Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7Days chooses bad GPU - now unplayable!

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    This made me think of something... could it be because the game doesn't run in fullscreen? I know it SAYS fullscreen, but it isn't true fullscreen. Maybe the drivers detect fullscreen applications and only switches for those. Try turning one of your other games into Windowed mode, save, exit and then start it back up to see if the laptop still knows to swap graphics.

Before all that though, there's this:
    https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/...dows-computer-

I know you fiddled with the Nvidia thing already but did you mess with the settings in the intel menu? Does this apply to you? Worth a look.
    I tried all the steps from your link and messed with the intel menu, but again without success.

Also, I tried what you said and changed "Sleeping Dogs" to windowed mode (800x600), closed and started again - Nvidia works like a charm with that one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Triki View Post
    I think the guy telling you about changing permisions, moving your gpu to "64 bits" and some more funny stuff had no idea about what he was talking or just trolling. Did you already try a window's restoration point ? (if you have that thing on). IF not, what i would try is removing all traces of both nvidia and intel gpu drivers, then restart in safe mode and reinstall both. Also, its posibble the drivers are checking for game .exes for assigning the gpu, a sort of profiling, maybe you actually have to go and ask the nvidia guys or intel guys instead. You know, with updates and crap sometimes stuff goes wrong. Good luck.
    Sadly I already changed the permissions on my laptop like he said and have now no idea how to reset to default. Could someone please look into their permissions and tell me which options to uncheck so I get the original settings?
    I still have to find the time to reinstall all my GPU drivers. I cannot use the latest Nvidia drivers anyway and HAVE to go with the Acer ones, and the last Nvidia driver there is from 2013, if I remember correctly.
    Btw, how do I "remove all traces of both nvidia and intel gpu drivers"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    I would recommend waiting til 11.4 (should be out soon™) and see if it still happens.
    It seems there is no other option left for me; I'll see what that does.

Anyhow - I'd like to thank you all (the community) for trying to help with my problem!

Scavenger
    I apologize for triple-posting here, but I may just have stumbled over a new branch of this problem's root!

7DtD_GPU.jpg

This comes when I try to open 7DtD with the Nvidia chip via right click menu; it says something like that in english:
    "You have no permission to choose the GPU in this menu. (Please) choose the preferred GPU for this program in the NVIDIA control panel."

Everybody knows by now that the control panel selecting does not work for me.

Now, the weird thing is that this error message does NOT come with any other game, and I can start them with Nvidia via right click menu without problems!

Is this something that Alloc could work with, perhaps??

No idea, never owned a switched GPU system.

Did you already test with 11.4 or was that still 11.3?
    If 11.4 doesn't work either, try to keep Shift pressed when starting the game, it should give you a small game config window. Maybe it will allow you to choose the GPU in the monitor-selection.

How do you tell if its using your nvidia card, anyway? Do you monitor something or it just the poor framerates giving it away? If you have a way to tell without actually playing the game you could try launching the game directly from its EXE without steam open. Maybe a combination of the game not being true exclusive fullscreen plus being launched through steam has something to do with it. The laptop isn't registering the fact that its doing something extensive enough to require the gpu. For some reason. The game won't actually let you do anything without steam open though, annoyingly enough. The menu will just tell you "no steam account connected" or something along those lines. Also try running it without EAC maybe.

Do you know your specific GPU? You could google it and see if people have similar problems with other games. I didn't look up your model specifically but I did see a lot of people were having issues with these nvidia-intel laptops with the GPU not switching over correctly in certain titles. You seem to have already tried all the suggested remedies, however.
    [shrugs]

Tracker
    Ok here is something you can try. in most machines when you install a new gpu it should automatically disable the onboard gpu. in your case it isn't.

Uninstall the Nvida gpu from device manager and then reboot
    Windows should auto detect the "new" hardware and reinstall it. And by reinstalling it maybe just maybe it will disable the onboard gpu while it installs the nvidia gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Brn2BWyldNSC View Post
    Ok here is something you can try. in most machines when you install a new gpu it should automatically disable the onboard gpu. in your case it isn't.

Uninstall the Nvida gpu from device manager and then reboot
    Windows should auto detect the "new" hardware and reinstall it. And by reinstalling it maybe just maybe it will disable the onboard gpu while it installs the nvidia gpu.
    He is on a laptop, though. It will never disable the onboard graphics. Its designed in such a way that, to save battery power, it uses the onboard video for light lasts but when you start up a game it is SUPPOSED to jump over to the GPU.

