Page 1 of 368 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Valmod Pack

Valmod Pack

Note: This Mod was built on A16.3

This is a relatively large mod pack I've gradually created over time. It's mainly a collaboration of all my smaller mods placed together into one larger file. Those individual mods you can find here: Valmar's Mod Collection

The Valmod Pack comes in two different flavors. The Expansion pack and The Overhaul pack.

The Expansion pack is meant to be viewed, as the name implies, as an expansion pack for the game. What this means is that it adds a bunch of new features to the game without dramatically changing the overall vanilla gameplay experience. Great if you're happy with 7DTD but just want to have more stuff to do.

The Overhaul pack adds the same items and content to the game as the expansion with the key difference being that unlike the expansion the overhaul, as the name implies overhauls some basic aspects of the game. Mainly the recipe system is considerably locked down compared to vanilla. The overhaul is intended for those who want a new experience from the game.

Features:
    Class System
    Overhauled Progression Skill System (Overhaul Only)
    Working Ovens and Sinks
    New Zombie Bosses
    New Cooking Recipes
    New Workstations
    New Plant Farming
    New Storage Containers
    New Weapons
    New Weapon Mods
    New Tools
    New Quests
    New Ammo Types
    New Traps
    New Armor
    New Clothes
    Dismantle or Convert Ammo
    Safe Lockpicks
    Legendary Weapons
    Animal Snares
    Chicken Coops
    More Vanilla Recipes
    More Dynamic Loot
    Custom Icons
    Custom UI

UI Sample:
    Spoiler: 

How to Install:
    Right Click 7 Days To Die and select properties
    Click the Local Files Tab
    Click the Browse local files button.
    Open the Valmod zip. Open the first folder inside. Inside is a Data and Mods folder. Drag and drop these folders into the game's directory, overwriting when prompted.

Example Install Photo:
    Spoiler: 

Class System
    When you start the game you will be given a Class Selection book and a Class Key note. With the Class Selection you able to craft/choose one of several classes. Search for “class” in the crafting menu to see the available options.

After you decide on a class you get a class briefcase that you then place on the ground and open either with your class key or by breaking it. This unlocks the case which then can be looted to get all the class-specific recipes along with a bundle of starting items related to the chosen class.

Note: Classes only determine your starting gear. They do not lock you out of learning anything else, you can still master everything.

Spoiler: 

Warning: this guide is not yet updated to A16.
    Overhauled Progression System

In Valmod Overhaul many recipe books have been changed to only give skill points rather than unlock recipes. Recipes are now unlocked based off your skill level in relevant skills - such as construction tools, archery, guns, mining tools, cooking, blacksmithing, carpentry, traps... so on and so forth. This means that as you level various skills you can gradually unlock new recipes associated with those skills. Given the drastic nature of this change I include a link that lists all the changes related to this below:

Valmod Overhaul Progression Tree Changes

New Zombies

Valmod features several custom, unique Zombies. Some are "boss" zombies while some are just for variety.

These include:

Feral Crawler
    New Lumberjack
    Burning Crawler
    Burning Spider
    Burning Runner
    Burning Boss (Spits fire)
    Trucker Boss
    Grave Reaper
    Ravager
    Monstrous Brute

Expanded Cooking Recipes

Now the bowl serves a purpose other than making decoration. All stew recipes now require a bowl of water instead of a jar of water and will return the bowl to you when you eat.

Food recipes will require bowls of water instead of bottled water.

Bowl's can be be used just like glass jars to gather water. Just like with the bottled water you'll have to boil the bowl of water to get a clean version before you can safely drink it or use it. (Bowl of Murky Water turns into Bowl of Water).

Boiled food now uses a bowl of water as the cooking tool instead of cooking pot.
    Cornbread uses a bowl of water as the cooking tool instead of a cooking pot.

Empty cans now serve a purpose as you can now pour your stews into them to get canned variants that have no smell.

Pour your canned foods into bowls and warm them up for tasty wellness-providing variants.

Survivor Notes: Skill Points

You can find Survivor Notes on zombie loot and other various locations which can be read for skill points. You can also scrap recipe books you find in loot for survivor notes.

New Weapons and Tools

The following weapons and tools have been added to the game:
    Bolt Rifle
    Iron Crossbow
    Repeater Crossbow
    Combat Axe
    Boomstick
    Weed Cleaver
    Scythe
    Sniper High-Powered Scoped
    Legendary Weapons

New Ammo Types

All the guns now have alternative ammo types that you can use. You unlock these by investing to perk level 2 in the relevant ammo perk.

New ammo includes:
    9mm, 10mm, 762mm Hollow Point Rounds - The most damaging of rounds.
    9mm, 10mm, 762mm Incendiary Rounds - These rounds deal a little extra damage and can set the enemy on fire.
    Blunderbuss Shredder Ammo - Deals more damage and causes bleeding.
    Incendiary Shell - Shotgun shells that set the enemy on fire.
    Loki Shells – Shotgun shells similar to the incendiary shell.
    Siege Shell - Shotgun shells that deal relatively little damage to enemies but a lot to blocks.
    Crafting ammo also requires specific shell casings. Such as 9mm Casing or Shotgun Shell Casing. (Overhaul)

Note: There is a bug where the gun will not accurately display the correct damage the gun deals when you swap ammo. Do not worry, this is just a visual bug.

