Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTH? Can I get some schooling on this game? [single player mode]

Refugee

WTH? Can I get some schooling on this game? [single player mode]

I can't seem to establish a sturdy enough base camp to even consider building a forge and all that good stuff. At one point I made my own cave underground, just to find that could sense me anyway. WTH? lol Can I get some tips on how to build an efficient base? Are there any places that I'm truly safe for a bit or was zombies being able to sense you deep underground on purpose?

Hello, and welcome!

If you are underground, you are fairly safe. AFAIK, zombies cannot dig down directly. Just because they can still sense you, you are not necessarily in danger. You will have to put up with a lot of zombie wheezing and groaning in your vicinity if you are only 5 or 10 meters below the surface.

It will probably be easier to learn most of what you need on Youtube. Find some lets play channels and watch the first 2 or 3 vids to get a sense of the most efficient ways to get established. Everyone has their own style, but there are ways to maximize the time you have each game day while staying safe(ish)...

Just be aware that as an Alpha, the game has been around a long time. Try to find some lets play vids that are relatively recent (last 3-4 months or so) because game mechanics have been overhauled several times. Also, keep in mind that this game is VERY easy to mod, so try to find a Youtuber that keeps mods to a minimum if you want a "true" representation of the game in it's current iteration.

Good night, and good luck.

Find a tutor. Ask someone on the forum to play with you, it's a good way to learn.

Reconstructionist
    I made this video series with the goal of trying to help newer players: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ncY9dZqLxmMw08

I made some mistakes (or at least things I'd do differently a second time around) but you might find it useful.

I'd also be happy to play a game with you if you want to add me on Steam.

Try turning off zombies and just focus on building a base and crafting using the forge. Once you feel comfortable with that process start over with zombies enabled. It is much easier to take over an existing building as your first base than it is to build one from scratch--especially in single player.

Inventor
    Having a tutor will help you greatly. In any case, it's ok to fiddle around a bit and learning with youtube, and so on.

An easy way to get a quick base is to "upgrade" an existing house and lay all around "wooden spikes" (2 to 3 rows). Wood is easy to get.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaded_wonder View Post
    Are there any places that I'm truly safe for a bit or was zombies being able to sense you deep underground on purpose?
    All good advice so far, but I just wanted to answer your question directly. One core tenet of the game is that on the night of each 7th day, there WILL be a horde of zombies and they WILL sense you no matter what. There are different strategies for staying safe, but avoiding detection is not one of them (at least in principle if not in practice).

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Balkoth View Post
    I made this video series with the goal of trying to help newer players: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ncY9dZqLxmMw08

I made some mistakes (or at least things I'd do differently a second time around) but you might find it useful.

I'd also be happy to play a game with you if you want to add me on Steam.
    Thanks ever so much for making and sharing those videos, they have helped tremendously with this game.
    I have only recently bought this and so 14.6 is my introduction to how the game mechanics play. I seemed to spend more time reading and watching than actual playing as my thoughts on what is important and required turns out to be dismally woeful when getting mashed by most other living or non living things in the world.

I tend to play the game like reruns of the film "Groundhog Day" and like the character Billy Murray plays I'm getting a little better each I wake up, or in my place respawn after being mashed for the zilllionth time.

Apart from the few crafting items that I am guided through I'm pretty much on my own, which is the most appealing part of the game and yet the most damning due to the frustrations felt.

Your videos go so way to bring some understanding to the fundamentals of gameplay needed to survive in the lonely (well at least up to 15 Alpha) and yet ruthlessly unforgiving world.

