Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

Hey all,

Update Version 1.0.5.2 - May 6th, 2018
    =====================================
    * Added dependency on .NET 4.7.1 to be compatible with Github / Windows 7
    * Log File button placed under the Pre-Sync button to help people find it
    ** This version should resolve the issue with Windows 7, even without the Easy Fixed

Update Version 1.0.5.1 - February 24th, 2018
    * Upgraded version of .NET 4.6.1 to be compatible with new GitHub Standard

NOTE: Windows 7 Users! Please read and follow this Post: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...l=1#post792405

Update Version 1.0.4.5 - December 2nd, 2017
    * Updated Git Library to improve download reliability
    * Added Cancel Sync button to interrupt, allow you to re-try in case of hangs
    * Renamed "Install Mod" to "Install Game Copy", for clarity
    * Renamed "Test Mod Sync" to "Pre-Sync Mod", for clarity
    * Adding Open Folder ( button with 3 dots) to open an explorer window to the Mod folder
    * Added Delete Downloads button, which clears out TempMods, without deleting the game folder
    * Added filtering to remove existing mods from being copied over from Steam installs
    * Added Installed Mods Grid, to show which Mods you have installed, with quick Play options
    * Added Starting Splash Screen to take you back to original starting screen.
    * Improved clean up of background tasks if Mod Launcher is forcibled exited

From 1.0.3.19:
    * Minor Tweaks to improve downloads in corner cases
    * Added experimental "Save All Games Local To Mod" - Isolate and load your saves per mod!

From 1.0.3.18:
    + Fixed Error when Steam folder isn't selected.
    + Added in Alternative Links for supported Mods
    + Changed the way Settings are saved for more wide support
    + Re-added scroll bars for Mod Description =D
    + Fixed RSS feeds for GitHub to show proper dates
    + Allowed Links to be clickable in Mod Description
    + Minor Cosmetic Improvements

More Tutorials are available from some great YouTubers.

Skippy0330

Max Fox

German Tutorial by Eihwaz

I have been playing on JaxTeller718's Forum Fanatics servers for the last few months. In order to play on this white-listed community, we had to install client-side mods in order to get the custom icons. However, the mods would soon get out of date, and we would have to remember to re-download the mods in order to get the latest icons.

So, with support from JaxTeller718 and the other Forum Fanatics, I wrote the 7D2D Mod Launcher, which allows your subscribed mods to be re-downloaded and updated every time you play.

With support from valmar and StompNZ, we fine-tuned the process to read from the 7Days2Mod GITHUB depot, to give you a nice starting place where you can play with different mods effortlessly, and always be up to date.

Want to play Magoli's prefabs? No problem!

How about adding in Valmar's Expansion mod with Magoli's prefabs? Megacity? Again, no problem!

True Survival? Supported!

A Clockwork Project? We got your back.

Want to use the new Stoneworld, along with herrophl's editor? Yeah, we got you covered too.

What does it do, exactly?

Very simply, the Launcher reads a remote configuration file that contains different download links to the various mods. When you want to play a mod, you select it from the list, and it will automatically download and install the mod for you, then launch the game. You can also make your own configuration, called My Mods, mixing and matching mods at your leisure.

If you are playing on a server, your server administrator can create a config for the Launcher to use, that contains all their download links that are required. Need the back pack mod? The Server Administrator can add it to their zip file, and everyone will get it.

Modes:

The 7D2D Mod Launcher has two modes: Simple and Advanced.

Simple: This mode will download and install mods into your Steam folder, and switch them out every time you play.

Advanced: This mode will make a copy of your game, or re-download a fresh copy from Steam, separating each mod from each other.

If you have the disk space, we recommend using Advanced mode. It's a nice isolation that gives you more flexibility, especially when the latest in Steam may not be compatible with your favorite mod.

How do I get started?

There's three ways to install the 7D2D Mod Launcher:

1) Download the 7d2dmodlauncher.exe: This small program will call Microsoft's OneClick installer of the 7D2D mod Launcher, update itself, if need be, and then launch the application. It can be added to Steam as a Non-Steam game, in order to activate the Steam Overlay

2) Download the OneClick Installer directly. This will install the program, and add a Desktop short cut to launch it with. You can add that shortcut to Steam as a Non-Steam game, however, it will not auto-update from Steam.

