Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What partif my rig is slowing me down the most?

I did a scratch install and didn't carry over any files from the old drive and mine worked like a charm first go. Did either of you use the migration tool? I heard that has some issues with it.

I had the option it was on the disk but I chose a clean install to be as optimal as possible. What I hated was I had to jump through hoops to even make the drive usable. I am also curious to see how much time is shaved off loading times playing fallout 4. It is nice I went to windows performance thing and my hdd went from a 5.2 to a 7.9.

Quote Originally Posted by JayzenFreeze View Post
    I had the option it was on the disk but I chose a clean install to be as optimal as possible. What I hated was I had to jump through hoops to even make the drive usable. I am also curious to see how much time is shaved off loading times playing fallout 4. It is nice I went to windows performance thing and my hdd went from a 5.2 to a 7.9.
    5.2... is that on a laptop or your desktop? Cuz even my laptop shows 5.9 for the standard hdd performance, and desktop sata hard drives are much quicker.

it is on my pc windows 7 x64 using a 2tb hdd sata. even my last hdd said 5.2

it is on my pc windows 7 x64 using a 2tb hdd sata. even my last hdd said 5.2
    Something is odd.
    5.2 is not good.
    2 HDD's in a row?
    My 1TB SATA III HDD rates at 7.1

You should notice the difference with your new SSD drive.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    If you have both SSD's and platters, the platters will lower the rating.

platters will lower the rating. ?

platters will lower the rating. ?
    non-SSD hard drisks. a.k.a platter drives. The experience rating bases it off the speed of your slowest drive, so if you have an SSD, and a platter drive, the rating will be based on the platter, and not the SSD.

I have 2 platter hdd's and 1 ssd as my master now my windows rating for hdd is 7.9 I read online that ssd drives dont last near as long as a platter drive which sucks. also I read online never defrag a ssd you wont see any performance difference and it only wears it down faster. This is my 1st ssd so its all new to me. but it makes me wonder why my platter drives all gave me only a 5.2 rating. hmm

I have 2 platter hdd's and 1 ssd as my master now my windows rating for hdd is 7.9 I read online that ssd drives dont last near as long as a platter drive which sucks. also I read online never defrag a ssd you wont see any performance difference and it only wears it down faster. This is my 1st ssd so its all new to me. but it makes me wonder why my platter drives all gave me only a 5.2 rating. hmm
    Technically, SSD drives may last longer than platters. For example, writing 50GB a day to the drive, a SSD will last about 10 years. The initial reports that they wouldn't last as long as a platter drive were based on false or incomplete information. (Side note: The good SSD drives have a 10-year warranty.)

No, you won't defrag a SSD. In fact, Windows auto-defrag will work on platter drives, but will ignore SSD's.

Also, SSD's will not increase base system performance. They will only affect data load times when accessing data on the drive. So your game will load faster, but you will not see a significant change in overall FPS. (You may see an initial boost in FPS, but it will level out to the same as a platter drive after a short bit. I tested this with a game that loads a lot of texture data into RAM and has some real issues with memory management. Initial FPS was around 150, but after about 20 minutes of gameplay it was right back down to the usual 40-60 FPS that the platter drive had.)

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    If you have both SSD's and platters, the platters will lower the rating.
    It only tests the main drive (the one with the OS) cuz I have an SSD, Sata 6GB/s hdd, Sata 3GB/s hdd as well as an old Pata drive in my gaming rig. The Windows 7 performance rating for my hdd section is maxed out at 7.9.
    Last edited by Fox; 12-05-2015 at 01:27 PM.

thats what i thought I wouldnt of gotten 7.9 with 1 ssd 500gb and 2-2TB platter drives. Windows does start up faster and stuff like that which is cool.

That's weird, at least you got it up and running