Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for new players

1. A tip for those power-levellers: I believe the best item to spam-craft is the stone showel. A bit more expensive resources-wise but seems to give more xp than the stone axe (verification needed). And, since it is so annoying to remove all those showels from your inventory, just craft some Secure storage chests (10 wood). Put one on the ground, open it and with Shift+click quickly unload all your stone showels cluttering your inventory. Once the chest is full destroy it with your axe. The content will scatter and will despawn shortly. Done. Repeat Works well while gardening too.
    2. Building levelling: buld a tower of wooden frames, as high as you can without moving, like when standing on a 3-storey pile of them. make a wooden frame tower as high as you can.Or several. Improve it all the way to iron. Once done, destroy the bottom one, the rest will come crashing down. No need to destroy every single one Repeat. Can do it in the base/mine during night hours
    3.Bird nests: when looking for nests, equip your bow (or the Sniper rifle). From time to time, use the secondary action (zoom in) and look around. You will find more nests
    Last edited by BULIGO; 08-19-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janna3921 View Post
    My son has the latest patch, I think it got worse with the last one. In the area of overheating, he gets hot everywhere except in the snow biome and there he was warm all the time. Overheats bad in the dessert. He likes his shades, bandana and the fiber clothes. Checked in console and they seem to still be working on it. I am sure they will get it fixed as soon as they can.
    I have heard that the overheating is still bad for some people... mannn. I agree tho, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. I remember pre-patch for me and my bro, we had to jump in a river every 5 minutes it seemed like to not overheat. The patch seemed to help us but I have heard it hasnt for some people. I know it was definitely annoying. Shade didnt help or ntn half the time. Or it'd randomly go down after almost killing us inside in the shade after 10 minutes. Lol

A few tips.
    1. Make a forge as soon as you can. If you are like me you hate to use bottles of water on food recipes because you lose the bottle. You can make jars fairly easy in the forge and won't have to worry about using them up on food.

2. Start a farm for golden rod flowers. You can pick enough and turn them into seeds to get started. I think I have 4 rows of 11 currently. 44 plants. If i'm not mistaken you get 3 flowers per plant when you grow them. The flowers can be used to make tea which is better than water imo. (With the previous jar tip, there should be plenty of jars to use but if not still make tea with the jars you find) Of course you need to purify the water over a campfire before you make the tea.

3. If you are close enough to the snow biome or jus feel like making a trip go to the snow biome and pick as many blueberries as you can. Turn this into seeds and make a garden. You will begin to turn over enough seeds to make blueberry pies which is decent food.

4. If you are lucky enough you can do the farming thing with potatoes. If you find seeds or an actual potato that you can turn into seeds plant them and keep replanting until its enough for you.

5. In conjunction with the previous tip, if you are near the corn farm or find corn or corn seeds either start a corn farm or reuse the farm land and grow corn

6. With tips 1, 4, 5, and hunting combined you can make meat stew which seems to be the highest stat food in the game as far as I have read.

7. The sexual Tyrannosaurus is a good upgrade if u hate waiting on stamina. I got the 2nd upgrade of it and by the time my stamina goes down it goes right back up so its almost like its infinite while mining or cutting.

Food is hard early in game but if you can scavenge long enough to get yourself established it gets better. As long as the undead doesnt decide to destroy it all. I got the blueberry pie idea from another post but not the farm part. It jus struck me to keep a steady supply. The red flower tea is good too but it won't let you make seeds for some reason that I could find so its scavenging time if you want a variety. ;-(

