Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [Known Issue] Terrain Rewriting (MD5 Issue)

Refugee

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdon6585 View Post
    I've had this happen to me 3 times so far. Each time I had just completed a TOTALLY fortified base, I RE-acquired a lot of guns, ammunition and food supplies and the map where my bases are reset to Day 1. It's BRUTAL! And I pretty much play by myself 98% of the time so that much progress takes quite a long time.
    I'm probably not playing this game again until I hear that a fix has been implemented. Once it has, feel free to send me a game invite! GT same as my username: LastDon6585.
    Good luck, and fingers crossed for a fix soon!
    I seem to get most of my crashes when i've been playing for at least an hour, i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in the last week i've been playing in short bursts and so far have had no problems (fingers crossed).

I'm still enjoying the game and trying to spread my stashed items so as to lose as little as possible, but unless there's a fix incoming hopefully soon i fear that the next loss of bases/items will be my last.

Question are any of you loading up after you play in a Random Gen World?

I was reading on Reddit someone theorized that this issue seemed to happen when you were in a Random Gen World and then loaded up another world. The "work around" was always shut down your application before loading your world.

I can't verify this at all, so please don't take this as Gospel.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by DoucheVader View Post
    Question are any of you loading up after you play in a Random Gen World?

I was reading on Reddit someone theorized that this issue seemed to happen when you were in a Random Gen World and then loaded up another world. The "work around" was always shut down your application before loading your world.

I can't verify this at all, so please don't take this as Gospel.
    I've only had these problems occur in the last couple of weeks, and i've always been using the navezgane map, i hadn't been playing the game for a little while and just recently got the bug again and was initially pleased how smooth it was running, but also noticed it was crashing a lot and stuff like my killpits and bases were being wiped.

I play with 'zombies never run' and the longer '18 hr days' and also 'tool belt drop only' on death, apart from that everything is on default.

Refugee
    after a single player or multiplayer game crashes. a section of my world resets back to default. not the whole world just a section. in this section is part of a pit trap and the entrance to my underground bunker that is inside a pre generated house.

the house and bunker were generated by the game. i however have upgraded the house up to concrete and replaced front door to a max upgraded hatch, about 5 sections in front of that is the boundary of my permiter pit trap. it is 4 squares wide and 20 deep. then there is a 1/4 block wall and then below that is a tunnel retrieval section. for getting drops.

after almost any multiplayer or single player crash. a section of the world resets. a section about 15 x 15 wide resets back to the default generation. it refills in and removes all the concrete blocks of my pit, reverts part of the house back to default, removes my vault doors and replaces them with the wooden boards. so far it has happened 3 times. two of the times i have rebuilt it. now it is left just how it was when the reset happened minus me having to bust my way back out of my own vault. everything inside that section reverts in straight lines the first half of the house is trash and the other half is fully upgraded. and about the time i fix it all back. the game will crash soon after reverting it all back. to the point ive abandonded the game totally.

For what it's worth, my friend and I got hit with the MD5 bug this weekend. New random world, 60m days, 18hr daylight, Scavenger difficulty I think, max zombie spawns.

We found an army compound (? - maybe 20x20 area fenced with towers) and used it as a base for days 1-2. Collected a bunch of resources and put them into a secure chest.

Day 3 we went to the city to start up an apartment complex base. His game (host) crashed to Xbox desktop. My game disconnected a few seconds later. After restarting the game, he went back to our bedroll waypoint at the original base, but it wasn't there. Or rather, the bedroll waypoint was a half-click south of where the army base actually was, and the army base was completely reset.

It was annoying, but I'm not here to shout and complain. I trust the pimps & Telltale will get it worked out eventually.

I think we survivors should look at it as...enhanced realism! The nefarious forces behind the zombie epidemic are trying to thwart you at every turn, including ransacking your base and taking ur stuffs. So you need to be clever and hide stashes of resources and weapons and mini-bikes in various places. Overrun by zombies or magicked out of existence by the MD5 bug, it doesn't matter. You have to plan to survive even if your main base is lost!

Lemons + glass jar = Lemonade. Cooling -10F, Hydration +25

Zombie Hunter
    Interesting. Every time I have had this happen to me, the resets only happened where a player was currently standing. Unfortunately, that seemed to be by forges/storages most times.

As Clare mentioned in the first post, I was having a MD5 error almost daily on my map, and it was always after multiple crashes and logging back in. Usually 2/3 crashes would occur prior to the error. She is crediting me, but there was another member that said he would do a hard reset on his system every hour or so and was able to avoid it. When I attempted to to do this, we noticed that the first crash on our game was exactly 1.5 hrs after the host logged in. So, as the host, every crash, I would do a hard reset, and now, 2 weeks in I will report I have not experienced any issues. Yet.

Do not log in without a hard reset. It will be too late to fix it.

Refugee

Looks like this can happen without a crash.

SP mode
    Mostly defaults, with:
    'Never run'
    'Max Spawn'
    'Max loot'
    I did three separate random maps and focused on the central city at the first two story lodge to appear directly north-by-northeast (not sure if you get this spawn but my map literally had the same lodge all three times...if this is due to the game name influencing the rnd seed then I'm just an idiot I guess)
    Do normal gathering at various locales on map, head to lodge, then log. No crash. No lodge on reload either. Map markers for both bedroll and lodge exist but no lodge. Move away from area, relog, then the area repopulates.
    Day three the last two times, right before the air drop, and day 20 the first time. Not sure if any of that matters. No improvements made to lodge other than replacing bashed-in doors.
    I echo other fans of this game in that it is definitely a project worth saving as it's entertaining as hell, but this bug needs to be swatted. Good luck.

