Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67

Thread: Auto turrets in 7 Days 2 Die

  1. #31
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    Again, to the last two posts... The craptastic paintball stuff would not work in any kind of uncontrolled environment. Again, I will take any of you into the wilderness and let's see how well they hold up

    Again, my AK47 might laugh at your backyard sentry gun. Lol

    And sentry guns aren't used IRL because they require constant human interaction, maintenance, and they suck. I can't count the amount of real life bases I've been to and again, you will not find a single sentry gun, for good reason.

    I'm not trying to be negative nancy here, but honestly, this tech isn't there yet. Haven't been to DARPA labs or Area 51, but your backyard stuff is effectively useless in real situations, sorry to say.
    Last edited by RavenGT; 12-04-2015 at 02:12 AM.

  2. #32
    Colony Founder Kurogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,535
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGT View Post
    Again, to the last two posts... The craptastic paintball stuff would not work in any kind of uncontrolled environment. Again, I will take any of you into the wilderness and let's see how well they hold up

    Again, my AK47 might laugh at your backyard sentry gun. Lol

    And sentry guns aren't used IRL because they require constant human interaction, maintenance, and they suck. I can't count the amount of real life bases I've been to and again, you will not find a single sentry gun, for good reason.

    I'm not trying to be negative nancy here, but honestly, this tech isn't there yet. Haven't been to DARPA labs or Area 51, but your backyard stuff is effectively useless in real situations, sorry to say.
    If you could provide more proof than your personal opinion, you might have some weight behind your argument. As it stands now, though, we've shown that the technology does exist, and is obtainable by the average person. Your superfluous invitation to go out in the woods isn't helping you any unless you'd be willing to make your own auto turret and show us how it turned out. But since we've already provided links to videos and websites that have that stuff, the effort is unnecessary.

  3. #33
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    My proof? I was military for long enough, for whatever that counts for. I've seen all KINDS of weapon systems, bases, you name it.

    If you want to rely on what the internet says and backyard tech, that's fine with me. Like I said, I trust TFP not to royally ♥♥♥♥ up the game. If you really think some silly paintball drone would work IRL, you are sadly mistaken my friend.

  4. #34
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    For the hell of it, like I said on the other thread on auto turrets, the Super Aegis II (SK design) has an entire computer center dedicated to testing a truly automated turret system, and it's had a myriad of issues. If you think you're building that in the apocalypse, you're already well beyond other tech that would probably save you more than a turret system.

    *Le sigh*.

    http://www.military.com/video/guns/m.../2207410055001

  5. #35
    Colony Founder Kurogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,535
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGT View Post
    My proof? I was military for long enough, for whatever that counts for. I've seen all KINDS of weapon systems, bases, you name it.

    If you want to rely on what the internet says and backyard tech, that's fine with me. Like I said, I trust TFP not to royally ♥♥♥♥ up the game. If you really think some silly paintball drone would work IRL, you are sadly mistaken my friend.
    I'd be mistaken if I took the word of some guy off the internet over video exhibitions of a working commercial product.

  6. #36
    Colony Founder Kurogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,535
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGT View Post
    For the hell of it, like I said on the other thread on auto turrets, the Super Aegis II (SK design) has an entire computer center dedicated to testing a truly automated turret system, and it's had a myriad of issues. If you think you're building that in the apocalypse, you're already well beyond other tech that would probably save you more than a turret system.

    *Le sigh*.

    http://www.military.com/video/guns/m.../2207410055001
    Now that is a bit more helpful. But the video doesn't state any problems with the system that you claim exist. It also has a lot of systems that aren't exactly necessary in a zombie apocalypse. Though the 3km range is nice, simpler, short range systems are still feasible.

  7. #37
    Zombie Hunter TehRoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurogo View Post
    As it stands now, though, we've shown that the technology does exist, and is obtainable by the average person.
    I have no argument against the technology and its existence, but to say that it is obtainable by the average person is a bit far fetched.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurogo View Post
    My question to those against it is this: What about it do you not like so much?
    The only reason I can come up with, is automation. But if that's the case, are you also against friendly NPCs?
    I would definitely be against fully automated sentry guns, but I would be all for gun emplacements that could be manned by NPC's (or PC's)

    In game terms a mounted gun manned by an NPC would function exactly the way you would imagine an autobot sentry gun to function, but could be explained away easily, as to how and why it functioned.

    but having an "Aliens" style sentry gun in 7DtD is a little far fetched in the genre.
    Last edited by TehRoach; 12-04-2015 at 01:30 PM.

  8. #38
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    Kurogo, sadly I have no GoPro footage of my time in SK, playing war games with SK. But it happened, their "turrets" don't work as described in those years old videos that litter the internet.

    You don't have to take my word for it, that's fine. But maybe there's a reason you don't see or hear of this stuff in the United States, Russia, China, etc., which have astronomical defense budgets. Theory and testing is one thing, real world is another.

    And... +123123 to what TehRoach said

  9. #39
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    1
    I could honestyl care less if it "real" or "logical" or any of those other words slung around. This is a zombie game (ie..not real), set 50 or so years in the future(have you seen the advances in technology over the last 10 years alone?), and it's a video game for entertainment. And i don't know about you guys, but sitting on the tower of my concrete base on day 152 watching a turret eat rss's and chop down zeds as i watch from my couch sipping some goldenrod could be very entertaining, which is what the game aims to accomplish. Just my .02

  10. #40
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    7 Days To Die, not 7 Housewives of Navezgane. 0.o

  11. #41
    Colony Founder Kurogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,535
    Rep Power
    1
    I think we're making progress here, not so much that it shouldn't be in, but how implementing it would be acceptable. I'd be all for manned mounted gun emplacements just as easily as auto turrets.

  12. #42
    Zombie Hunter TehRoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurogo View Post
    I think we're making progress here, not so much that it shouldn't be in, but how implementing it would be acceptable. I'd be all for manned mounted gun emplacements just as easily as auto turrets.
    I think more forms of base defense is essential for the "Tower defense" aspect of the game.

    IMO an NPC controlled turret would add more to the game than an AI controlled turret, even though they would essentially play identically in there primary function.
    but NPC's would add extra assets that needed protection,
    be assumed to fire in FoF mode
    have varying skill levels
    make 8 player MP and SP seam less lonely

    Could you imagine the intensity of a tactical withdrawal from an over run base, if your hard earned NPC's were involved,
    Just something that you can't get from a MP experience using VoIP.

  13. #43
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,467
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TehRoach View Post
    I have no argument against the technology and its existence, but to say that it is obtainable by the average person is a bit far fetched.
    ...
    No, it isn't. You can order it online right now. I provided the website url on the first page. All you need to run the software is a laptop or smartphone.

    Edit: Just in case anyone missed it....
    http://realsentrygun.com/

    I am in no way affiliated with them, but that is pretty freaking awesome.

  14. #44
    Ranger RavenGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0
    Perfect, you go trusting your base to silly paintball turrets. You don't have to worry about me sneaking in with my real weaponry and brain... Just go back into your false sense of security

  15. #45
    Zombie Hunter TehRoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    No, it isn't. You can order it online right now. I provided the website url on the first page. All you need to run the software is a laptop or smartphone.

    Edit: Just in case anyone missed it....
    http://realsentrygun.com/

    I am in no way affiliated with them, but that is pretty freaking awesome.
    OK that is cool now.

    But try getting one without using the internet or UPS etc.?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •