Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiki help thread .

Colony Founder

Wiki help thread .

So, I have started updating the Wiki the best I can for A13 . It hasn't been updated since around a9 , so a lot has changed . I have the mining page about done, just need to add some new pics when I get home , but I was working on farming and it has the grow times on it . Have those been changed does anyone know ? I thought there was mention that it had been but maybe not . I know the seed quantities and such changed and harvest quantities , but does anyone know about the timers officially? Or know where I can pull that info from? And if anyone has any ideas or anything for the Wiki that they would like added or anything let me know and I'll try to fix it as I go . Thanks .

Ps : yes I know the wiki will change when the game changes and all that jazz , but there's no need in letting it rot away until 2016-17 whenever the game goes beta. So please spare the speech .

Colony Founder
    - Changed mining notes-
    -Removed Tungsten from mineables-
    -Made changes to "Caves" section to reflect new world ore spawning-
    -Added coal and potassium to above ground spawn-
    -Added steel pickaxe to mining tools and changed description of some of tools-
    -Changed details in server description and in server manager section to reflect outdate manager-
    -Changed seeds to 1 per tree felling now-

Awesome, good work for taking the initiative!

I've been revisiting the wiki since A13 in hopes there was something new. A13 is very different, particularly the pace at which one can build a base. I've had to adjust my strategy but realized soon after I took "structural integrity" for granted. With limited resources you really have to approach base building like a civil engineer. Here's hoping blocks info is updated!

Colony Founder
    Thanks ! Hopefully it will be of some help to the community .
    Speaking of which ..
    -added some info about SI in the mining section -
    - clarified the sneak page a little -
    - changed the noises of hitting materials to match in mining section -
    I will keep this as a sort of change log on my progress . Please feel free to double check me and make sure my stuff is accurate and not offending any grammar nazis :-) .

Also is it ok to put public images on a wiki? Like if I take someone's screenshot from steam put it on the wiki is that a no-no? Or should I credit them for pic? Anyone know how that works ?

Colony Founder
    I decided to just do screenshots myself for the stuff that wasn't already there . That way no copyright issues :-).
    Made more changes to the mining section and almost have it done .
    -added images for missing ores and to update older photos -
    -added descriptions to reflect A13 mining -
    -Changed the info about caves around to reflect changes in a13 -
    -changed the ores to reflect getting scrap lead, iron fragments and such-
    Also changed the links to direct to new materials .
    Starting on farming now as soon as I'm done adding the iron details .

Quote Originally Posted by thewalkingdeadguy View Post
    Also is it ok to put public images on a wiki? Like if I take someone's screenshot from steam put it on the wiki is that a no-no? Or should I credit them for pic? Anyone know how that works ?
    If the image is public domain, than completely yes. For using Steam screenshots, basically in your situation you are not infringing on any of their exclusive rights so you should be good.

As long as you try to inform the people whose images you are using and always give proper credit to works used that are not yours, you will be in good standing.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake0567 View Post
    If the image is public domain, than completely yes. For using Steam screenshots, basically in your situation you are not infringing on any of their exclusive rights so you should be good.

As long as you try to inform the people whose images you are using and always give proper credit to works used that are not yours, you will be in good standing.
    Cool deal thanks !

-I updated the crawler zombie to the new model -
    -added new pics of Bear and changed description to match new behavior -
    - added Zombie bears to the special zombies list -
    -finished the mining section -

Hi. I just wanted to say well done and thanks on behalf of everyone (I hope!) for taking on what is I'm sure a mammoth task. I only recently joined the community when I got the game, which at the time was A12.5. I searched around a lot for info early doors and found the wiki invaluable to a point, though that of course lessened substantially with the jump to 13.x.

So now we have decent sized changes (forging/RWG/LOADS OF OTHER STUFF!) the wiki definitely needs some tlc.

I for one would love to help if you need any with anything, although I doubt my level of expertise is anywhere near most on these forums. Maybe you could get this or a similar thread sticky'd and put out a general call to arms for assistance? For example I would really like to find out some proper guidance on making little tweaks/minor changes/additions via the XML, which I think should be possible for all players, irrespective of their technical proficiency. So maybe there are people here whose expertise could be harnessed as it appears to have been in the past but not so much lately.

All that said, I appreciate that the big changes are indeed quite recent and may well change again a lot prior to Beta. But surely yours is the right mindset, in that changes made now will lessen the load in future for those (hopefully many!) players that will come after us.

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Colony Founder
    Thanks for the kinds words and feedback!. I know absolutely nothing really about this stuff, but i am figuring it out as i go :-). All the sections need some TLC, Trying to just work through it piece by piece. I figure if this gets enough attention Roland or Malthis will sticky it in due time.
    The XML idea is a good one and i like it . I could possibly use some youtube vids instructional videos and give people a general idea. Only problem i see with trying that is the XMLS change dramatically, but i guess all of it does sooo..theres that haha. Someone mentioned doing a POI section which would be cool too since the pimps released some new ones in 13. I am gonna try to fix whats there and then I'll go back and add sections if time allows or if someone wants to hop in and help out.
    Latest changes-
    -Changed bloated walk and spider zombie from "special" zeds to "normal" zeds-
    -Added screamers as the new scout and erased all the spider zombie scout stuff-
    -Changed the images for bloated and cop zombies to the new A13 ones-
    -Changed a bunch of descriptions down the zombie page to match new behaviour-
    -Fixed some old info about biomes in the worlds section(mainly the rivers seperating biomes and stuff like that)-

Colony Founder
    -Added new Feral pictures-
    -Updated Festering Zombie and changed pics-
    -Changed Nude walker to removed section-
    -Added new pics of Frozen lumberjack and added new loot table-
    -Added a Screamer zombie page and images/description-
    -Added Mocap and Dismemberment to Zombies section under behaviour-

Almost done with the zombie section. I need to get all the new zombies in with the new names, but that will have to be tonight when i have access to the game again. The crafting section is next, but i am going to have to all but overhaul that because nearly everything is outdated at the moment.

Colony Founder
    Does anyone know an admin or is an admin of the Wiki? I was working on the crafting section and the main stub for crafting has a crafting video from A1 maybe A2? Definitely outdated and now obsolete since the crafting grid is gone. I tried to leave messages on the admin's page, but most everything looks like it's been abandoned since 2013.

Refugee
    Great Job thewalkingdeadguy! Thanks for giving the Wiki some much needed attention

I wonder who would have be responsible originally? Maybe the Pimps themselves? Perhaps Roland or Malthis would know?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by stinnaz View Post
    I wonder who would have be responsible originally? Maybe the Pimps themselves? Perhaps Roland or Malthis would know?
    Not sure. It has an admin panel, but like i said that looks desolate. I contacted Roland and he didn't know, still waiting on Malthis to see if he knew. I have just started doing other things for now, until i get it figured out. Hopefully i'll catch someone or an admin will look at wiki at some point :-). I know Rhuenick(i'm assuming Richard) has been on it because i see the update notes he put on the main page. So the pimps probably have the end say in all of it, but i doubt they pay it much attention. Roland did give me the ok to put the Forge video he did for A13 on there, so i am making a forging section/revamping the old one now. Crafting section will have to wait for the time being, because it won't let me edit templates or crafting main page. Ill let you guys know any progress i figure out.

I am working on the Biomes now. Hope to add pictures tonight. Fixed most of the descriptions and put in information about temperature survival for the biomes as well. Also hope to make a whole section on the Temperature survival when i get done with Biomes.

@King thanks ! Hopefully players will get some better use out of it when i'm done. If nothing else it will make it much easier for the next guys to update it later :-)
    Last edited by thewalkingdeadguy; 12-30-2015 at 07:30 PM.

I hope you don't mind but I started "editing" it a bit after you'd done pages. Sorting the links to keywords out (like [[Zombies]]) and the odd typo etc. I might follow you around and carry on as you update each page maybe? Not being a grammar, but it will leave you free to concentrate on content perhaps? Could do with a list of keywords really... I'll have a look in a bit...