Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Books and Perks

Discussion on Books and Perks

Quote Originally Posted by offsuit57 View Post
    Any chance that some of the books will be rolling into skills in 14, or is that on hold until NPC's?
    Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention loads of new perks. Yes the books haven't been removed yet, but you can unlock steel smithing ammo crafting and cement mixing with various perks.

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention loads of new perks. Yes the books haven't been removed yet, but you can unlock steel smithing ammo crafting and cement mixing with various perks.
    The ability to access recipes via the perks are cool, but only together with books , if you remove the books and replace them on perks that would be a mistake.

Survivor
    And please do not remove them!!
    Leave the players the choice to unlock an ability through a perk or by reading a book.

Scavenging to find important books, like steel and cement, is in one of the most exciting thing that you do in the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by stanislav View Post
    The ability to access recipes via the perks are cool, but only together with books , if you remove the books and replace them on perks that would be a mistake.
    May books add extra to skills? Unlock unicke recepis? Like steel Sledgehammer, auger, steel shover etc? But essenciuals imo is wrong (ammo, basic tools, meds), game will be a gambit then...

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemfive View Post
    Leave the players the choice to unlock an ability through a perk or by reading a book.

Scavenging to find important books, like steel and cement, is in one of the most exciting thing that you do in the beginning...
    I'm down with this; why not have both, perks AND books? Best of both worlds.

Has there been recent news on perhaps skill trees versus perks or in addition or is "perk" the term for skill trees?

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Hemfive View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    I'm down with this; why not have both, perks AND books? Best of both worlds.
    I concur; reading should be a requirement to learn new things.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    If it is what i am thinking when the time hits 21:59 the sky id still orange-ish. But when the music for night hits it instantly goes to night sky. I think unified sunset implies we will know better when night is approaching.

How about the ability to choose the theme when the sun sets? I'd go with Last Remaining Light for the blood moon night. Ok, maybe a bit long so...choose the sound clip!

Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- reading is fundamental!
    Last edited by h0tr0d; 01-21-2016 at 04:29 PM.

That is a great idea. I remember more than one game where I never found the forge tool to make shell casings. This will give people options.

Agree, and perks should be expensive, so You have to think if you invest your points into perk or You will search for a book.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    One side to having perks AND books is you'll have people like me, who won't spend any points on perks until I get some books, so I haven't wasted my points... If the perks could be used to open the tree (first 10 levels), and books give you the master class (remaining 10 levels) then you would not want to read a book because you wouldn't benefit from it. That would simulate having a book but not understanding it. In that scenario, books shouldn't magically disappear once read.

One side to having perks AND books is you'll have people like me, who won't spend any points on perks until I get some books, so I haven't wasted my points... If the perks could be used to open the tree (first 10 levels), and books give you the master class (remaining 10 levels) then you would not want to read a book because you wouldn't benefit from it. That would simulate having a book but not understanding it. In that scenario, books shouldn't magically disappear once read.
    Like it ^

I don't understand this. I thougt investing points on perks and reading a book would be the same, e.g. if I don't find the steel book after 20 days I will invest points on a perk.

Only if they bring back, marking what books we read!

This may be a pimp dream thing, but i feel it relates. Could one of the tweaks they make to give us a list of what we've read and not read? So i'm not saving pistol parts forgetting i havent found the book yet, that was last game where i found that lol

Quote Originally Posted by amazombie View Post
    Only if they bring back, marking what books we read!

This may be a pimp dream thing, but i feel it relates. Could one of the tweaks they make to give us a list of what we've read and not read? So i'm not saving pistol parts forgetting i havent found the book yet, that was last game where i found that lol
    I think this is just an oversight from implementing the new gui, along with not being able to scrap stuff from containers. I'm sure they will bring it back.

Don't know why this just hit me..

'If' the Books are going to be removed.. Whats the Motivation of going into the book store again? For just the schematics? Not a quip just trying to understand is all.

I'd just like to make a request: each cement mix requires a bucket of water...

I'm jesting, of course, please forgive my terrible sense of humour.

The new stuff looks cool. I'm still very much on the optimisation bandwagon, though not the hate train; it's not TFPs fault I have a potato that only just exceeds the minimum requirements to play the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Don't know why this just hit me..

'If' the Books are going to be removed.. Whats the Motivation of going into the book store again? For just the schematics? Not a quip just trying to understand is all.
    Books are being removed altogether? This is strange news indeed; do we learn new skills by magic? Yes, that must be it, perks are magic. All is well. seriously though, not hating; just trying to understand.