Workstations
    There are a few new workstations added to the game.

Armory (Overhaul Only) – This workstation is required for crafting armors. Each tier of armor requires a different tool in the workbench to craft. Cloth and animal hide require a sewing kit, leather requires a tanning rack and iron and steel armors require a welding torch.

Merchant Delivery Box - Craftable vendor to buy supplies from.

Quest Board - Craftable vendor to buy quests from.

Misc
    Keep yourself in-the-loop for future updates by joining the Valmod Steam Group

Games4Kickz Let's Play Series
    Spoiler: 

Valmod Overhaul Horde Edition
    Install ontop of Overhaul to get lethal headshots, larger hordes and disable climbing zombies.
    DOES NOT WORK WITH EXPANSION PACK. OVERHAUL ONLY.

Servers and credits listed in below post.

Last edited by Valmar; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:14 AM. Reason: A16.3 Update

Servers

Valmod is compatible with servers however those who play on the server will have to install the mod locally to get the full experience.

If you'd like your server listed here please let me know. Also note that the below servers are ones shared with me by users. I am not responsible for their stability or server moderation. If one of the servers listed are no longer active please let me know.

(Old Server listing have been nuked due to the fresh alpha release, please PM me if you want your server listed)

Death Plague's PvP No WIMPS Hard Server
    IP: 63.251.42.50
    Port: 24132
    Description:
    Valmod Overhaul
    Based in USA
    Botman

Alliance-Gaming|Lightbringer|PVE|VALMOD OVERHAUL|USA|Dedicated
    IP: 45.56.85.152
    Port: 26900
    Description:
    ACTIVE ADMINS Valmod OH + Admin made mods. Full Base Protection. All Players Welcome. Donor Perks Available. Must download mods.

OrionCluster
    IP: 73.11.61.77
    Port: 25000
    Description:
    Valmod Overhaul
    Based in USA

**** The Place **** - PvE, Valmod Overhaul
    IP: 64.94.95.146
    Port: 18420
    Description:
    Valmod Overhaul
    Discord Server
    Botman

OutlawGaming420
    IP: 209.90.230.98
    Port: 25646
    Description:
    Valmod Expansion
    Discord Server
    PvE

Scorched Earth Val-mod OH Player economy + prefabs 45 slot backpack (PVE/PVP TOWNS)
    IP: 95.146.21.176
    Port: 26900
    Description:
    Valmod Overhaul + prefabs and large pack (server sided)
    Based in London
    Botman + CBSM
    Mainly a PVE server with PVP zones and towns and a main mega trade hub where it is controlled by players. Had mode server and a loot cave challenge in main PVP city.

This is the format I use. This is more for my benefit than anyone else, pay it no mind.

Code:
    ServerName
    IP: Number
    Port: Number
    Description:

This mod pack also supports the 7D2D Mod Launcher, making it even easier for clients on servers to keep their files up-to-date!

Credits/Thanks
    Big thanks to LokiTheWeaver, Kalrath, 40QuidKidd, Ethena, StompyNZ, RedEagleLXIX, Sirillion and JaxTeller718. There are others, of course, but I'd be here all day if I was to name everyone. Thank you.

Note: My UI is based off of Sirilions's work. You can find his original UI here: Sirillion's SMX UI Mod.
    Last edited by Valmar; 1 Day Ago at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added servers

[Reserved]
    Last edited by Valmar; 12-30-2016 at 04:10 AM.

Wow, whole lot of nice stuff here to check out. I'm really digging the classes idea, it's something I fully expect to be implemented into vanilla someday along with starting locations (eg: hunter starts in a log cabin in the woods) which makes a lot more sense than "I'm naked in the woods and suddenly apocalypse".
    Last edited by Xamllew; 08-03-2015 at 03:02 AM.

It's good to have a one-stop-shop for all things Valmar. I've gotten a lot of ideas from your frequent posts and your code in the short time I've been here. Thank you for that.

Your mods are very much along the same lines as my approach. I'd use them wholesale, but I prefer slow and careful integration so that I can maintain my understanding of everything that's going on in the code.

Looks like alot of thought went into this, kudos.

Curious as to how you choose "classes"

@Xamllew

Thank you. I'm very much hoping my little class system setup is made completely irrelevant in A14. I'm sure whatever the pimps come up with will be much better. Still, was fun to make.

@Alex

You humble me. Slow and careful is the best approach to have, I think. To give a bit of perspective I've been working on the class system alone for like a week. Im not sure what standard should be used to determine if thats a long time but for me it feels like its been a long time. Its nice to finally have it out there.

@Hotrod

I described it in the OP but I perhaps wasn't able to be very clear on the steps. I was fighting text constraints - I had to shorten a lot of things just to get that post to fit. I dread what I'm going to have to do whenever I start adding more changes.

