Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully connected sewer/subway syetem for random gen cities.

Nomad

*A14 ready*Fully connected sewer/subway syetem for random gen cities.

**Edit 29-3-16**

The first set of the new custom cityblocks are ready for Alpha 14!

They are still considered a work-in-progress but I decided now would be a good time to get them out while people are prepping their new saves for a fresh A14 start.

They are mostly a copy/paste of the 'old' system with the addition of a new tunnel system running directly beneath the roads (with added manholes!) and an extended tunnel system in the lower water way. There are currently 5 tiles in this set and I do intend to release some more with a couple of alternative surface layers and some duplicates of the current surface layers with additional rotations (tracks runnin north to south instead of just east to west)

Video tour

Custom Cityblock series

Death By zombie edition Dropbox

Gluten free edition Dropbox (no zombie spawns)

The following is what I've been testing the past couple of days, it will setup your center wasteland hub to be an 8 x 8 sized city with a reasonable mix of compo pack 18 prefabs that interfere as little as possible with the tunnel system, expect some clipping issues, but all tunnels should be accessible. Using this mixer will only add the custom sewers to the center hub.

Compo pack 18 modified rwgmixer

To add the set manually to ALL cities, simply replace the vanilla cityblock entries with:

Code:
    <prefab_rule name="cityBlocks">
    			<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_bridgetile" min_count="15" max_count="15"/>
    			<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_sewerentrance" min_count="15" max_count="15"/>
    			<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_topstation" min_count="8" max_count="8"/>
    			<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_tracks" min_count="18" max_count="18"/>
    			<prefab name="x_custom_cityblock_stationEW" min_count="8" max_count="8"/>
    		</prefab_rule>
    The min/max counts will need to be adjusted depending on the size of the hub/city, these values I quite like within the 8x8 but theres no reason you can't add/remove whatever you like.

Known issues:

Some layers are clipped out by prefabs depending on the lot they spawn in and/or rotation
    Some city prefabs make a horrible mess of the tunnels
    "I can't see ♥♥♥♥♥ in those tunnels" : welcome to the real world, they are a very eerie and spooky system to explore now. If you're a real man and playing with the death by zombie set, they are also quite deadly!

A14 has seen 'some' performance loss when using this new set, it may be because of all the additional content/water added, but even with minimum settings ( reduced view distance still biggest performace increase in the city) Im still hovering around 30fps and getting regular stuttering.

As usual, all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated. In particular the performance loss is quite worrying and I'd really like to hear peoples thoughts in that regard. I have an emergency backup plan that will take time to execute, basically removing large chunks of the old system from each tile but I would like to avoid seriously messing the tunnels up as they are really starting to take a decent shape.
    Last edited by Slaan; 03-29-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: A14 ready!

That is impressive work. I'll check this out tonight; hope it works as intended and will let you know what happens.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- "Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well."

Nomad
    it works, but i do mention in my blog some of the issues with structural integrity in some areas, when you peek below the surface in DM you get an idea for the size of the area that has been dug out, somthing i did not account for... won't take too long to fix if it proves terrible, but inital testing in a large city has not been 'too bad' yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaan View Post
    it works, but i do mention in my blog some of the issues with structural integrity in some areas, when you peek below the surface in DM you get an idea for the size of the area that has been dug out, somthing i did not account for... won't take too long to fix if it proves terrible, but inital testing in a large city has not been 'too bad' yet...
    Ah, gotcha. Going to insert support pillars as you would find in a train station?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- a pillar of the community

Leader
    does this work with compo pack 8. or is that only your sewer system

or can you have both sewer and subway or.

Inventor
    I already have the "sewerCityTile" lines... are they compatible or should I replace the full cityBlocks entry with your lines?

Nomad
    treat these as a new mod and replace any old code. As far as im concerned, the compo pack has become my 'vanilla game' and I will always try and build with that in mind.

However...

These city blocks occupy a lot of the space between the prefabs, and there is a lot of clipping. Most of it is not so bad, kind of adds to the run down look, some of it however does look a bit odd. I have modified the vast majority of the prefabs in the compo pack I use on the test server atm to build my city hub with so they fit in a bit better, lined up pathways, replaced some ground layer details. The longer term goal is to release the cityhub and its mixer/groups as its own little pack, with the edited prefabs re-named and available too so they can be used alongside the compo pack without issue if people choose.

