Thread: Allow craft-able guns

Allow craft-able guns

So was thinking with skill system we could bring back at least in part craftable guns.

1. For starters this probably wouldn't apply to all parts - especially for snipers, i'd say a scope should never be craftable and be loot only which would make it quite valuable.

My idea is for stuff like receivers when you find one you can break it down into pistol/shotgun/sniper receiver parts. The number of parts you get is based on the quality of receiver you breakdown. With the gunsmith skill at certain levels you gain the ability to craft receivers at varying qualities by using those parts. The parts are only obtained from breaking down guns and incrementally require more and more parts for higher tier quality.

This way you still have to loot guns, but if you are a master gunsmith you could assemble a flawless receiver from 20 faulty ones for instance.

Stocks and Barrels could work with this system at well, although ideally it would be cool if we had a special process to make barrels. Each type of weapon can require different amounts of skill. For example its much easier to assemble a flawless pistol or shotgun and it could require more skill to assemble a faulty sniper then a flawless pistol.

If there is also a workbench skill level or metalworking skill some of the parts might require certain minimum levels in multiple skills.
    Last edited by Brian9824; 12-09-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    So was thinking with skill system we could bring back at least in part craftable guns.

1. For starters this probably wouldn't apply to all parts - especially for snipers, i'd say a scope should never be craftable and be loot only which would make it quite valuable.

My idea is for stuff like receivers when you find one you can break it down into pistol/shotgun/sniper receiver parts. The number of parts you get is based on the quality of receiver you breakdown. With the gunsmith skill at certain levels you gain the ability to craft receivers at varying qualities by using those parts. The parts are only obtained from breaking down guns and incrementally require more and more parts for higher tier quality.

This way you still have to loot guns, but if you are a master gunsmith you could assemble a flawless receiver from 20 faulty ones for instance.

Stocks and Barrels could work with this system at well, although ideally it would be cool if we had a special process to make barrels. Each type of weapon can require different amounts of skill. For example its much easier to assemble a flawless pistol or shotgun and it could require more skill to assemble a faulty sniper then a flawless pistol.

If there is also a workbench skill level or metalworking skill some of the parts might require certain minimum levels in multiple skills.
    Sort of like what's going on in Fallout? Either you have awesome premade guns or "pipe guns" !

@Gerrior

The concept is about how to replace gunmolds.

With gunmolds you just get a good gun, and then you can make an infinite supply with just Iron...meaning you dont farm many gunstores until you're finished, and if you play MP guns are worthless and you can easily print copies for your group/friends.

With the suggested concept you could add whole guns to the game, with several ruined parts...you could remove the good parts, like for example a "Pistol Receiver" and you could break it down into "Pistol Parts".

Then with a good gunsmithing skill you could take the "Pistol Parts" and use them to make a new "Pistol Receiver" thats a higher quality based on # of parts used and skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrior View Post
    Sort of like what's going on in Fallout? Either you have awesome premade guns or "pipe guns" !
    Not really, the guns are the same, no new guns, no new quality levels. It's just giving you the ability with the right skill to breakdown the gun components to recover parts that could be then fastened into higher quality parts. Afterall a master gunsmith could take a pile of broken guns and assemble one working gun out of it. Not every part of the gun would be unusable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheos View Post
    @Gerrior

The concept is about how to replace gunmolds.

With gunmolds you just get a good gun, and then you can make an infinite supply with just Iron...meaning you dont farm many gunstores until you're finished, and if you play MP guns are worthless and you can easily print copies for your group/friends.

With the suggested concept you could add whole guns to the game, with several ruined parts...you could remove the good parts, like for example a "Pistol Receiver" and you could break it down into "Pistol Parts".

Then with a good gunsmithing skill you could take the "Pistol Parts" and use them to make a new "Pistol Receiver" thats a higher quality based on # of parts used and skill level.
    Exactly and the parts are not craftable, or if we allow them to be craftable they require components that can only be obtained ideally from breaking down guns. So you can't just sit underground and churn out an endless supply of weapons. You have to actually go out and acquire guns.

There is no fix for the "endless supply" issue... until you use permanent degradation of parts and molds.

You can repair guns normally and as often as you like but 1% (or whatever) of the repaired damage is substraced from the quality level.

You can make a mold from such a part but everytime you use the mold, it loses a few % of it's QL.

You can still make good guns... for a while... but you're not "done with weapons" once you have one set of perfect parts.

