Page 259 of 1623 FirstFirst ... 1592092492572582592602612693093597591259 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 24344

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 13

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl View Post
    Drank new spawn bottled water. Died of dysentary. 11/10 would drink again.
    Made my day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    I already made the change. Water will have a 10% chance for dysentery and goldenrod will be much rarer.
    Hmm, interesting. I suppose it makes sense that boiling water over a campfire in a pot I found in a shack somewhere wouldn't completely remove all the little microbes. Still, what if in the late game you can use a still or something like that to make disinfected water? Or maybe include chlorine tablets as a rare drop.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork55 View Post
    I would love to see the antibiotic abuse removed from the game. Antibiotics should only be useful if you have been infected. They should not be a cheap way to raise wellness.
    Kind of.

They are a cheap way mostly because they are almost always part of any plane supply crates.

You just need to run and grab the content.

As a recipe, I believe one of the main component (molded bread) has been nerfed. In my last games/hours played, didn't find this item as usually (maybe just a random thing too).

IDEA: a way to nerf it even more would be that each recipe has a given % to fail. It could be adjusted in future releases according to the skills tree, and such (profesions, background, ..)
    Last edited by argeos; 08-11-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Ranger
    I would love to see the antibiotic abuse removed from the game. Antibiotics should only be useful if you have been infected. They should not be a cheap way to raise wellness.
    They aren't really, or at least not above 120. The only way to abuse them is to eat them like candy and most players don't have enough to waste that way.

I'll use them every day if I can just to ward off potential infection, and simply to keep the inventory slot clear. Guppy had an interesting idea for a tool kit which I think would be great for a medical kit as well. You can put grain alcohol, bandages, antibiotics, etc. into it and just hot-bar the function you want as necessary. If I had that, I'd just carry antibiotics until I needed them.

Certain people are going to abuse systems in a PvP environment no matter what TFP do. For the rest of the player community who likely don't see the need to mix/max everything they do, things like stew and antibiotics aren't really an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz the Dragon View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I suppose it makes sense that boiling water over a campfire in a pot I found in a shack somewhere wouldn't completely remove all the little microbes. Still, what if in the late game you can use a still or something like that to make disinfected water? Or maybe include chlorine tablets as a rare drop.
    I'm thinking we make "boiled water" which is the one which has a 10% chance of dysentery. Then add pure water which is a rare loot item, or requires scavenging some things to correctly purify the water, or you build a water collector, and it gives you a tad bit of wellness.

Ranger
    I'm thinking we make "boiled water" which is the one which has a 10% chance of dysentery. Then add pure water which is a rare loot item, or requires scavenging some things to correctly purify the water, or you build a water collector, and it gives you a tad bit of wellness.
    How about a distilling system? It could be the item you use to make grain alcohol as well, and distilled water is guaranteed pure unless your equipment and/or containers are contaminated.

Say brass ingots -> copper pipes + cooking pot + one of the faucets you can knock off the sinks?

If you want pure water to be rare, I can't think of a better way than making it expensive and/or limiting its production. Besides, having a still would be cool.

Tracker thatguyfromthequadcities's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoy1941 View Post
    How about a distilling system? It could be the item you use to make grain alcohol as well, and distilled water is guaranteed pure unless your equipment and/or containers are contaminated.

Say brass ingots -> copper pipes + cooking pot + one of the faucets you can knock off the sinks?

If you want pure water to be rare, I can't think of a better way than making it expensive and/or limiting its production. Besides, having a still would be cool.
    I like the idea of having a Still, especially if we could brew our own beer, grain alcohol, and mead (yes, pushing for mead in the game again). Using it to create purified water would be a nice component as well. Also, giving Brass another role to play would be nice beyond crafting bullets. I'm sure it will get some love when electronics/mechanics become more integrated.

Until then, "Let us drink and be merry, all out of one glass! Let's drink and be merry, all grief do refrain... for we may or might never all meet here again!"

