Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for new players

Colony Founder

Tips for new players

I know that for a lot of who are new to the game we have a lot to learn of how to do things, or even what not to do.

Reading the posts and doing some searching, I find tips that are spread out.
    Watching youtube videos I find conflicting information. I hope it is okay to start this thread and it is in the right place. Could the mods move it if it isn't?

I have been writing down in a notebook tips to help me. I am new to sandbox games, take medication that affects my memory and am over 60, so have a lot to learn and keep forgetting what I have learned.

I am going to list the tips that I have found, watched on videos and from my son (who is playing on console) that I hope will be helpful. None are ones that I have learned myself, but gathered from experienced players, so thanks to all of the players here and the ones who have made videos that have given me assistance. I will add more as I learn them from others.

Adding this at the top. These tips for alpha 14.8. When Alpha 15 is released, I don't know what will change so be prepared for some of these tips to maybe not work. Trail and error time then.

Tips:

Adding this so if any one who hasn't read this will know early on about spamming on axes and other tools. If you are on a server and you make them and drop them it can cause lagging. It would be best to make a secure chest and put them in it and then destroy it, or place then in a chest and put it on a frame and then destroy the frame, which destroys what was in it.

When searching for loot, take everything in the cabinets, toilets (yes, even the turds) and what you don't want or need toss them. Leaving something in those coolers, trash bags and the rest keeps them from respawning.

Do not put items you don't want into those containers. If you are making 25, 50 or however many stone axes, shovels or whatever drop them on the ground. Putting them in coolers, cars just keeps them from respawning.

When you find empty cans, if you have some glass jars, scrap them, you can use the metal later on. Even if slightly hungry and you need space, eat the canned food, even dog or cat food. Scraps the cans.

If you are near the desert, or where there are cactus plants, chop them down or pick up the small greenish/gray ones. They look like the brighter aloe plants, but are yucca plants both will give yucca fruit and the fruit from the larger ones can be used to make juice. It helps with hydration and cools you down if you are overheating. ** On console the yucca plants are tall stalks, think Halloween decorative cornstalks, but yellowish/green. ***corrected by Felio (thank you) that the smaller plants, yucca, are what is used to make juice and the tall cactus has the fruit.

Compare clothes, I watched one youtube video where the player took the clothes he found and scrapped them. Compare them to what you are wearing. Look at the stats, are they warmer/cooler, help protect more, more durable? Pick the best one. That goes for miners helmets, shades, anything, even gun parts. Compare and keep two or three of the best ones. Scrap the rest.

Everyone needs feathers. When traveling and looking for nests, don't go in a straight line, do some zig zagging. You will find more, have watched my son go in straight line for a bit, then had to double back and as he zig zagged to avoid a bear or zombies he was finding nests.

If you are near the army base, there are lots and lots of nests. He was playing earlier and as he was making a circle around the base picking up the land mines he was finding one near almost all of the land mines. This was the Army camp in the snow biome and he found very little of value inside the base, but the mines and nests made the trip worthwhile.

If you are near the Ski Lodge in the snow biome and need leather, the couches are leather (as are the seats in the theater) and worth getting. He found lots of goodies and also lots of zombies, the lumberjack ones mainly.

In stores go behind counters and check them out, you will probably find a body there and maybe other loot. On the roof you will find nests sometimes behind the tubing that runs from the air conditions.

Keep some stones, fiber and wood in your inventory. If you are using your axe to break into a building, or even cut down a tree or stone and need to make another one, if you don't have stone you will be using your fist to get more. If a zombie attacks you it can be of help if you don't have a club, beside taking longer to create your axe. It doesn't hurt to keep five or six stone and wood. Make an extra one to have handy when you break one; use it to create a couple (or three) of new ones as they will be better ones. Same with a bow, make two so if you breaks you have the extra and make two new ones and toss the other as the new one will be better. You don't want to break your bow when needing it and have to wait to make another one.

I thought a axe would do better than a club when fighting a zombie, but when my son showed me the stats, the club was better, so keep two in your backpack. ** This was on his console, could be different on PC so someone can add to that if they know.

That is all I have right now, I am sure I will remember more later on, or learn them as I watch more videos. Played some today and had fun. Can't play for long but do enjoy it when I can do so.