3) Download the Release.zip. You can extract and run as-is, without installing anything. However, it will not auto-update.

Once it's installed and running, click on File, then click on Load Defaults to preload our default settings.

For Advanced, it will ask you to select a new directory where all your mods will be installed and managed.

YouTube Videos

I created a few short YouTube videos on how to get started.

Spoiler: 

Extra Info

Each of the installation methods has been signed by my security certificate, which I acquired for this tool: SphereII Software.

Want to see a history of its development? Read up on the original forum thread on the Forum Fanatics website

The main website for the 7D2D Mod Launcher is: http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

For Log Files, you can go to the View menu, and select Log Files. This will allow you to view the launcher's log files, as well as your 7 Days to Die game log. An Upload Log File will upload the log file to pastebin, allowing you to share.

You may notice that that the 7D2D Mod Launcher is also referenced as "7D2D Launcher". Development work pre-dates the Fun Pimp's own 7DLauncher name, and I wanted to remain distinct, thus the move to the more recent, 7D2D Mod Launcher.

Enjoy playing, and I hope to hear some feedback

-SphereII
    Last edited by sphereii; 05-07-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Updating version

If you do not play on EAC-protected servers, and just want to have a more enjoyable single-player experience, the 7D2D Mod Launcher includes a 7D2D Patcher utility built-in, which allows you to create, or apply, DLL patches.

Using the open source program called xdelta, we are able to make patch file based on two versions of a DLL file.

For instance, using herrophl's excellent work with the UABE tool, we were able to remove the second bloom, remove the sky fog, and add back in the 1-block crouch features. However, that only allowed us to have a 400M file, which was too big to download for some people.

The 7D2D Patcher creates a delta based on the original vanilla file, and the modded file, producing a patch file that is only 128 kilobytes in size. This file ends with the prefix 7D2DPatch, and is paired with an XML file.

The 7D2D Mod Launcher will look at the XML file, check the original file, and confirm that the patch was created for that DLL version. Then, it'll apply the patch, and verify that it meets the expected hash.

If the hash doesn't match, the patching is skipped.

What does bloom / sky fog removed look like?

Before:

After:

Video showing the 7D2D Patcher

This option is available under View -> Patches. The current patch is available for Alpha 14.7 only.

I will absolutely vouch and back sphereii hard work and expertise. He has put his all into this wonderful tool, and it is just absolutely wonderful. It has made my life, and the life of everyone on my servers so much easier. Have icons and progression files that dont push? Have them use this. You can make direct changes to your files server admins and you never have to ask everyone to update again, as long as they launch with this the new files will auto download to their pcs. It has saved me and others hours of frustration,'

Months in development and fine tuned, i stand behind this 100 percent and am proud to have even been able to call this man both a friend and a fellow server community member. You absolutely can not go wrong with this life saving tool.

Fedora Approved!

Hey sphereii long time no chat lol, glad you finally made the plunge and put this out there for all to use.
    Will make a big difference to those of us who like to play the game using different mods from time to time.

You Sir are awesome!

I've been using this for a few weeks and it works brilliantly

(also one of the reasons I've been promoting using GitHub to host mod files )
    Last edited by StompyNZ; 08-21-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Great work, SphereII!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    I will absolutely vouch and back sphereii hard work and expertise. He has put his all into this wonderful tool, and it is just absolutely wonderful. It has made my life, and the life of everyone on my servers so much easier. Have icons and progression files that dont push? Have them use this. You can make direct changes to your files server admins and you never have to ask everyone to update again, as long as they launch with this the new files will auto download to their pcs. It has saved me and others hours of frustration,'

Months in development and fine tuned, i stand behind this 100 percent and am proud to have even been able to call this man both a friend and a fellow server community member. You absolutely can not go wrong with this life saving tool.
    Thank you for the kind words. Let's hope this will make server administrators more flexible in the mods they can deploy!

