Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bottled Water Suggestions

How about a water butt?

Most people have them to catch rain water, they are bulky but light when empty, making them easy to move and can hold gallons of water.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    How about a water butt?

Most people have them to catch rain water, they are bulky but light when empty, making them easy to move and can hold gallons of water.
    A water... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiek4d5 View Post
    A water... What?

Survivor
    This would be better: :P
    Water-Butt-Rain-Barrel.jpg

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokenscion View Post
    Never seen one of those in the United States, not even advertised, at least not the kind that collects rain water. What country is that in?

Inventor
    Probably one with cleaner rain?

Really though.. obtaining glass isn't hard. I routinely will head out to the desert (preferably with an auger), go ape on a mountain or something and bring back 3-4 stacks of sand. Convert them into fine sand, convert sand into glass plates, and store until I need more jars.

Non-reusable jars just makes 'self production' of glass an important aspect of survival. In the end, the water is better made into cornbread, blueberry pie, stews (home use only!), Tea, Coffee, and Yucca juice (sans water).

Cornbread is, effectively, made by three cooking processes (glass, water, bread), 1 sand, and 1 corn. It's one of the best staple foods you can carry, and if you need to hydrate, just use a lake. it's "nasty", but it fills the bar just fine.

On a side note: I've found glass plates to be the best way to store glass (like lead, brass, and iron ingots)
    Last edited by Zourin; 05-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zourin View Post
    Do you think dirty and poluted rain would stop any country from advertising a product like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zourin View Post

Really though.. obtaining glass isn't hard. I routinely will head out to the desert (preferably with an auger), go ape on a mountain or something and bring back 3-4 stacks of sand. Convert them into fine sand, convert sand into glass plates, and store until I need more jars.

Non-reusable jars just makes 'self production' of glass an important aspect of survival. In the end, the water is better made into cornbread, blueberry pie, stews (home use only!), Tea, Coffee, and Yucca juice (sans water).

Cornbread is, effectively, made by three cooking processes (glass, water, bread), 1 sand, and 1 corn. It's one of the best staple foods you can carry, and if you need to hydrate, just use a lake. it's "nasty", but it fills the bar just fine.

On a side note: I've found glass plates to be the best way to store glass (like lead, brass, and iron ingots)
    I usually have way too many glass jars from this >.< But I never find myself running low of my goldenrod tea. Then water or coffee when my goldenrod runs out T.T So back to Yucca juice damnit! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Shiek4d5 View Post
    Never seen one of those in the United States, not even advertised, at least not the kind that collects rain water. What country is that in?
    Probably because in some states, it's illegal to collect rain water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekk0 View Post
    Really? OMG. Better to use natural rain water to water your garden than the water that gets treated for you to drink. Especially in areas with little rainfall.

Anyway, with Ocean biomes on the list, water butts could also double as buoyancy devices when crafting rafts, boats.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekk0 View Post
    That is messed up, next thing you know they will say it is illegal to breath air through your mouth you will have to buy their breather masks.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Really? OMG. Better to use natural rain water to water your garden than the water that gets treated for you to drink. Especially in areas with little rainfall.

Anyway, with Ocean biomes on the list, water butts could also double as buoyancy devices when crafting rafts, boats.
    For sure.

Tracker
    I'm all for your suggestion. I've thought of the same things, although you do have to boil the water in your campfire to make bottled water rather than murky water.

Refugee
    I agree with OP, the mason jars should be re usable. Just got the game today and thought I'd found a glitch when I didn't get an empty glass after drinking it. Also what is this 5 uses? I right clicked once and it was gone....

That jars are discarded after drinking is just a deign decision and jars aren't as rare to be a terrible problem.

What irks me is the "muddy water".
    I'm a neat freak and I'd like to have clean water instead.

It could be something very simple.

Cooking:
    "muddy water" in a cooking pot results in "bottled water".

If in doubt, do the obvious. =)