View Poll Results: What do you think of the PVE proposal?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I like this idea itís a great step for the first version of PVE

229 68.36%
  • No I donít like this idea we need the current Friendly Fire game options

86 25.67%
  • I donít care about PVE

20 5.97%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PVP, PVE and Friendly Fire Poll

PVP, PVE and Friendly Fire Poll

Folks we’ve been thinking about PVE and Friendly Fire and want your opinion. We know we can improve this a lot and don’t really have a PVE currently but here is a poll with a simple thing we could implement soon.

So we’re thinking about removing the friendly fire game option and hard coding it so you cannot kill players in your friends list ever as this is a redundant option. With this change would come 2 new game options PVE with this setting you cannot kill players on a server friend or not. PVP you can kill everyone but friends on a server basically like our normal game mode now but with friendly fire off.

Note: the above concept would not take priority over larger game breaking bugs.

Cheers Richard
    Last edited by The Fun Pimp; 01-05-2016 at 06:07 PM.

What you said sounds like a good idea but what would help a lot is fixing it so exploiters cannot access game commands and go into creative mode in multiplayer and ruin everyone's game. Maybe also fix the ladder glitch so people can't easily see underground, and also shoot anything through the ground, thus ruining the game for everyone. I could go on. These things would be important to fix. Your above proposed change might be helpful but it's not a game ruining situation like these other old, old issues that have been previously reported dozens of times. Thank you.

Reconstructionist
    Right clism.. i hope they fixed this soon..exploiters and dupers.. So many dupe bugs... :-( This ruinied the multiplayer community. They better should fix all the old bugs before get new ideas..

I'm seeing a few NOs and and would like to hear a good argument for it. I couldn't think of one as it doesn't hurt any current mode. Fixing dupe bugs is a separate issue and not a reason to vote no as this poll is not a priority list unless there is a valid reason to keep current friendly fire options.
    Last edited by The Fun Pimp; 01-05-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Reconstructionist
    No because you should spend your time to fix bugs and improve mutiplayer dedicated server..

I'm one of the no voters.

I understand that some PvE servers may not want to have any player kills, but this might not be desired by all. I do play on PvE servers, but I do enjoy FF to be disabled. It's not because I wish to kill the other players, but because it adds a little risk if I am not cautious with my aim. Personally, I would prefer seeing the FF expanded to On, Friends Safe and Off. Let the server admins decide how they would like their worlds.

I voted yes as our three servers are PVE only, well suppose to be until you get ragging trolls coming in and think it's ok to disrupt an entire community with their idiotic behavior.

Our admins do the best they can but can't always be there. So having a pure no combat pvp option would be great and would benifit not just my community but all other non PVE communities.

I read this and I'm just thinking "add options, don't remove any".

As far as I'm concerned, I play on a private dedicated servers with friends only, so that's not a priority in terms of development for me, although I think it's gret that PVE sees more attention at some point to broaden the player base.

This poll is totally misleading and out of the context or i have misunderstood the post:

You are basically asking about our opinion on two totally unrelated subjects. How are PvP and PvE connected to be eligible in this kind of poll?
    If the game mode is set to PvE i have no problem having no friendly fire, since its PvE. On the other hand if the game mode isnt PvE i really have to think about friendly fire (when it comes to game development).

EDIT: I did misread the opening post. Ignore the 1st paragraph. Or maybe everything except the TL DR part... Sometimes i should read things twice before posting...

Basically i couldnt care less about PvE solution to friendly fire, since killing ppl isnt the objective. Having friendly fire off "only" prevents griefing scenarios. If there is anything else that friendly fire off does in PvE please tell me, cus i want to expand my view on this subject.