Zombie Hunter
    Maybe a completely Seperate bug. The only rewrites I have experienced were after crashes and only where players were at the time of the crash.

It can happen without a crash, the Tree reset that hotfix 6.1 fixed would have occurred without a crash.

BunnyMaster could you tell me the name of your save game? This is what determines what spawns, if I name it the same as yours the same map will generate. Did you change your languages between logging in and out or any console settings when doing this?

Thanks,
    Clare

Refugee

Just some observations

Hi Clare,

Hope you and the team are doing well so far in the new year.

I'd like to start off by saying that this isn't another complaint or "demand" for the game to be fixed. I have been playing since August and remained a loyal player through-out various glitches and patches. The game has improved immensely and I think it's wonderfully done, once the bugs are worked out it will no doubt be one of the best games on the market. With that being said, I thought it may help the team to know what I have personally experienced, as I'm sure every bit of information helps. I'm not sure if the insight or suggestions I provide have been already covered, but I thought it couldn't hurt either way.

I have suffered this error (MD5?) around 11 or 12 times across a couple different games. I have noticed it mainly seems to happen in the area relative to where a player spawns and almost always after logging off/on or getting booted. It doesn't seem to effect any areas other than right where players are spawning that I have noticed anyways. Moving around this map after 180-something days I have a pretty good lay of the land and where most things are in the areas I travel. (More so in the last game it happened to me in, as I had explored a good portion of the map in 260 days before the rewrite struck.) It has happened to me:
    Once in the city at a ruin I had filled with spikes for horde night.
    Once while building a bridge out to a medium sized island I was planning to inhabit.
    Once during the building of the base on that island.
    Once in/around a POI house I inhabited in the snow biome.
    Once in/around a POI I inhabited in the plains/forest/green biome.
    Three times at a spot where I had established a large 19x19 Square Base taking most of it each time.
    Twice in a tunnel system/somewhere on the top of a mountain (I noticed because of my tunnel obviously) where I had built a large Armory (About 10x10)
    In/Around a POI house at one of the 4 way intersections

Each time we had either logged out and when we later (sometimes minutes) logged back in or had gotten booted then logged back in, the area near where one of us was standing had reset.

As I stated, even though it's been a really frustrating process when it happens, I can't really complain about such a wonderfully playable and addictive game. (I've logged 40 hours of game play since Aug 31.) Keep up the good work and get this game to it's peak so we can see what it's really capable of. Thank you for your time and I hope this helps in some way to further the cause.

- Jedi

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    It can happen without a crash, the Tree reset that hotfix 6.1 fixed would have occurred without a crash.

BunnyMaster could you tell me the name of your save game? This is what determines what spawns, if I name it the same as yours the same map will generate. Did you change your languages between logging in and out or any console settings when doing this?

Thanks,
    Clare
    Clare,
    Name of the save is TWD Charlotte.

G/L, and thanks for staying on top of things.

Refugee

This bug is killing this amazing game

I just lost everything. And I must say that I don't like that a bug/glitch or whatever can wipe a hole base plus everything inside. I hope for developers that this has TOP priority, otherwise I think players will stop playing pretty quick. I rarely go on a forum, and I can live with bug, glitches and crashes and I understand that the game is not finished, but this is too much way too much. The game is not even playable, fun or enjoyable when you can lose hours of work in a second, and its vary sad because I really like your game and work, but please fix this asap.

Refugee

Let me just ask this

I have lost a lot of time building my defensive base against hordes and just lost everything, there are so many resources and time put into building concrete structures and gathering materials. How can you possibly trust in a game that can crash and lose everything at any moment? Only one save so you can't really get anything back at all. At least if I had more than one save I could get most of my items back. Just curious how they plan on us having fun only to be let down by this? I'm just so confused how I can trust this game to require all this effort only to lose it all for a glitch?

Scavenger
    Xbox one

I have experienced my 4th MD5 error. All terrain rewrites occurred with these settings.

Map: Random gen
    Seed: crackpot20
    Time of day: During Daylight
    Errors occured during Single player and split screen.

Each rewrite occurred in a different "sector". Not positive on the actual term to describe the entire section of land that rewrites.

After the first 2 errors occurred, I reported in another thread and began doing hard resets as sugguested. Unfortunately the hard resets were unsuccessful in preventing the next 2.

I specifically would like to report a commonality I have detected with each rewrite. Each rewrite occurred after reloading the game after a crash. Both with and without hard resets before loading.

More importantly, before each crash, I detected inconsistencies in character movement. Similar to rubber banding. Moving forward then the camera would stager and then I my character position would be approximately 3 blocks forward without the animation of the movement. Just a camera stager and then teleport to new location. These experiences could happen in the area several minutes and more than once before the actual crash. And always immediately before the crash before the rewrites.

I hope this information can help zero in on the cause of these errors. The last rewrite reset 2 weeks worth of work.

Thank you for continuing to support this amazing game,

Zombie Hunter
    Yeah, I had one MD5 error now after a hard reset as well. The odd part is that it only hit one location, as there were 2 of us on the map at the time.

Luckily, it was only at the entrance to my base, and not in a main area. Where I was clearing ground, a 36 block wide by 50 block long hole, 15 blocks deep, was not effected.