Colony Founder
    I can't seem to establish a sturdy enough base camp to even consider building a forge and all that good stuff. At one point I made my own cave underground, just to find that could sense me anyway. WTH? lol Can I get some tips on how to build an efficient base? Are there any places that I'm truly safe for a bit or was zombies being able to sense you deep underground on purpose?
    very simple :

1. Just dig a hole straight down. about 5 blocks
    -Make sure you have plenty of wood with you !
    2. put ladders on hole wall
    - You can not place ladders next to you so jump up placing (2) wood frames under your self to climb up to ladders
    3. Place hatch on top
    - This is the most important part !!!! Do NOT place the hatch on top of the ground. Leave the top block of the hole without ladders (or break them off) so hatch is one block below the surface. This way zombies can not attack it as thanks to the PoS Unity stock AI this game uses devs had to disable zombies downward attack (because the crappy AI detection system caused zombies to randomly start digging into the ground turning the whole map into Swiss cheese).
    - This make getting out of the hole and back on surface a little more difficult. If you climb up fast you bounce to surface. Or you can climb to top of the ladders and close the hatch and it pushes you up to top of it.

Now you are totally safe and can continue digging down.

4. Go to top and open map view. See your elevation and and make note of it.
    -It's something like +65m
    5. Now keep digging down until you are 35m below the surface.
    - open map to check it from time to time.
    - Zombie detection *MAX range is about 27 meters, so when you are
    6. Dig a tunnel few meters sideways from the hole and place a door on it.
    - Zeds sometimes glitch and see down the hole, so never make a room directly under the hole.
    - Also if zeds/enemy breaks the hatch and go down the hole they can only come at you one at time
    - Make your base far enough from the shaft (dig a ~10m tunnel from the hole) so the night horde which spawns above you (and jsut stands there) is not on top of the exit hole.
    People also use this as quick safe base to spent the night if cought outside at night fall. Just dig straight down 4 blocks and place wood frame above you and you are totally safe. At down pick up the frame and climb up using frames (or dig out).
    Last edited by Mike06; 06-13-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Survivor
    Use an existing building, preferable one near where two biomes meet. (ie woods and desert) Remove all doors and windows and replace with wood or cobblestone. On the upstairs floor, cut a hole in the wall for an exit. (preferably another hole on opposite end, you should always have two exits), and use wooden frames that you pick up to leave or enter your "home". Survive your first 7 day on the roof. Put out torches to help you see, mining helmets are great. If there are any "straight up" walls to the roof, that a spider zombie can crawl up, put out wooden ramps to create a barrier. Gas stations are great by the way, they are pretty much spider zombie proof. Before the 7 day horde, stock up on wood, and food and water. (and stone and clay)

Oh yeah, stock up on beer, so when you fall off your roof during the horde, you can drink beer and run forest run until 4am. Occasionally go downstairs and reinforce any areas that zombie might be breaking through. You can actually survive until dawn just reinforcing walls if you want, but that's just boring. Any stairs or ladders going upstairs, break so in case zombies do get in, they can't get upstairs. (again use wooden frames to get up and down)

If you pretty much surround your house with a miniumum 3 rows of wooden spikes you can make it through first horde easily.

Gear to have on hand all the time: splint, first aid bandage or med pack, antibiotics or honey, and wooden frames to get you up high somewhere when the dogs surprise you. (use them to climb on a building roof or at least a few levels up the side of a building)
    Last edited by ChickenWings; 06-14-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Deleted post
    Last edited by mdf25; 06-17-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Original post being ripped apart, users thinking I was forcing my opinion on newcomers, etc.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by mdf25 View Post
    Turn your day length to 120 minutes and daylight length to 18 hours. This slows the game pace but gives you plenty of opportunities to explore and get things done.
    100% disagree. Time is your enemy in this game. That's literally 90 minutes of daylight per day compared to the default of 33.3 -- nearly triple the amount.

If you start in the burnt forest, wasteland, or snow biomes, get out of there as quick as you can. The conditions here are much more harsh to live in. You will want to situate yourself in the forest, plains or desert, preferably the forest where wood is plentiful.
    Temperate Forest, Burnt Forest, Wasteland, or Pine Forest are ideal for mining. Ideally you want to be on the border of two (or more) biomes.

You'll want to try to keep 250 on you as much as possible in case of zombies coming for you (there are wandering hordes).
    100% disagree. 250 arrows is massive overkill -- better to save those feathers for Iron Arrows at a minimum. And you can dodge the wandering hordes.

