Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial XML Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    I was under the impression if it is posted here then it is "free to use"
    I think you misunderstand free to use verse free to re-distribute. True, if you post a modification here, anyone can download the changes and apply it to their game or server...that's what this forum is for.

Taking those changes and re-uploading them in your own mod can put you on tricky ground. Anytime someone creates something, they are automatically protected by copyright law. Most modders here may not care if their work is re-distributed in other collections or might even desire it but if they do not explicitly say so, you cannot just assume so and be "in the clear."

So if you post mods, be sure to make it clear about your position regarding other modders modding what you did and re-distributing. This will keep the legal issues much more clear.

So if you see a mod author posting his/her work but not making it clear about others modding/redistributing, encourage them to make their thoughts clear like Clockwork Orange did.

LHammonds

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
    Yeah that is weird, you can test it for yourself if you dont believe me, I was in cheat mode but that definitely should not effect anything.
    Tested it out. Didn't work for me. Is your wrench code different by chance?

Colony Founder Clockwork Orange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    I wonder then what the point is of having "allowed upgrade items"

According to the wrench it should only allow you to upgrade with certain items:
    <property name="Allowed_upgrade_items" value="wood,scrapIron,forgedIron,forgedSteel,concr eteMix,cobblestones" />

Strange. Yet my "Remote", which uses the same property to only allow it to repair with itself, cannot repair woodframes. It just flashes that I need wood (even though I have it in my inventory).

Curious indeed.
    I think I found out why this is working i think it is because the short metal pipe does not have <property name="RepairAmount" value="10" /> associated with it.

So maybe any item that does not have this code can maybe be used by any repair tool to repair things...

- - - Updated - - -

Tested it out. Didn't work for me. Is your wrench code different by chance?
    nope i didn't change anything with the wrench.

Maybe it was because I was in cheat mode to spawn the stuff in to test it...

I think I found out why this is working i think it is because the short metal pipe does not have <property name="RepairAmount" value="10" /> associated with it.

So maybe any item that does not have this code can maybe be used by any repair tool to repair things...

- - - Updated - - -

nope i didn't change anything with the wrench.

Maybe it was because I was in cheat mode to spawn the stuff in to test it...
    Nah you're solid. I'm just stupid.

I was trying to upgrade it, NOT repair. After DAMAGING the block first I was able to repair it.

My bad.

Nah you're solid. I'm just stupid.

I was trying to upgrade it, NOT repair. After DAMAGING the block first I was able to repair it.

My bad.
    Lol no worries but that still leaves the quest as to how it is possible without it being added to the repair tool like the others, other than what I stated as that short metal pipes do not have a repair value associated with them....

i just made another fast test with solid rebar ramp frame and changed the repair item to omnigel which is a modded item that is in my game and it works fine as well without having to add it to the repair tool. And it has no repair value associated with it.
    Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 01-07-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    I think you misunderstand free to use verse free to re-distribute. True, if you post a modification here, anyone can download the changes and apply it to their game or server...that's what this forum is for.

Taking those changes and re-uploading them in your own mod can put you on tricky ground. Anytime someone creates something, they are automatically protected by copyright law. Most modders here may not care if their work is re-distributed in other collections or might even desire it but if they do not explicitly say so, you cannot just assume so and be "in the clear."

So if you post mods, be sure to make it clear about your position regarding other modders modding what you did and re-distributing. This will keep the legal issues much more clear.

So if you see a mod author posting his/her work but not making it clear about others modding/redistributing, encourage them to make their thoughts clear like Clockwork Orange did.

LHammonds
    Ahhhahhhhaaaahhhahhhhaaa...good one

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- I am the law
    Last edited by h0tr0d; 01-07-2016 at 01:22 AM. Reason: too many "h"

Hmm but upon further testing even if I add:

<property name="RepairTime" value="0.5" />
    <property name="RepairAmount" value="50" />

this to the short metal pipe I can still use it for repairing without having to add it to the tool itself so I am utterly confused. lol

h0tr0d, play nice now I hate to say but LHammonds is correct every modder has a right to the work they do and should be treated with respect although there may not be legal documents backing up any modders mod, this does not give anyone the right to redistribute there work without their permission.

Scavenger
    Thanks again for collecting these fixes in one place! This is a great base for modders to use. One more fix that I think should at least be looked into is in the entitygroups.xml. Currently, there is the 'ZombieWastelandNight' and 'ZombieWastelandNight2' groups. The 7 night hordes from day 21-35 use the ZombieWastelandNight group, and then from day 42+, it switches to using the ZombieWastelandNight2 group. Presumably, the ZombieWasteland2 group should allow spawning of tougher zombies, but it looks wrong to me. While the ZombieWasteland2 group does have a 5% higher chance of spawning ZombieCops, it seems to not be able to spawn Feral zombies (so the way it stands now, feral zombies can only spawn on night 21, 28, and 35). Another problem is the spawn probability of the male (stronger) zombies is reduced slightly in ZombieWasteland2... so you end up getting less chance of male (stronger) zombies, no chance of ferals, and a slightly higher chance of zombie cops and zombie bears from day 42+. This seems wrong to me.