Tracker
    He is on a laptop, though. It will never disable the onboard graphics. Its designed in such a way that, to save battery power, it uses the onboard video for light lasts but when you start up a game it is SUPPOSED to jump over to the GPU.
    True and I just read that the nvida runs thru the intel onboard gpu because the onboard is the only one physically linked to the display. I wonder if he has a dvi or hdmi on the back of the laptop that he could attach a regular monitor to

Quote Originally Posted by Brn2BWyldNSC View Post
    True and I just read that the nvida runs thru the intel onboard gpu because the onboard is the only one physically linked to the display. I wonder if he has a dvi or hdmi on the back of the laptop that he could attach a regular monitor to
    I'm skeptical this is the case for him, even if it may be true for certain laptops. His laptop switches to the GPU on other games, it seems to only be an issue with 7 Days to Die.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    No idea, never owned a switched GPU system.

Did you already test with 11.4 or was that still 11.3?
    If 11.4 doesn't work either, try to keep Shift pressed when starting the game, it should give you a small game config window. Maybe it will allow you to choose the GPU in the monitor-selection.
    I did test with 11.4. I once again deinstalled the game, deleted the remaining game files in Steam common and the save data un the Documents folder, reinstalled the whole thing and verified game files. Still the same problem.
    [S]When I press Shift and click onto the *.exe windows just highlights all files before it. How do I get this config window?[/S] [Edit: I got to the config window while starting the game in the steam library - sadly no option to choose the GPU, only monitor selection.]
    I'm wondering if you could try to send me a modified *.exe version to try?

How do you tell if its using your nvidia card, anyway? Do you monitor something or it just the poor framerates giving it away? If you have a way to tell without actually playing the game you could try launching the game directly from its EXE without steam open. Maybe a combination of the game not being true exclusive fullscreen plus being launched through steam has something to do with it. The laptop isn't registering the fact that its doing something extensive enough to require the gpu. For some reason. The game won't actually let you do anything without steam open though, annoyingly enough. The menu will just tell you "no steam account connected" or something along those lines. Also try running it without EAC maybe.

Do you know your specific GPU? You could google it and see if people have similar problems with other games. I didn't look up your model specifically but I did see a lot of people were having issues with these nvidia-intel laptops with the GPU not switching over correctly in certain titles. You seem to have already tried all the suggested remedies, however.
    [shrugs]
    There is a task icon from nVidia which tells if there is any nVidia activity and if, which program uses the chip. Furthermore do I use GPU-z to monitor specifics and the temperature, which displays quite accurately if the GPU is in use and includes temperature.
    7DtD has two *.exe files, one with and one without EAC. Of course I tried both of them as well.
    I also doubt that the game not being true fullscreen has anything to do with this problem. Just for fun I tried Fallout 3 before in windowed mode (also I started via right-click menu under "start with high performance GPU", which does not work for 7DtD) and there was no problem at all. nVidia works just fine with FO3.
    An interesting fact is also, that when I try to start 7DtD via right click menu, it reads "NVIDIA high performance processor (Standard)", the same with most of my games, but when I click that, I get the error message in the screenshot above. Anyway, that means that my laptop is fact registering the fact that its doing something extensive enough to require the GPU, but it seems that the game gets somehow locked out of it when it starts.

There is one thing you seem to have overlooked: 7DtD did work fine with nVidia until recently. It happened somewhere between 11.2 and 11.3.

Here's specific data on my nVidia:
    NVIDIA System Information 04-28-2015 13-56-14.txt

I did not find any relevant information on google that I haven't tried yet.

Well, I guess, that's it for me then; it seems something prevents me from playing 7DtD until I buy a new PC or so. I quite ran out of patience by now, this is just frustrating! I should dedicate my time to more important things, I guess.

Anyhow, I am very grateful for your help, guys!
    Last edited by Thrainn; 05-01-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Refugee
    I don't know if you managed to fix your issue but I had a similar issue on Heroes of the Storm a few weeks back and what fixed it for me is resetting nVidia to it's default settings. There's a button in the upper-right corner of the nVidia Control Panel that you can press. Note that it'll also reset your different profiles but it may be worth a try...

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by ATragicEnding View Post
    I don't know if you managed to fix your issue but I had a similar issue on Heroes of the Storm a few weeks back and what fixed it for me is resetting nVidia to it's default settings. There's a button in the upper-right corner of the nVidia Control Panel that you can press. Note that it'll also reset your different profiles but it may be worth a try...
    I doubt that this would help, since I even deleted the whole 7DtD profile via Nvidia Inspector and created a new one, still without success.

I have moved on to other games, which run perfectly fine with Nvidia.
    But it still bugs me that I possibly never can play 7DtD anymore! At least not with my computer, and I won't be buying a new one for a while ...

I know you stated that you have moved on, but I simply want to say that I am (and still) having the same issue. My girlfriend has a GT 630M that is not being recognized.

Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard was not working for her either, and after weeks of looking into it I got it to work...but only if I run it in 32-bit mode instead of 64-bit.

Perhaps that is what will fix it for 7 Days, if the Devs aren't looking into this?
    Is there a way to run in 32-bit?