** this was added as I learned or not sure of in difference of PC and console. Will note in further posts if it is different from one or the other.

Please, please, other players jump in and give your two cents and correct where I am wrong. Clarify where it is needed.

Someone mentioned that the tutorial needs to have about making a storage chest. I agree. At the start the tutorial states to make axe and other items. I has to make wood frames and a campfire. Make the frames long enough to place the bedroll, campfire and also a storage chest. You can add a axe, bow, club and a few extra pieces of wood and stone. If you die you will respawn there and will have weapons ready for you.

Want to add this as it is really the most important. Learn not only from the tips here, but from trial and error, experience. That is the fun of playing this game. Yes, some of the tips will help you survive the first few days, but don't depend on tips, do the trail and error also. Ask questions here and on the General Discussion thread and someone will give an answer, just be patient in waiting for it.

ADDED: I am holding off on adding anything due to the experimental alpha 15. I have no idea of when the experimental phase will be over, or how the new levels work, but when it is finished I will check out and make a thread with the same tips that fit alpha 14 and 15 and add any new tips for alpha 15.
    Read these tips while you still play alpha 14.7.
    Last edited by Janna3921; 09-21-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: clarified for PC and console

Ranger
    Yucca plants you pick up only give yucca plants, which you can turn into juice with a glass bottle. Drinking it hydrates you and gives you a buff to cool you down.

Yucca fruit comes from chopping down cactuses. This is your main source of food in the desert. There are also rabbits but not many.

Colony Founder
    Got it backwards then. I was thinking the fruit came from the small plants and the large ones gave the fruit for juice. Thanks for the correction.

My son was in the desert and would travel away to get the pigs and deer. He was able to get some chickens in the desert, but not many. Had mainly the yucca fruit and eggs for food. And what he scavenged in the town of Perishton.

Ranger
    Oh yeah, eggs. You need a cooking pot for that though, which is not easy to get early on. I did find one at the gas station in the desert in Navezgane. But it's either random loot or you build a forge.

The other desert tip I would add is to make a hat from plant fibers and a bandana from any cloth fragments you can get your hands on. Otherwise running around in your underwear is the only way to avoid heat stroke. I know the tutorial says to make a hood, but after finishing the quest just drop it for a hat.

Colony Founder
    Decided to add this separate, don't want to make the first one too, too long.

Storage chests, besides making one at the start in your base, when you go to explore and loot make one part of the way there to store what you find as you travel. Example, the Pop-n-Pill drug store is close to where my new base it. I was searching the cars, trash bags and whatever I found as I traveled there. Close to the store I build right on the road a storage chest to place the items I collected. That gave me room to add what I found at the store so I didn't have to toss items I wanted. After I had returned to the base and unloaded I went back for the items in the chest. Since it takes a while for the store items to respawn I don't have to worry I can do more looking around, find items and if more than what I have room for leave in the storage chest to pick up later on.

Hopefully more experienced players will read this and add some more tips for us new players or correct me where I am wrong.

Colony Founder
    That is an area the tutorial is weak in. It doesn't take into account what biome you are in. You are better off with the cowboy hat, bandana, and sleeveless shirt and maybe even no pants when in desert but need pants, warm shirt and hood, boots and gloves when in the snow biome. In the snow biome I think he found a cooking pot in the ski lodge. It has a lot of great loot there.

Colony Founder
    Tried to do some replies as bumps, but for some reason it just added it to this. *Sigh* will have to find out how to do it. Strange

Difference in PC/Console. The cactus and yucca plants. In PC the yucca plants are small geenish/gray color and in console they are tall plants. Made me think of corn stalks that are tied up for displaying at Halloween if that helps to identify them except green/yellow.

I have read and seen on youtube that making large numbers of stone axes,, shovels or other items can increase skills. It seems, from my son testing it, that it doesn't help in the console. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

The red zone on the border of the wasteland. Was watching a youtube yesterday and the player, who plays (PC) mainly on the random gen didn't realize that the grey-greenish area was the red/hot zone. I found out the hard way when I had my first base close by and walked into it early morning, dawnish, very little sunlight. Being an old lady my eyesight isn't the best and so I didn't see the difference in color. Started to see blood and stood there like a idiot looking for what hit me. Died. Actually respawned in practically the same spot and so died again. Being new, I hadn't realized I needed to put a bedroll down. Fortunately I respawned close by and was able to get back to my backpack, quick dash in let me get my stuff back. Basically if you are like me and don't pay attention to what is on your screen that pops up, stay out of that area. I moved to the desert.