The 'red flower' (Chrysantemium) is used to make Herbal Antibiotics with mushrooms etc,(need the recipe first).
    The potato can't be 'picked' must be looted. The blueberry seeds can be looted off zombies. You need just one
    The corn grows naturally on the steppe (the brown grass area with cactusses ('cacti'?? Bite me).
    I agree re the blueberry pie. The foods I use the most are the meat stew (has odor) to use at 'home' (pump your fullness close to 100) and the blueberry pie to 'take out', no odor. Making Ham&Eggs is just wasting some good eggs IMO. But, thats just me. I always pick the 5/5 survivalist perk. Also 2-3 perks of the Camel perk. Yes it's a waste of 20 good points but all that water guzzling bores me to death.
    Re: snow biome: snow can be gathered (with a showel) one at a time. Stacks up to 500. One piece of snow=1 jar of water (in the campfire). Doesnt melt in my backpack nor in my base.
    Water: there is one type of abandoned house in the woods that has low windows with iron bars at ground level. It's basement is flooded and there is a locked safe. Flooded? Yes, it's a reliable water source
    Hunter's luck. Got'em both!!
    http://imgur.com/a/do3tb
    Last edited by BULIGO; 08-19-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Haha woahh. Nice go of it on those stags. Pyschotic caffiene pumped stags.... hahaha. And yea, I don't know if I paid attenrion bout antibiotics with the Chrysantemium. You can make tea also with it but idk if its any better than goldenrod tea. Probably better to use it on antibiotics.

Another tip, air drops are usually worth it. Get medical stuff and recipes sometimes, every once in awhile ys might get a good piece of equipment from it.

I should have my drinks pretty well took care of after the next harvest of goldenrod. I can plant 44 of them and take whatever is left. I jus have to find a potato to get some seeds out of and get that going. Got some blueberries goin right now, need to get my farm built up of those. I am out of town till next week sometime. I'm gonna be jonsing for some 7dtd by the time I get home, knowing all these things I can do lol.

Colony Founder
    If what I heard is true, Chrysanthemum will be having seeds. If not, there are plenty of them in the forested areas. Houses that have privacy fences generally have pools and you can use that for water. Also, some small ponds in the cities will give water. I've been lucky enough to find potatoes in the grocery store and looted out of a trash bag I think.
    My son found one on a zombie, he plays Console, PS4.
    Tokens, they can be scrapped, but after alpha 15 they can be used for money. From what I have read it is HIGHLY recommended that you restart your games over fresh, wipe them all, so that the new updates will work without any bugs. So, I would scrap them now for what you can get.

The car filters and some other items that can be scrapped. You can, on some, don't know which ones, get more when you scrap them in the forge than when you gather them.
    These tips are from various youtube videos or posts that I have read here, not what I have learned playing. What I have learned so far is that I have a lousy sense of direction and I get lost constantly, good for exploring, bad for getting home to my base before it gets dark. Good thing I am a coward and am playing with zombies off while I learn what to do. You can laugh at me, that is okay.
    I will be re-watching some videos today and tomorrow to get straight a tip or two that I found. Want to give them correct and give credit when I can. Most are just random ones that I check out and many say the same thing so I don't list them.

If what I heard is true, Chrysanthemum will be having seeds. If not, there are plenty of them in the forested areas. Houses that have privacy fences generally have pools and you can use that for water. Also, some small ponds in the cities will give water. I've been lucky enough to find potatoes in the grocery store and looted out of a trash bag I think.
    My son found one on a zombie, he plays Console, PS4.
    Tokens, they can be scrapped, but after alpha 15 they can be used for money. From what I have read it is HIGHLY recommended that you restart your games over fresh, wipe them all, so that the new updates will work without any bugs. So, I would scrap them now for what you can get.

The car filters and some other items that can be scrapped. You can, on some, don't know which ones, get more when you scrap them in the forge than when you gather them.
    These tips are from various youtube videos or posts that I have read here, not what I have learned playing. What I have learned so far is that I have a lousy sense of direction and I get lost constantly, good for exploring, bad for getting home to my base before it gets dark. Good thing I am a coward and am playing with zombies off while I learn what to do. You can laugh at me, that is okay.
    I will be re-watching some videos today and tomorrow to get straight a tip or two that I found. Want to give them correct and give credit when I can. Most are just random ones that I check out and many say the same thing so I don't list them.
    A bit of advice. If you place a bedroll down at your base you should be able to see it on your compass. Jus watch your compass and it should lead u back to your base if a bedroll is there.