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    Fedora Approved!
    Thank you for your mods, and your help, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamida View Post
    Hey sphereii long time no chat lol, glad you finally made the plunge and put this out there for all to use.
    Will make a big difference to those of us who like to play the game using different mods from time to time.
    Very long time no see! Thanks for your challenging test scenarios!

Quote Originally Posted by StompyNZ View Post
    I've been using this for a few weeks and it works brilliantly

(also one of the reasons I've been promoting using GitHub to host mod files )
    And thank you for trying to group the mods together. It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by herrpohl View Post
    Great work, SphereII!
    It pales compared to what you have been contributing, sir! I hope this is just another piece of the puzzle!

Looks awesome. One question. I know this works with xml mods with icons but will this work for SDX mods

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Looks awesome. One question. I know this works with xml mods with icons but will this work for SDX mods
    I'm not that familiar with SDX, I'll admit. So I cannot confirm one way or another if it works.

However, the launcher will install and patch anything you provide. So if you provide it with a modified DLL, it will find the original, and replace it. If you have a new directory structure, then the launcher will install the new structure. If you provide a 7D2DPatch file, it will patch large files while keeping the patch file small.

I would look forward to working with someone with SDX to test somethings out.

-SphereII

I looked into it, and seems to be mostly modded XML and .DLL files.

I followed the instructions and installed SDX, and tested the Double Barrel shotgun mod, as well as Hal's Turrent, Lawn Mower, and Michonne's Katana mod. I then created diff between the SDX installed folder, and my baseline, and generated a zip file ( using Beyond Compare 4).

The zip file in question is this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q4...ax/SDXTest.zip

I created a sample 7D2D Launcher config, which can be found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Sp...master/SDX.xml

You can copy and paste that link, then, in the Launcher, click on "Open URL", and paste it in. You'll then have a new SDX mod available in the launcher.

Config Example:

Game Screen:

By providing pre-made zip files, and configs, we can create mods that contains groupings of SDX mods, without the user needing to use the FrontEnd or installing SDX itself. It does not appear as if you need to update Settings.ini either.

For instance, if Spider has all the mods installed, and working, he could create a zip file of just the changed files, and share them.

It may not be ideal, or as easy as adding custom icons or XML changes, but then again, the SDX process is slightly more complex.

End users may not be able to make their own combinations without using SDX and FrontEnd, but we could provide some pre-made SDX mod combinations to get a good feel for them, and give it some more exposure.

Server Administrators could create these packages, and allow their clients to easily connect to their servers.

-SphereII

Added a new config to the SDX link from the posting above. It's called SphereII SDX Bigger, which is a larger download, at about 200M. But it includes more SDX mods, including CCTV, DoubleBarrel, HalArrow, HalChicken and Turret, Lawn Mower, Lucille, Medieval, Katana, Morte's Farming, Fishing, and Husbandry mods. I also included RangedWeapons and My Dogs, in addition to the Stone Oven, TargetDummer, and WhyAmINaked.

These mods combinations are more of a proof of concept project, rather than any kind of official mod. However, modders can create their own combination to create a solid game play experience based on themes.

As in the above post, you can click on Open URL in the launcher, and paste this link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Sp...master/SDX.xml

Random Screenshots:

Full Imgur Album

-SphereII
    Last edited by sphereii; 08-23-2016 at 12:26 AM. Reason: adding images

Hello, Love this utility, Awesome work.

Ty sir for your hard work! We at Forum Fanatics are proud to have you as a member and a friend.

With that said, I was hesitant at first to use this tool as I hate change. I preferred the old way of copying the 7d2d folder and pasting, downloading from the net the mods I needed, unzipping and dragging in the files, etc.

But after much hesitation because I am a stubborn b*stard, I tried it out, and have never regretted it since. This tool is an absolute must have if you play on modded servers, want a modded single player, or are a server admin and want a fast and easy way to distribute your mods. You will not dissapointed if you try this out. So if you are like me and hesitant to change, try this out anyway, and then you will REALLY be hesitant to change back to the old method.

TY SPHERE! You sir, are appreciated.