Us newbies need to stay out of the towns, not ready for the zombies. But, you will need metal and electrical wiring. The Cell Tower has quite a lot in the very large metal section where the tower is. I can't guarantee that it is the same in PC, but I would think so; it is full of electrical wiring, springs and metal that will be needed. Watching my son play just a bit ago and he was surprised by it all, though it was just vents or like the dumpsters. He also found a small engine in the car there. Doesn't guarantee that it will always be there but worth checking out.

That is also a good area to start a base. He spawned in another area but headed toward it. On top of a hill close the river he built a room two by four and then dug down five blocks. Then he went collecting flowers, cotton, and after making his axe and clothes went collecting stone and tree. Hid there that night and then started his base. He has built it for his forge, cement mixer and storage and will build up the building to stand on and fight the zombies. You have the cotton and red flowers, water close by from the river, there lots of deer running around and some pigs, a nice amount of nests and close to the farm so he can get corn and loot the barns and houses close by.

Watched a video yesterday, the player showed some great spots to find loot. I don't know the locations of some of the houses, but one did have water in the basement. Cut the tree down in the front yard and under the tree dig down and you will find I think a safe.

I'll add more as I learn them, find them by playing or read them here.

Remembered something

When searching building, whether homes or other, don't waste energy or your axe or other items on breaking down a metal door until you have check to see if there is a window. I watched a video of a player who was standing near a broken window as he was beating on the metal door to get into a building. That is wear and tear on the axe and on the player when you can simply break out the window, which will also slow down the zombies as they won't now have an open door to go through.

If you are breaking into a safe and zombies show up, try to stand on top of the safe, as they try to hit you they will also be hitting the safe and it seems they were damaging the safe in the process. You can then hit them in safety. This was on a video for PC. On console my son likes to jump from one shelf to another as the zombies chase him. He can wack one, jump to another shelf and wack another, then jump back. Or be at one end and wack the zombie move down a few steps on the shelf and that lets you regain some stamina while you wait for the zombies to come after you.
    Last edited by Janna3921; 08-09-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Colony Founder
    This from a post from Balkoth in thread created by Mr_PeaCH in general discussion thread Has some great info; am putting it here with his permission.

Cobblestone was quite useful in A13 when it had 3000. It's been severely nerfed to be only be 1500 HP in A14. Yeah, it costs a few less materials in A14 (10 Clay and 10 Stone rather than 16 Clay and 16 Stone, plus the 5 Wood and 1 Plant Fiber for the frame in both cases) but the resulting block is too weak to be of real use. I mean, look at the comparison between it and Reinforced Concrete:

16 Stone, 16 Clay, 5 Wood, 1 Plant Fiber = 1500 HP

30 Stone, 10 Sand, 10 Wood, 1 Iron, 0.2 Clay = 9000 HP

If you're thinking "Man, how do I get Sand if I'm not near a desert or a lake with sandy shores?"

Answer #1: Gravel. It can be found on the edge of paved roads or you can find the "small roads" made entirely of Gravel. Gravel is something like 8 Stone and 7 Sand for 100 HP. Dig it up with a Shovel.

Answer #2: Wastelands. The "rock" in the Wasteland gives 11 Stone and 4 Sand for 100 HP. Probably want to use a tool good vs Stone initially but later on can one shot it with a Steel Shovel.

Answer #3: Cement Mixer. Can grind Stone into Sand.

Brick...used to be good in A13. Was a way to make the 3000 HP Cobblestone more easily (no Plant Fibers or Wood needed -- and saved 2 Clay/6 Stone) if you had a Forge. Now it's a better cheap building material than Cobblestone (like 4 Clay for 1200 HP rather than 10 Stone/10 Clay/5 Wood/1 Plant Fiber for 1500 HP) but you're still better off going for Concrete.

