Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: [XBOX and PS4] Overheating thread

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkphnix View Post
    Yeah. Grass clothes if i recall have a high insulation value. I only ever wore them once and overheated way to much. Better to run around half naked. Idk once you start seriously overheating it can be tricky to bring your temp down. It doesnt drop quickly so generally you need to quit what your doing and find shade or water or try cooling drinks, etc and just sit there. Ive also noticed mining helmets can over heat you quickly as well. I think their insulation value is fairly high too. At some point they need to look at the mechanics around this i suppose but i can see this being complicated. Wondering if they should have just turned it off. That said, once you've played the game long enough you find ways to deal with it.
    I saw there was an update so I chose to try the game again after months of not playing due to losing all of my stuff.
    Twice.
    Now, I am having an issue where if I am in a colder area, I get hypothermia almost instantly. It seems as though some armor does nothing to help keep me warm and that is a pain. I moved for roughly twenty seconds after leaving a house and I suddenly got cold. It wasnt a minute after leaving the house that I had hypothermia. I had to build three fires around me just to get me up to 50. I get my wood, leave and thirty seconds later, hypothermia again. I jump, swing axes, nothing. One fire isnt enough. I have to have two or three. I wouldn't know if I would overheat as the game spawns me in a colder biome, where it rains or snows 99% of the time, and cloth armor is basically like making a blanket out of the snow. I can't get anywhere. I try to leave and get hypothermia.
    Also, as others have stated, I can't see. Fog would be cool every now and then but not all day and night, especially not with snow.
    Yes I turned the gamma up and that just made it lame cause it always looked daylight.
    Its more unplayable now than it was. I can't even leave a house for longer than five minutes without having a temperature issue and dying. I cant go explore. I can't loot. I can barely chop trees for wood for my campfire.

Community Moderator MutilatorJuice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FredFuchs View Post
    I saw there was an update so I chose to try the game again after months of not playing due to losing all of my stuff.
    Twice.
    Now, I am having an issue where if I am in a colder area, I get hypothermia almost instantly. It seems as though some armor does nothing to help keep me warm and that is a pain. I moved for roughly twenty seconds after leaving a house and I suddenly got cold. It wasnt a minute after leaving the house that I had hypothermia. I had to build three fires around me just to get me up to 50. I get my wood, leave and thirty seconds later, hypothermia again. I jump, swing axes, nothing. One fire isnt enough. I have to have two or three. I wouldn't know if I would overheat as the game spawns me in a colder biome, where it rains or snows 99% of the time, and cloth armor is basically like making a blanket out of the snow. I can't get anywhere. I try to leave and get hypothermia.
    Also, as others have stated, I can't see. Fog would be cool every now and then but not all day and night, especially not with snow.
    Yes I turned the gamma up and that just made it lame cause it always looked daylight.
    Its more unplayable now than it was. I can't even leave a house for longer than five minutes without having a temperature issue and dying. I cant go explore. I can't loot. I can barely chop trees for wood for my campfire.
    Then move away from the snow biome until you have proper clothing!!! There's no biome big enough that you can't run through it in 5 min. Geez, I swear. Also, multiple campfires do not stack the heating effect. That's misinformation
    Last edited by MutilatorJuice; 07-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.

Also, armour doesn't raise or lower body temp now, clothes do, try to find a puffer coat +40 or leather jacket +30. Don't forget to press Y or triangle to check the stats of other clothes, I only mentioned coats as they give the most gains

To cool down use a leather poncho -20, tank top -10 and shorts -5 or -10 can't remember which. Alternating between the leather jacket and poncho keeps me good and I'm based in the desert which is, as expected, hot during the day and cold at night.
    Last edited by Rabbitt192124; 07-21-2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: adding cool down

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitt192124 View Post
    Also, armour doesn't raise or lower body temp now, clothes do, try to find a puffer coat +40 or leather jacket +30. Don't forget to press Y or triangle to check the stats of other clothes, I only mentioned coats as they give the most gains