Anyway, I'll quote what I said in OP:

"When you start the game you will be given a Class Selection book and a Class Key note. You place the Class Selection item in your crafting grid starting from the top left corner and onward to decide which class you want. After you decide on a class you get a Class briefcase that you then place on the ground and open either with your class key or breaking it. This unlocks the case which then can be looted to get all the class-specific recipes along with a bundle of starting items. "

So here's my question: Was that not clear enough on the steps or did you only skim through it? I'm not asking to be narky or defensive or whatever, I genuinely want to know. I'm not very good at explaining things to others so I would like make simple, clear instructions for it so that its easy to follow. If my original post was unclear on that then I'll try to fix it. Though I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

Note: Noticed I'm missing a few recipes, doh. Thought I did those. Will fix.

Lol, btw. Ass bitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    @Xamllew

Thank you. I'm very much hoping my little class system setup is made completely irrelevant in A14. I'm sure whatever the pimps come up with will be much better. Still, was fun to make.

@Alex

You humble me. Slow and careful is the best approach to have, I think. To give a bit of perspective I've been working on the class system alone for like a week. Im not sure what standard should be used to determine if thats a long time but for me it feels like its been a long time. Its nice to finally have it out there.

@Hotrod

I described it in the OP but I perhaps wasn't able to be very clear on the steps. I was fighting text constraints - I had to shorten a lot of things just to get that post to fit. I dread what I'm going to have to do whenever I start adding more changes.

Anyway, I'll quote what I said in OP:

"When you start the game you will be given a Class Selection book and a Class Key note. You place the Class Selection item in your crafting grid starting from the top left corner and onward to decide which class you want. After you decide on a class you get a Class briefcase that you then place on the ground and open either with your class key or breaking it. This unlocks the case which then can be looted to get all the class-specific recipes along with a bundle of starting items. "

So here's my question: Was that not clear enough on the steps or did you only skim through it? I'm not asking to be narky or defensive or whatever, I genuinely want to know. I'm not very good at explaining things to others so I would like make simple, clear instructions for it so that its easy to follow. If my original post was unclear on that then I'll try to fix it. Though I'm not really sure how else to explain it.
    I'd say highlight the sections. I appeared to have lost it in the wall of text.

How To "Choose" a Class:

"When you start the game you will be given a Class Selection book and a Class Key note.
    You place the Class Selection item in your crafting grid starting from the top left corner and onward to decide which class you want.
    After you decide on a class you get a Class briefcase that you then place on the ground and open either with your class key or breaking it. This unlocks the case which then can be looted to get all the class-specific recipes along with a bundle of starting items.

Or something, I just lost it despite trying to find it, admittedly I only re-read the post 3 times. I'd take advantage of the alliteration or the word "Class"

Class-Choosing
    Class attainment..

I just lost it.

It also, nd this is not negative criticism, couldn't hurt to show us a demonstration video, or picture-walk through.
    Last edited by h0tr0d; 08-03-2015 at 05:02 AM.

I forgot to add the iron crossbow recipe book. Funny since I remembered the note. Well, fixed now.

Fixed that oversight. Your move, mod. [Queue The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly theme]

@Hotrod
    It isn't a wall of text. [showing pet-peeve]
    But I get what you're saying. I'm not sure I can make it quite as clear as you lay out. Its no joke when I say I had to go through it deleting SPACES just to get enough room in the post.

As for walkthroughs it would be nice but I just dont know what exactly to show. It isn't exactly complicated in the first place. What is there that needs to be explained in a video?

Update: Was able to squeeze in some bolt text. It isn't much but it should help. Maybe. I think.
    Last edited by Valmar; 08-03-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    I forgot to add the iron crossbow recipe book. Funny since I remembered the note. Well, fixed now.

Fixed that oversight. Your move, mod. [Queue The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly theme]
    Bugs are part of the process

This is badass! You are becoming one of my favorite modders-to-watch!

Could I possibly use your breakable door locks and working oven/sinks mods in my Walking Dead mod? ^_^ I already need to add a credits section for my next update, hehe

"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling."
    Last edited by h0tr0d; 08-03-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosocks View Post
    This is badass! You are becoming one of my favorite modders-to-watch!

Could I possibly use your breakable door locks and working oven/sinks mods in my Walking Dead mod? ^_^ I already need to add a credits section for my next update, hehe
    As mentioned in my "Final Thoughts":
    "Anyone interested in taking the mod apart, combining it with others, modifying or anything are free to do so, no need to ask. Do whatever you want, just try to have fun. "

Have at, Hoss. If I cared about people using these things I wouldn't share them in the first place, right? No need to worry about credits for anything of "mine". No one reads them and it only adds more stuff to worry about.

Not that I'm telling you what to do, of course. That's kinda the point. Do what you want.

Ahh, I kinda skimmed past the bottom half of the post, sorry! ^_^||
    Thanks <3 You're awesome!