@Hotrod

The sewer part itself i think is ok and more or less complete. The subway is literally a hot of the press first pass and should really be considered a work-in-progress, I will modify my post to include this as its only just occurred to me now =S. Im still undecided on a less bland pattern to use, so functionality first then later on, maybe with inspiration (more than likely thats what starts me on buildathons!) but I have a feeling that support will have to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Someone had done an underground train station a while back for Navezgane. I think it may have been based on Gravetown in Navezgane; did you use these as references?

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- we come with references

Hi slaan, awesome job with this. I am certain it took you a lot of hours to bring everything together. I specifically like the idea about the interchangeable city blocks. Some real thinking outside of the box on that one.

If you need any prefab help let me know.

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    Someone had done an underground train station a while back for Navezgane. I think it may have been based on Gravetown in Navezgane; did you use these as references?
    This whole idea spawned from the original navesgane pack that had the sewers beneath diersville and the wastecity. I still use the graveyard station from the compo pack and I had often thought on how to modify that and the water plant to connect to the system somehow. The graveyard station feels more like an intercity station tho, its upper promenade reminds me of the waiting area in Newcastle airport where all the food stalls/stittin areas are. The station has toilets and many other features that one day I hope to intergrate into my system.

Before the beautifying can begin tho, I want to make sure the foundations are actually stable enough to build on lol, spinning 11 blocks from two base tiles is gonna be an awesome amount of edit time in the hals editor, so I will try and collect the worst problems and bugs together for a week or two before addressing it further.

@laz I love cityblocks, they can really add somthing to a hub when designed to, and the best part is, they interfere very little with the work people have already done on the 'topside' prefabs. Nothing stopping people who want to copy/pasta the base intersection or stationEW, chopping the surface layer and re-skinning it in red, white and water aisa theme.... or leaving the surface area and changing the subway or sewer section itself, train crash, exploded tunnel, subway cart storage hub, heck even a prefab thats not related to the system at all could still be joined to it via a broken wall or small tunnel, they can all be connected seamlessly.

Best of all, theres still a ton of space to be used up...

Really nice work... thanks!

Sent ya a PM Slaan.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- The PM of Navezgane

Quote Originally Posted by Slaan View Post
    This whole idea spawned from the original navesgane pack that had the sewers beneath diersville and the wastecity. I still use the graveyard station from the compo pack and I had often thought on how to modify that and the water plant to connect to the system somehow. The graveyard station feels more like an intercity station tho, its upper promenade reminds me of the waiting area in Newcastle airport where all the food stalls/stittin areas are. The station has toilets and many other features that one day I hope to intergrate into my system.

Before the beautifying can begin tho, I want to make sure the foundations are actually stable enough to build on lol, spinning 11 blocks from two base tiles is gonna be an awesome amount of edit time in the hals editor, so I will try and collect the worst problems and bugs together for a week or two before addressing it further.

@laz I love cityblocks, they can really add somthing to a hub when designed to, and the best part is, they interfere very little with the work people have already done on the 'topside' prefabs. Nothing stopping people who want to copy/pasta the base intersection or stationEW, chopping the surface layer and re-skinning it in red, white and water aisa theme.... or leaving the surface area and changing the subway or sewer section itself, train crash, exploded tunnel, subway cart storage hub, heck even a prefab thats not related to the system at all could still be joined to it via a broken wall or small tunnel, they can all be connected seamlessly.

Best of all, theres still a ton of space to be used up...
    im guessing that pack you speak of wouldnt work on 12.5 or with navezgane project. i would love that

It might, all Navezgane does is establish everything by fixed locations versus being randomly generated.

What Slaan did it modify the city blocks and didn't affect the space the above ground prefabs include.

I don't see why any prefab in Navezgane couldn't be generated within a RWG world if the .xml was done correctly.

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- did you know "Navezgane" is an anagram for "A Zen Vegan"?

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    im guessing that pack you speak of wouldnt work on 12.5 or with navezgane project. i would love that
    I'm talking really old, around alpha 8 I believe was the time we were looking at it, it was defo before random gen was released. I've not looked at the navezgane project personally (or naxezgane much at all since random gen) but it sounds very similar. I know that the spawning of prefabs was slightly different (maybe easier) as you could set the X/Y/Z location on a fixed size map, there was a spreadsheet floating around that showed the locations people had already built in to prevent others from over lapping their work.