I love to explore and to go out and hunt, gather herbs and search for nests, loot towns etc. I hate to quit my activity because night is coming and I am half day away from 'home'. So, what I do is to build 'Pillboxes' out in the wildernes. My exploration/hunting trips can last from a day up to several days. These pillboxes are really handy for unloading loot, restocking on food and water and ammo/craft new tools and weapons. One that I am having good results with is the basic one, takes about 50-60 concrete blocs and a dozen '50' concrete pillar elements plus a storage box and a trapdoor. Spikes are optional, mats for the spikes can be gathered locally. This can withstand any night time visitors plus the earlier Horde night attacks.
    3x2 space internally, no underground structures. You can save ammo by bashing the zombies melee, and can loot everyone plus can easily repair both rows of spikes from within the pillbox.
    Yesterday I went out for another hunting trip and wanted to explore a bit of the snow biome far in the west. Didn't loot any blueberry seeds so far, so decided to pick some by myself, to start a little plantation (have ~200 eggs waiting lol). I found 10 blueberry fruits but it was too late to get back home 'in time' so I spent the night in my "WEST-Pillbox' little piece of home away from home.
    http://imgur.com/a/KH3oc

Edit: just survived (another) horde night and looted 1 blueberry seed off a zombie. Go figure
    Last edited by BULIGO; 08-21-2016 at 07:23 PM.

What you mean here, are the car radiators(big sqarish boxes).In the game they are made of brass. In reality, they are made of aluminum. There ARE car air filters, and they can be used to make makeshift bombs/mines.
    I agree, if you only can, NEVER scrap anyting brazen. Not even that useless 9mm/10mm ammo. Instead smelt them in the forge.The lighting fixtures, the brazen sink faucets etc. Due to some (to me) odd rounding-down system you get more brass from them when smelted than scrapped. And every single ammo casing extra counts, right?
    Re: water source. Some (rare) little secondary roads end up in a pond with water. Mostly they end up at a house or abandoned camp tho. On my map so far, I found just two such ponds. None is useful to me: one is near a city with 2 swimming pools, the other one is rather close to the snow biome, so water is not a problem. An oasis in the desert would be super-cool
    Last edited by BULIGO; 08-20-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Janna, I jus recognized that you was talkin bout bein out and not able to get back to your base not not being able to find it. I am so dumb sometimes. I couldnt figure out how to delete my post. Lol

Colony Founder
    What is dumb and sad is that when I left Perishton I was heading for home in the right direction. After I bit I stopped to look for bears and in turning in a circle and a twitch of my hand made the mouse move I didn't pay attention and traveled on the road and discovered that I was heading back to Perishton instead of heading home. *Sigh* I keep forgetting to look at the compass at the top and see which direction I am going. Thanks for the correction for the car radiators. They do provide brass and I didn't know you could use the filters for bombs/mines. I knew that the tins of candy could be used for mines.

Some more tips on respawning in a house or POIs. I moved into a house that is just after you cross from the forest into the plains. It has three businesses and a house. I looted it and all the businesses and the cars. Am still remodeling the house and naturally nothing inside is re-spawning. The cars outside and the mailbox, however have re-spawned. In one of the buildings I forgot to take the loot out and in some other building in other POIs I had left some loot accidentally in a container. The rest of the containers, boxes, fridges, ovens, cabinets all re-spawned.

If you live in the plains, to keep from having to travel far to find wood, get seeds from trees around you, look for ones that have 1000 hitpoints, as they will give the most wood. If you go to the snow biome and collect seeds from the pine trees, when they grow they will look as if they have snow on them.
    In gardening, you have to plant the trees far apart, you can plant some others, I think it is corn, between the trees.