On the other side, when it comes to PvP, im much for having friendly fire. If you are playing with friends you should be careful with your weapons. By friends i mean ppl in ur friend list.If there is no friendly fire, you can just have 10 people in a narrow corridor shooting through each other and killing anyone trying to defend. Even if you die (or more of you), you will still be able to overcome the target, since no friendly fire. If bullets would not pass through friends it would make totally no sense as well - im shooting and nothing is happening.
    There are some other scenarios where friendly fire and team killing is a "good" thing. Imagine you are trying to assault someones base and u fall into a nice trap and cant get out. You have 2 options: Try digging out through all the claimed area, or commit a suicide. Well, u cant commit a suicide... So your friend can "toss" you a bit of the spare lead and "help" you.
    Friendly fire also contributes when looting big places (maybe even small). If you dont pay attention and there are zombies around, and you are on the edge you might shoot a few bullets at your mate cus you got scared. That would make your looting mission a bit screwed. While this might sound punishing for no reason, it is immersive.
    Friendly fire also makes u think where you move when you are fighting hordes. Do you really want to walk like a complete "the-world-is-mine" idiot not caring about where your friends are shooting?

TLR

PvE defaults the player behaviour to focus on something other than killing players. If kills happen they are either by accident or by griefers. Thus, i dont see the real need for removing friendly fire, but it could be added as an option.

PvP is the most immersive thing in this game and having friendly fire off makes it lean towards some kind of fantasy magic bullet stuff. I do realize some ppl disagree with me on this but friendly fire should be an option for the server, and not something decided by developers if they want all of their player base to enjoy.

Suggested options for friendly fire:
    1.Friendly fire off for ppl in your friend list. (this should be friendly fire off with the current game)
    2.Play damage to player completely removed. (for complete PvP safety in PvE mode, no such thing in the game)
    3.Player damage to player is on at 100% rate. (this should be friendly fire on with the current game)

We are talking about major game mechanic changer here, not about adding/removing a block or a weapon or balance. You, as dev, should not really ask the question in a way you did. You should have just asked something like: "Do you want an option to completely remove player to player damage to potentially suit some of the PvE community needs?"
    Last edited by En_Dotter; 01-05-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorin73 View Post
    I'm one of the no voters.

I understand that some PvE servers may not want to have any player kills, but this might not be desired by all. I do play on PvE servers, but I do enjoy FF to be disabled. It's not because I wish to kill the other players, but because it adds a little risk if I am not cautious with my aim. Personally, I would prefer seeing the FF expanded to On, Friends Safe and Off. Let the server admins decide how they would like their worlds.
    There are no PVE servers as this isn't an option now killing players at all makes it PVP. I don't think you understand our current friendly fire it only protects freinds.

Tracker
    I agree, making changes like this don't matter. It's just an option, it doesn't change player experience. The real issue is other players accessible creative and debug options by changing their file. Anticheat is a joke and doesn't prevent this. Do a file check every so often to make sure the main game files of client and server are the same, or make the player download and use said files each time they connect. I'm sure you can come up with a way to stop cheaters, most of them. This is what needs done to greatly improve multiplayer. Admins shouldn't have to make servers private or watch the game 24/7 to ban people.

Reconstructionist
    Voted No here as well.

While our group run strictly PVE (friendly fire off) on our Dedicated servers, I still want the option to turn Friendly Fire On as a game option, if only to provide a little risk when people are not cautious with their aim (especially on horde nights). Not too concerned about griefers as the servers are password protected and we can rotate the password if needed.

In principle I like it because it would be a way to prevent total strangers from running up and killing you.
    And yes, the friends-only protection is redundant in most cases.

However, it would remove the ability to hold events like arena combat or dueling.
    That could be solved with a "Red Pill". If you eat it you get a buff that voids your protection and lets you attack other players who have also taken the pill.
    That would be useful in both PVE and PVP.

keeping on topic as should.. i vote yes to adding the pve/pvp. i wont play on a pvp server and thus because there are a lot of servers out there that claim to be pve friendly, they still allow some methods of pvp. i think pve should be just for that and pvp should be just for that and not mix the 2. most can and will argue that they want to play the game the way they want and that would be ok and expected... so play it on a server that is specifically rated for what it should be and no guessing therefore will be needed as to what style of playing is on that server.

I would vote Yes, however if we cant shoot friends, then people may start shooting first and asking questions later, as they cant hurt their friends.

Also it makes it so you have to be careful with aim and use better group tactics than spray everywhere.

If its a problem though I can understand, I'd be glad to have PvE and PvP settings...it would make finding a server less of a nightmare, if it showed up on the server browser.