To cool down use a leather poncho -20, tank top -10 and shorts -5 or -10 can't remember which. Alternating between the leather jacket and poncho keeps me good and I'm based in the desert which is, as expected, hot during the day and cold at night.
    Mostly true on the armor... leather still has a +1 per piece. Just letting you know. Personally, I want some armor with spikes so that I can hang the dog carcasses off it to show the others what happens when they screw with me.... well, when I'm on the minibike anyway *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNGraves View Post
    Mostly true on the armor... leather still has a +1 per piece. Just letting you know. Personally, I want some armor with spikes so that I can hang the dog carcasses off it to show the others what happens when they screw with me.... well, when I'm on the minibike anyway *cough*
    Cool, I didn't notice the leather armour, I usually run and hide until I at least get scrap armour lol. The armour with spikes sounds cool, dangling the heads of roadkill dogs, if only rotten flesh didn't make you ill

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    So over heating is part of the game BUT overheating to the point where it makes game play almost impossible is not.

I'm here to establish a baseline for you guys so we can figure out what is happening and how any values might need to be changed.

Every Biome has a different temp, as well as the higher you are and the lower you are, mountains and valleys basically, like the real world.

Here are examples on how to control your Temp...

* Wearing clothing that has a negative insulation value will cool down the player and is desirable for hot weather survival. F.E. the cowboy hats, plant fiber hats and all bandannas keep the player cooler in the desert.

* Wearing clothing that has a positive insulation value will warm the player and is desirable for cold weather survival.

* Getting wet by moving through lakes, rain, or snow will make the player wet and colder when he's cold and cool the player down when he's hot.

* Activity that uses stamina, like running or swinging a pickaxe, will warm up the player.

* Standing near a campfire or forge that is burning will warm up the player.

* All clothing will have a waterproof % capping how wet the player can get.

* Going indoors will warm you when you're cold and cool you when you are hot.

* Exposure to direct sunlight will warm, and shade will cool, the player.

* Some foods and drinks have temporary core temp warming or cooling properties. F.E. drinking coffee warms you while water and goldenrod tea will cool you.

* Wind speed can also cool the player down and will be seen in the new map screen under map stats.

Now, with this all being said, a lot of people are having issues with overheating anyway. So, screenshots at the ready if you can, I need all the details of your over heating, what does work (even if only a little) and what doesn't. Cold biomes seem to be where it is most obvious, but I want to see what all of ye are experiencing so I can report it to the teams. It may be the case that some values need to be fiddled with etc.

Also how long does it take you to overheat? as actions can cause this, but if you're jumping in degrees in the snow because you picked up a rock or crafted an axe, we probably have an issue.

So let me know whats up with your characters. Oh also, is it character specific? are you finding it with certain characters more than others? etc.

Thanks all for you time,
    Clare

IRL when it's 100 outside, you'll feel it, even if naked, in fact that would likely be worse depending on the climate. An improvement on the mechanic should be that temp is proportional to hydration, and the thirst increase accelerates as temp increases. Food (electrolyte levels) should also be a a factor too. Drink 5 gals of water, and you'll experience hypernatremia. Additionally, tie this metric time in the biome (acclimatization), and athletics level (which also greatly affects ability to cope with extreme temps). Soldiers can spend 16 hours a day kicking doors down in 130F heat wearing 60+ lb of gear and fully covered clothing, and survive with drinking 1 qt of water an hour. I'm sure my character crouched in a cave should be just fine.

Refugee

Character menu while overheating bug

I am on PS4 and have confirmed that the game crashes anytime the character menu is accessed while overheating. Doesn't matter what clothes i'm wearing, location, or any other factors. Tested numerous times to be sure and yes, crashed every time.

Refugee
    I noticed I also overheat underground or like in an underground base also

Scavenger
    I've been naked for weeks in game. that's simply the only way to survive unless i plan on going through a snow biome, then i'll load up on some clothing like a normal living person...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjuggalo31 View Post
    I am on PS4 and have confirmed that the game crashes anytime the character menu is accessed while overheating. Doesn't matter what clothes i'm wearing, location, or any other factors. Tested numerous times to be sure and yes, crashed every time.
    Ninjuggalo31 You should probably redirect this to a new thread since it IS related but you're talking about a crash which has a seperate place in these forums. Their team will look into this sooner if you put it in the right place. Food for thought