I had some other tips but I can't find where I wrote them down and can't remember them right now. I will remember later and make sure I post them. I know that one of them dealt with farming, tilling the soil, some you don't need to till to get the plants to grow. I'll watch it again and find out. It is one of Games7Kickz videos, his are fun to watch and has me laughing a lot.

Am adding this tip here in case someone skips some of the earlier tips. Learned this today in the discussion thread of Alpha 15 in news and announcements.
    In the area of spamming, making axes, shovels and such I have seen videos of making 50 or more of them and dropping them as you run around. I learned that doing so, if on a server and not sure about on your own computer, that it can cause lagging. If you decide to do that, make a secure chest and place them it and destroy it. Also, when looting and you want to toss away some items, make a chest and destroy the chest. I have made chests and put them on a frame at the end of a street with a torch so it is easier to find. Just destroy the first frame and everything will be destroyed.
    Last edited by Janna3921; 08-30-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Survivor

Thank you

Thank you Janna so much for posting this very helpful thread.

We're new players, on the Xbone and are just restarting for the 4th time. I've never bothered with the cement mixer before, but didn't know that it could turn stone into sand. In our 3rd game we discovered the joys of mining and ended up swimming in stone.... so now I know what to do with it all.

Yes, the trick with the disposable chest to store the spammed tools works. Even niftier: no need to destroy the chest, just pull out the wooden frame it is sitting on, it will collapse and get destroyed and leaves a tiny pile of scrap wood behind, no tons of stone axes scattering about.
    For that, the chest on the frame must not be in contact with any other object, like wall so the 'glue' function of the block can not affect it and it loses support for it's SI and drops on the ground.
    Re: gardening: when tilling, you must till one terrain'box' yes one not. Which means you can still plant some 'crops' between the tilled rows, like cotton. I do it all the time. It's slower (the cotton planting between tilled rows) because the plant 'blocks' love to collide with eachother.
    If it won't let you plant it, try from a different position, like diagonally or from 'behind'.
    Also, I've read about people that make one row (the tillable one) of fertile dirt and the not-tilled one of say, gravel. So to make a visible distinction. Not sure of the usefulness of it, because properly tilled rows look very clear to me.
    A little remark: I just learned how to bring back the crosshairs on the crossbow (when zoomed in). If you are not on a console, that is, since it involves some small tinkering with an .xml file:
    http://imgur.com/a/J7twh

My new underground garden wth the cotton 'squeezed in':
    http://imgur.com/a/Quzft

The layout seen from the surface:
    http://imgur.com/a/fH0nH

Credit for the idea and design goes to Grand Spartan. Also my whole main base and most regional mini-bases are based on his end-game base design.Check his videos on youtube, has many ideas/design for awesome bases from day 7 horde night made of wood, to your 'end game' fortress made of steel reinforced concrete, safe underground Minibike garages and then some.
    Last edited by BULIGO; 09-01-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote by Buligo
    "Yes, the trick with the disposable chest to store the spammed tools works. Even niftier: no need to destroy the chest, just pull out the wooden frame it is sitting on, it will collapse and get destroyed and leaves a tiny pile of scrap wood behind, no tons of stone axes scattering about."

Be careful when you do that. I was looting in the abandoned houses in the burnt section. Had cleaned out four houses, had a crate that was almost totally full and when I went to open it, instead I twitched and instead removed the wood frame below the frame with the crate. Down they went, both frames and so my crate and all that I had looted was gone. I yelled a few choice words collected some more loot and then headed home.
    Come to think of it, I haven't gone back to those houses to do any more looting.

Colony Founder
    Since Alpha 15 experimental is out and there will be changes in the game, I will wait on adding any info until after it has been released and any more bugs are discovered and taken care of.

I know that much of what has been for alpha 14.7 will still be used, but there will be some changes and I want to do my best to keep it accurate.

So, bear with me on the tips for everyone,
    Thank You