Advice I would give in general...

1, you only get XP for natural skill ups. All those zombie kills give you zero XP.

2, schematics are a trap. If you read them solely for the skill increase, you lose potential XP. This is especially bad if you do so at a high skill level. You ideally want to read schematics at low skill level (less XP lost) or at max skill level (no XP lost).

3, XP is really important. Your odds of finding a 301+ quality item are apparently 1% until you hit level 97 (Quality Joe/Scavenging adds to that number, so read it as 451+ quality item if you have both maxed). Then you have a 38% chance to find a 301+ quality item. Kind of a massive difference. This is based on the loot.xml file. The file also seems to indicate that you have a better chance of finding books/rare items at higher levels too (with one breakpoint at level 101, so good number to shoot for). If that level 101 number seems daunting then it might relieve you to know that you can easily hit that level by the end of week 2 if you try. Miscellaneous Crafting (spam stuff like Wood Frames, Concrete Mix, Wood Log Spikes, etc), Weapon Smithing (spam Wooden Clubs, Arrowheads with the Forge open, completed arrows, etc), Tool Smithing (spam Stone Shovels or Anvils with the Forge open), Gunsmithing (spam Gunpowder), and Construction Tools (build your own base or just keep placing Wood Frames on the ground and upgrading them for the sole purpose of getting skill) are some of the easiest to level (and thus easiest to earn XP from). If you have a Desert available and the Gas Can schematic then you can level Science from 0 to 100 very quickly by making Gas with the Campfire open. If you're wondering, the next breakpoint after 97 is 129, which is *much* harder to hit and rather painful.

4, Iron Bars are excellent for making a "lip" to stop Spider Zombies. They not only act as a lip but also allow you to shoot down at the zombie horde.

5, get to Concrete ASAP. Steel is also a massive game-changer. I'm not sure what the "best" method of early base building is but I see four main options. A, build a Forge in a PoI initially and mass upgrade Wood Frames someplace else to get to 20 Construction tools. Then use Rebar Frames to build your actual base after that. B, build a temporary Wood fort with a Forge initially. Then use Rebar Frames to build your actual base after that. C, build a temporary Cobblestone fort with a Forge initially. Then use Rebar Frames to build your actual base after that. D, build your fort with Cobblestone and then upgrade to Reinforced Concrete. Catch is you need more Concrete Mix overall (twice as much, in fact) but you save some time in a few ways such as not needing to place Rebar Frames.

6, line up your shots. Headshots do massive damage and ammunition is likely to be an issue. Make the shots count -- the zombies are slow.

7, mining is insanely lucrative. Burrow into the ground in non-Desert/non-Plains/non-Snow and you'll find Coal, Nitrate, Iron, and Lead. Desert is useful for Oil Shale but that's later in the game and much less important early on. You will go from struggling to find Iron to overflowing in it. And have tons of materials to raise Gunsmithing (mass craft Gunpowder -- you'll use it eventually).

8, Quicker Crafting/Miner 69er/Run Forest Run are extremely powerful. Quicker crafting leads to faster everything including leveling which kind of builds on itself. Miner 69er lets you eventually one-shot Stone and speeds up harvesting massively. Run Forest Run lets you run extreme distances and saves a lot of travel time.

Will probably add more later.
    Last edited by Balkoth; 05-06-2016 at 04:32 AM.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Janna3921 View Post
    When you find empty cans, if you have some glass jars, scrap them, you can use the metal later on. Even if slightly hungry and you need space, eat the canned food, even dog or cat food. Scraps the cans.
    Only if you have a cooking pot or access to yucca plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Felio View Post
    Oh yeah, eggs. You need a cooking pot for that though, which is not easy to get early on.
    lol, yeah it is. I get sick of finding cooking pots. If the RNG would give me calipers instead, that would be great. In about a hundred hours of playing, I've only found two sets of calipers. Paper is worth more to me than brass.

Also, you should really save those eggs for a proper meal. They're not so good on their own. And always wash down your bacon and eggs with some goldenrod tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Janna3921 View Post
    2, schematics are a trap. If you read them solely for the skill increase, you lose potential XP. This is especially bad if you do so at a high skill level. You ideally want to read schematics at low skill level (less XP lost) or at max skill level (no XP lost).
    Better to save known schematics for a friend or just scrap them for paper. If you can't find calipers, you'll need all the paper you can get.