You need hides and meat for your hunger
    What do hides have to do with hunger?

and were lucky enough to find a couple of short iron pipes (check junk for these)
    Toilets are a guaranteed source of Short Iron Pipes, those should be your goal.

If all goes well, you will have a forge by day 2.
    You should have a forge Day 2 on a NORMAL time frame -- with your time frame that's more like Day 5-6.

Day 3: Get out into the world and find a town.
    No. What's the point? Steel/Concrete are unlocked via perks. And you should ideally have Steel by Day 3-4 on normal time. The time it takes to find a Wrench (or Wrench/Claw Hammer schematic) doesn't compensate for the time saved upgrading for a long time.

You can spend all day mining, so keep an eye on the time.
    Or, better yet, mine at night.

The dogs can vary, sometimes there are only 2-3, other times you may get unlucky and have 10-15 on you.
    It's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of the week. Day 5 has less dogs than Day 40.

Day 6: Prepare your defenses. Upgrade all your bottom floor walls as much as you can to stop zombies getting in. Add a second layer of wood log spikes and upgrade them as much as possible.
    Or, better yet, add multiple layers of the cheap Wood Spikes. Higher DPS and much cheaper.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Cheap day 1 base.

Find flat land. Must be flat.

Dig hole, say 55 and no less than 5 down. Put frames for a roof at ground level. Live.

The idea is that the top of your frame roof is even with the ground, so when they come, and because they don't dig down, they just stand on top of you. When day break hits most will wander off, the horde won't be set to spawn any new zombies, so you take a frame away, let one drop, replace the frame, kill the zombie then repeat.
    Last edited by Guppycur; 06-15-2016 at 06:35 PM.

100% disagree.
    Just the way I like to play. Nobody says the OP has to follow If you like regular days, and doing things a certain way, do it your way dude. Appears to me you are quite clearly a pro, I am not.

250 arrows is massive overkill
    You probably have the aim of William Tell. I do not, so for me I like to keep a good stock of them on me. My accuracy isn't that great.

What do hides have to do with hunger?
    I have edited this part, just so it's clear. Don't want more grammar nazis on my butt

Toilets are a guaranteed source of Short Iron Pipes, those should be your goal.
    True - but you need a wrench first to dismantle the toilets. And like you said:
    The time it takes to find a Wrench[...]
    I usually find short iron pipes in junk before I've even hit a toilet. Maybe that's just me though

No. What's the point?
    Toilets for your short pipes, lots of them in towns... But you can get some good loot from towns and the stores. You could even find a building to make your base, if your first POI was not adequate, and then you'd be in a good position to do more loot runs easily until you get your minibike.

It's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of the week. Day 5 has less dogs than Day 40.
    Not necessarily true as far as I can tell from the XML - it appears that it wraps every 21 days now I have a closer look at it. So dogs on week 4 will be the same as week 1. So while you are right about day 40 having more than day 5, on day 47 you will have about the same as day 5 again.

Or, better yet, add multiple layers of the cheap Wood Spikes. Higher DPS and much cheaper.
    This is true especially if you are short on iron. The wood ones break a lot easier though, so if the zombies gang up on you from one side of your base, they will chew through them, even with 5-6 layers around. I prefer the log spikes, as they don't break quite so easily and once you have a mine, iron is pretty easy to get in large amounts, so you'll have enough to repair them.
    Last edited by mdf25; 06-16-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Survivor
    I have enjoyed reading this thread as being new to the game I have found it quite overwhelming to play. I am on day 8 in my game.

The base that I have established is in a forest type area of the map, lots of trees.

Is mining more luck than anything else in finding iron etc by digging rather than mashing rocks on the surface.?
    It seems that having dug down to rock all that I get is 2 iron from 500 rock.

I am glad of the crossbow but wow those Zombies go through spikes like butter.

Btw I too need lots of arrows and bolts as getting an head shot on those coke head Zombies is not easy.!
    Last edited by Dibbler; 06-16-2016 at 10:05 AM.