You should be able to craft the "sniper" rifle sans scope, and add this on later as an attachment.

the trouble is the forge mould issue with gun parts . ( gun moulds are still i nthe game under creative menu) but the issue is when you start making them its a totally random quality between 01 and 600 and as the forge staks you can just keep making them untill it hits flawless and take out the entire stack as flawless.

hopefully with the new craftign stations on A13 we will be able to get these back with more along the lines of other crafting quality dictated by skill/level.

if the craft stations are xml driven and the gun parts arnt in by default im sure it wont be long before they are modded in.

Quote Originally Posted by Deccypher View Post
    the trouble is the forge mould issue with gun parts . ( gun moulds are still i nthe game under creative menu) but the issue is when you start making them its a totally random quality between 01 and 600 and as the forge staks you can just keep making them untill it hits flawless and take out the entire stack as flawless.

hopefully with the new craftign stations on A13 we will be able to get these back with more along the lines of other crafting quality dictated by skill/level.

if the craft stations are xml driven and the gun parts arnt in by default im sure it wont be long before they are modded in.
    The problem is gun molds make no sense. Iron ore and boom you can make flawless guns at level 1? Since we have weaponsmithing skills now and perks coming it makes more sense to have a more involved system where you need more then iron and your levels actually matter

The latest version of Deathwish by Razzoriel used a novel way to avoid the endless reforming to get perfect parts.
    The mold outputs were "roughs" of the part requiring additional crafting stages to create the useable part.
    This was when quality was applied/relevant and by memory the refined part had a lower forge weight so some loss of material is built in.
    You can still melt them down again but at least its not 1 for one like vanilla.

Then again I could say Deathwish really goes into firearms, adding tons of weapons, detailed gunsmithing, extremely detailed bullet manufacture and the associated stuff like chemistry, more detailed medicine etc.
    Lot more involved in terms of weapons and bullets, closer to a simulation in terms of ammunition eg. Primer + case + propellant + projectile for the rounds at the basic level of detail.
    I actually had to Google some things to even know the use until he made some handy in game notes lol.

It's making a return in a few weeks for A13.

Refugee

visuals

i would love to see some craftable weapons in the game something you can start with the breaking down of assembled weapons is a great idea what i would like to see is the weapons looking like you actually put them together i mean finding a nice shotgun or rifle is amazing but finding one only to use it to make your weapon you made better is awesome hopefully we see something like this implemented i would love it

Scavenger
    My opinion comes the aspect of a shooter, and a person who's made his own firearms. Firearms are easy(ish) to make at home with the appropriate tools and components. Conceding a few things for the sake of simplicity in the game, let's assume springs are various sizes so we can find appropriate sized retainer Springs, etc.

There should be two added *non craftable* items. A drill press and an end mill. These are very realistically going to be found in tool shops and auto garages. These should not be craftable OR movable. This would force players who wanted the luxury of crafting guns to explore urban areas and spend time in the shops. These items COULD even be battery powered and require oil to lube the drill bit.

A player could take forged iron (yes, I know its actually aluminum in real life) after learning the details of creating the lower receiver, etc. In the schematics, and turn these billets into the lower receivers and frames for his firearms, using the rare end mill/drill press. Barrels could also be designed in similar fashions.

Synthetic stocks could in theory be designed in a similar manner. Or even 3d printed if they wanted to add another non craftable to the game. I don't know where that should be located at though... Somewhere in an urban building, so that players would have to spend reasonable amounts of time in zombie territory, traveling to various buildings in order to reap the benefits of gun crafting.

Obviously I'm suggesting a more realistic approach and a more involved approach... But I feel the idea of gun crafting, while a great add, should be done in a method that requires as much effort to accomplish as it does luck.
    Last edited by Prodigy; 05-13-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    I don't have much opinion on the kind of gun crafting discussed here, specifically. But I love the idea of some unmovable craft table-type tools! Like you point out, they'd create a good risk versus reward for staying in the city longer and more often. Currently I go into the city to loot stuff, and get out as soon as possible. The only reason I've stayed overnight was to loot all the safes in a bank, which I didn't have time to do before nightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
    There should be two added *non craftable* items. A drill press and an end mill. These are very realistically going to be found in tool shops and auto harshness. These should not be craftable OR movable. This would force players who wanted the luxury of crafting guns to explore urban areas and spend time in the shops. These items COULD even be battery powered and require oil to lube the drill bit.

A player could take forged iron (yes, I know its actually aluminum in real life) after learning the details of creating the lower receiver, etc. In the schematics, and turn these billets into the lower receivers and frames for his firearms, using the rare end mill/drill press. Barrels could also be designed in similar fashions.
    I'm not against that but they should also be craftable or able to loot components to make one rarely. Too much potential for griefing and theoretically everyone of them on the server could be destroyed. Just imagine some guy destroying them all and barricading the only remaining one behind land claim blocks.