Why not add a small chance to get food poisoning from eating canned food. A can sitting around for a while could go bad due to a bad seal, a small hole or the contents simply going bad on their own. This would add some tougher choices to the game when one is in dire need of food. Do I risk a nasty case of food poisoning or try to hold out for some "safer" food.

Pure water could be the "bottled water" one would have bought in a store before the apocalypse. It would be pure because it was manufactured for drinking purposes. Pure water looks like a nice rare Shamway loot item for starters.

Refugee
    If anything I will increase the requirements, but you'll get more items per harvest. I'm thinking of adding clothing to zombies you can loot.
    I can finally get one of those fashionable Hawaiian shirts

Tracker thatguyfromthequadcities's Avatar
    Why not add a small chance to get food poisoning from eating canned food. A can sitting around for a while could go bad due to a bad seal, a small hole or the contents simply going bad on their own. This would add some tougher choices to the game when one is in dire need of food. Do I risk a nasty case of food poisoning or try to hold out for some "safer" food.
    Food Poisoning is a little rougher than dysentery since you can't cure it. Fortunately, it only affects stamina and lasts for half a minute. You could always buff Food Poisoning up to be more of a hindrance, perhaps invoking "gassiness" for several game hours that might alert zombies. If you did that, you could add a medicine (emetic?) that would induce vomiting, reducing Fullness/Hydration and imposing a "Nausiated" debuff (cannot eat or drink for X period of time) but remove Food Poisoning.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyfromthequadcities View Post
    I like the idea of having a Still, especially if we could brew our own beer, grain alcohol, and mead (yes, pushing for mead in the game again). Using it to create purified water would be a nice component as well. Also, giving Brass another role to play would be nice beyond crafting bullets. I'm sure it will get some love when electronics/mechanics become more integrated.
    Precisely. I'd also love to have mead just for fun, but having something else to do with brass would be nice. Also, I'm sure having another station would allow TFP to adjust input/output/gating to make water work better within the game.

This is good in theory, but most canned food is effectively good forever within the time constraints of the game. Even if you run a game for 700+ days, spoilage would be rare, and scavenged food which has gone bad would be readily identifiable due to damage or distortion to the tin.

I quite purposefully collect and store canned goods in my loot run outposts. It minimizes the need to bring food along and ensures I have a ready source for those multi-day hops before I get the minibike. If any changes are going to be done to food, I'd think we would be better off with some sort of basic cooking skills once the skill tree itself makes an appearance. You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to cook or properly store food, and that seems like a more reasonable place to introduce food poisoning into the system. It would also elevate the importance of canned goods since, while they may not give wellness, they'd for damn sure be safe.

Inventor

Change your recipe for copper or brass all the way (copper pipes, copper cooking pot, copper faucet).

Copper (and brass too) has antimicrobial properties known since a long time.

Precisely. I'd also love to have mead just for fun, but having something else to do with brass would be nice. Also, I'm sure having another station would allow TFP to adjust input/output/gating to make water work better within the game.
    It would certainly give us something else to do with all the honey we find in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Survivor View Post
    I actually kinda like this.. But at the same time with
    cans being gone that kinda sucks since we could scrap
    them and use them to boil water.. I agree with getting
    rid of jars
    but having to find a gas can before I can fill
    get gas seems reasonable.. snip

- - - Updated - - -

They are making it simple for new players. I understand that.
    BUT It needs to stop somewhere.. I don't want to have to not
    worry about tons of stuff I would have to in real life honestly..
    Just cause its more "SIMPLE"
    There isn't even going to be much of a point in
    SAND now that jars are gone Maybe we should
    remove it to -_- ..
    It's not just that jars are gone. Its now that they
    are gone I can easily see you removing every
    other small thing alike them which then would
    affect the experience and make it feel very..
    Fantasy like and not real at all..
    make up your bloody mind. you swap sides so much it looks like you are trying just to whine. a few weeks ago you complained about not having money for more games and played this alot, now you think you will play ark for a while as well then come back... what happened to not having the money to get games... I no longer believe a damn thing you say/ type