View Poll Results: Has your minibike disappeared?

Voters
513. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never once lost a minibike.

72 14.04%
  • Yes. It has happened rarely.

169 32.94%
  • Yes it happens frequently.

207 40.35%
  • Yes. Every bike I make disappears

65 12.67%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Disappearing Minibikes: Your help needed

Yep, lost another bicycle during recording for a YT vid.... still happening. Left the chunk, came back, gone lol.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeighan View Post
    It seems that the most common occurrences of vehicles disappearing all deal with the same exact circumstance.
    • The dismounting of the vehicle is not occurring from a stopped position.

What I mean is - for those that are driving a minibike and lose connection and the bike is gone, it's either gone for good or back where the actual disconnect happened. Your player reappears where you last sync'd to the server, the bike exists where it last communicated with YOU. These two things are different values, hence the vehicle is behind you along your path SOMEWHERE in most cases.

For those that lose their vehicles after parking - I have as well - I've noticed that the commonality is MOST LIKELY dealing with how the vehicle is exited. The player will exit the vehicle the fastest way possible, which is the jump off / get out method. The vehicle immediately air breaks on their position, and they loot whatever object they stopped next to, start combat, etc.

The theory is, this method is at best hazardous, because if you've ever watched the vehicle, it has to reposition to your current position a few time before it settles. It's more then likely deciding where to write to the file. Worst case scenario, you jump off the vehicle, and lose connection. The vehicle during that point has nobody to register to or against, and becomes an abandoned object and probably just poofs out of existence. This is most often seen if a player is the ONLY player in an area of a map, and no other player is around that region to write their vehicle to the file.

IT seems to me that the BEST CHANCE to retain your vehicle is to do the following.
    1. Properly Stop your vehicle where it's to stay. Do not just Jump out, but come to a complete stop and then get out.
    2. Interact with your vehicle's inventory or repair it or gas it or hell... just go into that radial menu for a moment. (This should actually cause the vehicle to update it's variables to the file).
    3. Give it MAYBE 30 seconds minimum before you log out of 7 days (if that was your plan). That should be enough time to write to the file what it needed to.

The only OTHER other thing you can do to safeguard is always empty your vehicle out, store it's inventory in a box, and pick the vehicle up and into your inventory before you quit for the play session. And I find this option stupid, as what's the point in having garage doors if there's never a need for a garage. Oh yeah... and how exactly is a full sized Jeep fitting in my backpack all the time? (I hate that mechanic by the way... I think once they're built we shouldn't be able to pick them back up without disassembling them on the spot).

(Rereading what I've said... I apologize for how the post isn't as clean and concise as I'd normally deliver information).
    In some parts I think you maybe on to something. I looked over the logs when one of my players lost his minibike. There was a gap before and after that moment when the vehicle thing was written to... Please note that I have taught my players to fully stop when exiting the minibike from back when. I have had many reports of my players exiting the bike and going into a POI or even the traitor and coming back out and having their minibike gone. I don't doubt it maybe related to the sync issue you're talking about and I'll see about getting my group to actually interact with it before leaving it. One of my players just lost a bike the weekend before last and so I spawned one in for him. Just the other night it was where he parked it before he lost it at the traitor which is some distance away from their base. Can't even pretend to know how that happened!

Refugee
    Well Minibikes vanish usually if you let them stand around, move a few chunks away and come back. Only to find them vanished. The icon to it is still there until you are near the chunk. Then its usually disappears. I see a relation to bike spawns before the chunk has loaded, and fall through the world at that point because there is no world yet. Just tackle the Bike to the Players inventory to solve this... kind of a summon able horse if you think it that way.

Use spacebar for breaking. Also helps to prevent your bike rolling downhill.
    Up till now I never lost a vehicle (fingers crossed)

Ooh, so happy there's a thread for this! I'd parked my minibike (hand-built, no mods, survival mode) on some raised terrain next to my house (which was generated into the side of a small hill). I got the motorcycle unlock, so built one of those and took it on a trip across the map for a couple days to scout out towns, etc. My first and only base is in a squatter A-frame in the far SE corner of the map in a smidge of forest biome surrounded by snow.

After my trip, I came back and parked around the other side of my house, then proceeded to play a couple more real-life days on-and-off until one day... I was up around the back of my house moving my bicycle down to the lower parking area I'd just made, then wondered where my minibike had run off to. The bike symbol was on the compass, right where I'd left it, but no minibike. I dug down about ten blocks or so but didn't find anything. Forgot about the whole thing and wrote it off as a goner until tonight, when I was building a structure nearby and happened to look up at the sun (clear day).

There was a speck of something fixed in the sky, which I naturally thought to be a vulture, but it wasn't moving. I shot at it with my scoped rifle, nothing. I grabbed my 8x scoped rifle and tried to make out what it was but couldn't tell. So, I built 300 wood frames and box-jumped up until I hit the skybox limit and tried the scope one more time... Lo-and-behold, my minibike had ascended to heaven!! God be praised. Sitting right up there next to the sun with a curious black spot next to it. Tried shooting at it again with the hopes of knocking it back to earth but no dice, she's stuck captain.

See screenshots for details. Hope this helps y'all on your quest to fix this bug!

Bike located on the compass, but nowhere in sight

Scoped minibike sighting from 300 blocks up
    Last edited by PewP3r; 03-23-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Survivor
    I lost a bicycle yesterday while riding. All of a sudden I was displaced high up in the sky, jumping around a lot in a very glitchy manner. I even got the "on top of the world" achievement from the feat! I logged out and back in, and the bike was not there. I saw it in the compass, but when I followed the marker, there was nothing there. I suspected it might have been left hanging in the air, and for a brief moment I saw a static pixel high up, around the spot where the compass indicated. I wish there was some kind of sanity check to restore the bike on ground if it is located higher than the max height.

I was playing on a public server running without mods.

Refugee
    There are multiple threads of peeps indicating the specs in the sky above where their indicators are for the lost bikes/vehicles - I sure hope this helps as I find this really game-breaking! You go out to loot with your trusty vehicular aiding to carry all that sweet, sweet loot and BAM! all gone. Brings a tear to the eye.. well, maybe it's that splatter of blood that flew in my eye after sledging Zeds while scream "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!"

I have had both Bikes and 4X4 disappear AND reappear in 17.2. I haven't found a way to reproduce the bug reliably. Yesterday in my SP game the 4X4 was floating in the sky (see attached pic). Also, has anyone else noticed a duplication bug sometimes when you try to pick up a vehicle it puts one in your inventory but the original is still there on the ground? If not, I will start a new thread.Floating 4X4.jpg