my character through the game experience.

    I dislike what they did in Skryim. They had a golden system beforehand in Morrowind and Oblivion.

    That isn't to say I didn't like Skyrim, it was a lot of fun and I got the Platinum on PS3, but they butchered the deep character building system they had in previous games and put in a basic and cliche'd system streamlined for the idiot masses.

  14. #6044
    Colony Founder The Last Survivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipothegip View Post
    I know what you mean, especially with Skyrim. Oblivion wasn't too dumb-ed down IMO, but they basically lost the sense of character building in Skyrim (for me anyway). Even worse they went with the perk system, which I guess isn't terrible on its own, but they threw away their system to go with what everyone else does and one that is idiotically simple.

    In fact I find it's actually kind of stifling and unrewarding, and I feel I can't really build my character through the game experience.

    I dislike what they did in Skryim. They had a golden system beforehand in Morrowind and Oblivion.

    That isn't to say I didn't like Skyrim, it was a lot of fun and I got the Platinum on PS3, but they butchered the deep character building system they had in previous games and put in a basic and cliche'd system streamlined for the idiot masses.
    It really is sad in my opinion that Skyrim is the most popular of the Elder Scrolls games..
    They did so many things wrong that could have been so much better.. And to top it off a fair
    amount of the current Skyrim players are people who only have played Skyrim and none of
    the other games. Which means that if they do make it harder again all these newer people
    are going to start to cry and beg for a easier system which kinda sucks honestly. I am one
    for change but not when it is over something that is so bad.

  15. #6045
    Colony Founder h0tr0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,396
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Survivor View Post
    [ Points At h0tr0d ]

    I really wish there was a pointing emote.. Haha.
    What's your point?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •