Thread: Coal in caves?

Scavenger

Question Coal in caves?

Hi.

I have explored many caves but no coal in any of them so far. Am i just unlucky or have i mist some thing?

Unlucky. I have found it, normally mixed in with or near iron deposits.

I haven't had a chance to play for the past month since Alpha 13 just came out, but how are ore and caves? I found plenty of caves and from what i saw in alpha 13, i think the ore was visible on the walls at the entrance. is it easily visible if you go in a cave?

Refugee
    I am having the same issue. I've probably checked 8 different caves around me. All iron and lead. I've hit every dark block in those caves, and only iron. On the plus side I have iron for days.

Minerals, like coal, are now evenly distributed throughout the layers of stone everywhere on the map. Ore is no longer a cave-specific thing, so your chances of finding ore in a cave actually seems to be less than in Alpha 12 (unless it is potassium nitrate). Coal can be occasionally found on the surface in small little deposits in the forest biome.

Survivor
    I also found no coal after going into 12 caves. I finally gave up on caves and just dug my own mine near my base and sure enough...coal.

Tracker
    You can still get some quite easily on the surface, many biomes including Snow, forest, grassland will have it. I just look for small dark gray spots on the map and find a lot of coal.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwar View Post
    You can still get some quite easily on the surface, many biomes including Snow, forest, grassland will have it. I just look for small dark gray spots on the map and find a lot of coal.
    You can do that but you have to run all over the place to find it. And it isn't very easy to find, especially after a couple of runs doing it. I spent a whole day doing that and came home with less than 400 lumps. It really is necessary to eventually find a place where you can mine it in bulk from one location.

Scavenger
    I have found out that i was in the wrong bio for coal. I whent to a forest cave and found alot and in a burnt forest and found alot on thos caves but not in the hmm dry bio with some trees in thos i found no coal at all. Sorry för bad spelling