Thread: Unlocking In-Game Prefab Editor (Terrain Tools) [.dll mod]

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    How was this not stickied before?

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    No modder moderators.

/ducks and runs from cc

Tracker
    Hello.

Starting to poke at this. Query: A post from a previous version showed an option in the edit screen to make a new flat world. Is this option still available? I am not seeing it.

Other question I have found that by simply copying the Nav folder with a new name, the game will allow me to start as, and to modify, a whole new world just like Nav, that can sit side by side with it. Which is cool. Curious though if there is any way to export the terrain from a generated RWG map into a set of .rg files to use in the editor, to be able to play with not-navezgane as a baseline? Or any other way to get a set of .rg files?

Also, I am currently trying to open a new world in the editor as we speak(after having poked at Nav only a little) of size 8(smallest it would let me start) and the game seems to have stalled at 'Building Environment'. Is 8 actually too small to work? I would have thought smaller would load easier?

Edit: Nvm, several questions answered at once. 8 was too small and the 'create new world' option does create a new empty world. Still curious if there is any way to dynamically generate .rg files.
    Last edited by dreamdancer; 01-12-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Tracker
    New question though: How to save a new prefab using this? Using the prefab tools, all I seem to be able to do is load existing prefabs(which seems to remove the entire world) and potentially overwrite them(haven't tried yet). Not finding a way to make a new one, or add an existing one onto my bigflatemptyworld.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    Hello.
    Other question I have found that by simply copying the Nav folder with a new name, the game will allow me to start as, and to modify, a whole new world just like Nav, that can sit side by side with it. Which is cool. Curious though if there is any way to export the terrain from a generated RWG map into a set of .rg files to use in the editor, to be able to play with not-navezgane as a baseline? Or any other way to get a set of .rg files?
    It's possible but you won't be able to see the distant terrain from the RWG map since it works differently in Nav. You'd have to change the biomes.xml to only generating stone in each biome (no decorations, ores etc.). Generate the map and then copy the rg. files from your save game folder to worlds/Navezgane/Region folder. If you load up a new Nav map the game will use this terrain as the basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdancer View Post
    New question though: How to save a new prefab using this? Using the prefab tools, all I seem to be able to do is load existing prefabs(which seems to remove the entire world) and potentially overwrite them(haven't tried yet). Not finding a way to make a new one, or add an existing one onto my bigflatemptyworld.
    You need to draw a selection box around your prefab by pressing Z (or Y) first and then draw the box around your prefab by using shift + G. Then press K, select the prefab menu and save your prefab. You can load up prefabs the same way.

This is a custom map I have been working on using the editor to put in the prefabs:

Last edited by herrpohl; 01-12-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Was that made using height maps?

The terrain was made with the Unity terrain editor and then converted to a heightmap.

Next time you do that, could you shoot a video, from start to finish?

I don't know how to edit videos, but there are plenty of good tutorials on Youtube. The Unity terrain editor is quite easy to use.

I think I have it; also, Sphereii is looking into a better way to inject new maps.

Ranger
    herrpohl, how do you save the maps? The one issue I have with the Editor, is that changes I make to the world don't seem to "stick". Also, it's weird that I have to go to the New World menu, change to Editor, then go to the Continue and load from there. And often I need to exit and go to New World again, because it started normal instead of Editor mode anyway.

And SHIFT-G has never worked for me! I'm now upset that it does for you.

Dreamdancer, what I do to select stuff is point to a block in one corner and press Z while pressing SHIFT, then do the same on the opposite corner (one at the bottom, one at the top). If you don't press shift, you select a block _beside_ the one you are pointing. When you press shift, then you select the block itself.

Another thing I do is, using the k menu, select "create prefab". On the Building menu you can reach through ESC, select Show Prefab Areas (or something like that), which causes all prefabs in the world to be highlighted. Then you can click on any prefab, and, from that point on, you can _replace_ that prefab with another one using k, or save your selection to a file.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsobral View Post
    herrpohl, how do you save the maps? The one issue I have with the Editor, is that changes I make to the world don't seem to "stick". Also, it's weird that I have to go to the New World menu, change to Editor, then go to the Continue and load from there. And often I need to exit and go to New World again, because it started normal instead of Editor mode anyway.
    You can save the prefab positions by pressing Esc and hitting save. You can't really save changes you made to the terrain of the world unfortunately. I always load up my worlds via the Create World screen (editing tools), so you're always in editing mode.

And SHIFT-G has never worked for me! I'm now upset that it does for you.
    Sorry, it's Ctrl+Shift+G. Shift + G is only for moving the selection box. :-\

Ranger
    Well... SHIFT-G doesn't work for me either.

Well... SHIFT-G doesn't work for me either.
    Just to be clear, you don't see this coordinate system appear when pressing shift + g?

I checked it again, it's G for moving and shift + g for changing the size of the selection box (with your mouse).