Here are the original files:
    ZombiesWastelandNight
    Code:
        <entitygroup name="ZombiesWastelandNight">
    		<entity name="spiderzombie"/>
            <entity name="zombieBoe" prob="0.05"/>
            <entity name="zombieJoe" prob="0.05"/>
            <entity name="zombieSteve" prob="0.05"/>
            <entity name="zombieMoe" prob="0.05"/>
            <entity name="zombieYo" prob="0.05"/>
    		<entity name="zombieArlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieDarlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieMarlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieNurse" />		
    		<entity name="hornet" prob="0.15"/>
    		<entity name="zombiedog" prob="0.15"/>
    		<entity name="zombieSteveCrawler" prob="0.05"/>
    		<entity name="fatzombiecop" prob="0.15"/>
    		<entity name="burntzombie" prob="0.05"/>
    		<entity name="zombieBear" prob="0.05"/>
    		<entity name="zombieferal" prob="0.05"/>
    		<!-- <entity name="zombieFemaleHazmat" prob="0.02" /> -->

</entitygroup>
    ZombieWastelandNight2:
    Code:
        <entitygroup name="ZombiesWastelandNight2">
            <entity name="zombieBoe" prob="0.03"/>
            <entity name="zombieJoe" prob="0.03"/>
            <entity name="zombieSteve" prob="0.03"/>
            <entity name="zombieMoe" prob="0.03"/>
            <entity name="zombieYo" prob="0.03"/>
    		<entity name="zombieArlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieDarlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieMarlene" />
    		<entity name="zombieNurse" />
    		<entity name="spiderzombie" prob="0.15"/>		
    		<entity name="hornet" prob="0.15"/>
    		<entity name="zombiedog" prob="0.20"/>
    		<entity name="zombieSteveCrawler" prob="0.03"/>
    		<entity name="zombieBear" prob="0.1"/>
    		<entity name="fatzombiecop" prob="0.2"/>
    		<entity name="burntzombie" prob="0.03"/>
        </entitygroup>

You are welcome!

This is going to a controversial change I think, since zombie bears and ferals are really strong plus take in account for needing variance

I will propose that I will change the spawning code so that it will alternate between these two groups up until day 203 then on day 210 you will get the feral spawning horde (ZombiesWastelandNight) repeating every 7 days...?
    Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 01-07-2016 at 01:46 AM.

h0tr0d, play nice now I hate to say but LHammonds is correct every modder has a right to the work they do and should be treated with respect although there may not be legal documents backing up any modders mod, this does not give anyone the right to redistribute there work without their permission.
    Just an FYI, but from the EULA any mods are essentially open for TFP to use in any way they wish, and that includes players of the game.

From the EULA - USER CREATED CONTENT section: "You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution with respect to Licensor’s and other players’ use and enjoyment of such assets in connection with the Software and related goods and services under applicable law."

While it is certainly nice if people give credit to others for use of what they create (although that's a tricky mess, how can you prove something is copied vs created independently with a text edit with limited valid syntax?) there is no legal standpoint for a modder to claim copyright that would hold up in court (based on my non lawyer understanding of the EULA).

That is why I stated there may not be any legal documentation or legal grounds for a modder to stand on, but in order for the modding community to thrive modders still need to be treated with the respect they deserve.

A good example is my Let me decorate mod that incorporates Rongo The Bolds mods as well , I most certainly asked him first before I published the combined works.
    Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 01-07-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Update (1/6/16)
    +Spawning

-Changed 7 day feral hordes will now alternate between ZombiesWastelandNight and ZombiesWastelandNight2 up until day 210 where in which the ZombiesWastelandNight horde containing feral zombies will repeatedly spawn every 7 days.

That is why I stated there may not be any legal documentation or legal grounds for a modder to stand on, but in order for the modding community to thrive modders still need to be treated with the respect they deserve.

A good example is my Let me decorate mod that incorporates Rongo The Bolds mods as well , i most certainly asked him first before I published the combined works.

No one is disrespecting any modder or their work, that is an example of "strawman" fallacy of argument. You're asserting that in clarifying that modders aren't covered by copyright laws or, that in posting your "work" in the modding forums you are not somehow "protected', is me not considering that...how did you say..."every modder has a right to the work they do and should be treated with respect".

First off, no one has any "right" to do the work they do. What does that even mean? If anyone has any "rights" it's TFP owning the game and its code, or how this forum/game operates.

"...this does not give anyone the right to redistribute there work without their permission" is another fallacy of argument; you are making an argument by assertion. This is false.

This topic has been discussed repeatedly on these forums...asking is a courtesy. There is a very clear understanding.

Code:
    If you don't want your code used; don't post it.
    Your idea probably isn't original and if it is and you don't want it used...refer to the previous statement.
    No one's mods are "copyrighted".
    Modders don't "own" the code or the game.
    Asking "permission" is a courtesy, and one which is well regarded. Not enforceable and not mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by StompyNZ View Post
    Just an FYI, but from the EULA any mods are essentially open for TFP to use in any way they wish, and that includes players of the game.

From the EULA - USER CREATED CONTENT section: "You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution with respect to Licensor’s and other players’ use and enjoyment of such assets in connection with the Software and related goods and services under applicable law."

While it is certainly nice if people give credit to others for use of what they create (although that's a tricky mess, how can you prove something is copied vs created independently with a text edit with limited valid syntax?) there is no legal standpoint for a modder to claim copyright that would hold up in court (based on my non lawyer understanding of the EULA).

GG

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- I'd call you a sadistic equestrian necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.
    Last edited by h0tr0d; 01-07-2016 at 02:18 AM.

I dont disagree with any of that I just dont want anyone getting mad at anyone simply because they didn't extend that courtesy.