Survivor
    Always hunt while crouched. With a sneak attack, you can take down your kill in one shot.

Save your first 20 animal hides to make a bellows. You need this to make a forge.

If you're lucky enough to find a wrench, dismantle all the toilets, ovens, and refrigerators you find. This will give you pipes (also needed to make a forge), cable, and scrap metal. Don't wrench up the cars until your scavenging skill is at least halfway decent.

Colony Founder
    Starting another list. Just have a few right now, but will add as I find more.

Noise and smell -- they attract zombies, this is my suggestion but if you are able to kill some animals and there is a cooler or car nearby, put the meat in there. You can make some frames and place a stack of them so you will know where you stored them. If you carry the meat with you that is a calling card for the zombies to come and eat you.
    In the area of noise, beside the chopping of of trees and rocks, busting down walls, doors and anything else in that requires you to use your axe, guns are a great way for zombies to find you.
    Watch a video of a player who was out chopping wood, it was at night time and he ran out of wood. Okay, understandable, he was trying to keep zombies out. Problem -- it attracted zombies. Next mistake, and this was a huge one in my opinion, he had a blunderbuss gun.

He had a blast blasting them away, but was going why are there so many, why do they keep coming. He was able to run in circles and just keep out of their reach until morning, when they quit running and he could take with out with his crossbow, but he didn't seem to realize that shooting his gun was attracting more zombies.
    If you are going to shoot your gun, it is night time, be prepared to be attacked as if it is horde night. He is an experienced player, but plays mainly in the RGW and just didn't expect so many zombies to show up.

Pay attention to your temperature, I was in the desert and overheating. Realized that I needed to find a way to cool off and quick. Fortunately, my son walked by and told me to head to the pond and get in the water, it would cool me down. And for heaven's sake, drink some yucca juice!

Okay, will add more as I find them here, in videos, from what my son learns and hopefully what I learn from playing.

Refugee

Overheating?

Wear Iron or Scrap armor and it will cool you right down. I wear it all the time and bring a puffer coat if I get cold.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryDeath View Post
    Wear Iron or Scrap armor and it will cool you right down. I wear it all the time and bring a puffer coat if I get cold.
    For Console players, there seems to be a glitch in the area of clothing. Wearing anything other than plant fibers can cause overheating. My son has tried cloth, some armor and overheated to level 1. He has to stay near water to cool off to keep from heatstroke.

Hopefully that will be fixed soon, I know that the devs are working on it.

Supposedly they fixed the overheating thing in the last patch. Has your son installed patch 2? 1.03 I think it is. They may have got the excessive biome overheating fixed but not clothing. I bout always have cowboy hat, bandana, and sunglasses on if I can find em and plant fiber clothes in forest biome I believe it is and don't have too bad of problems with overheating. Unless I do a lot without stopping. Sometimes at night, I am on a rooftop of working stiffs, I have to take off some of the cooling clothes to get warm.

Colony Founder
    My son has the latest patch, I think it got worse with the last one. In the area of overheating, he gets hot everywhere except in the snow biome and there he was warm all the time. Overheats bad in the dessert. He likes his shades, bandana and the fiber clothes. Checked in console and they seem to still be working on it. I am sure they will get it fixed as soon as they can.

Was going to post some new tips I found, but was checking out a thread on Repairs vs crafting new and there was some good advice from Buligo. The person who created the repair vs craft thread is Eddyjr2008. I suggest you check it out as it has some good tips also.

Anyhow, one that I see as helpful is that when you need sand just dig up the secondary roads, they look like dirt paths. They are made of sand.

Most important, I think, is to not leave anything in the containers. If you don't remove it all, just drop on the ground/floor what you don't want then the containers will not respawn. My son says in console it is just that container. But in some of the videos I have watched, they state that it is in all containers; such as don't remove the turds and there will be no respawning in the house.
    Hopefully someone will help to clear that up.
    Last edited by Janna3921; 08-19-2016 at 04:17 AM.