Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild idea for base

Rebuild idea for base

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vbjid19su...54442.jpg?dl=0

It won't let me embed pics taken on my phone for some reason so hopefully this works. I had a small kill pit but zombies broke out and killed my face. If you all can make out my concept in this pic, I'd appreciate your alls input. This may make me a huge undeniable nerd but thats okay. I drew this up. I cant draw well and have some problem with drawing straight lines lol. If you can gather my concept, I'd appreciate the feedback. I have put ideas together from a few of you guys here on the forums and came up with this. I have a room underneath the pit which will be storage and stuff so a ladder will go off on one side to go to the storage underneath and a door on another to go to my hallway to get out of the base. Any suggestions for improvements or ideas to make any part of it better? My writing is sloppy too so I apologize for that in advance. Lol. If ya need help understanding what I tried to draw up jus ask. I know its sort of a mess.

Scavenger
    This is exactly how I drawn my base before I started the only difference is I done it under ground so zombies take the fall damage get stunned while landing on my metal log spikes.
    The central block pillar for you is my way up to my sniper perch and another perch closer to ground level probably about 3 blocks up from the ground line.
    Also underneath the log spikes I have 1/4 concrete blocks so I can repair and loot from underneath it and all my forges are there as well so if heat detection comes into play they have to go to the pit.
    It's been my best base don't think I've ever had any issues defending it. The only thing that sucks being underground you don't see too much at all but that's why I built in the middle to climb up for sniper and just to be able to get some sunlight 8)

Quote Originally Posted by chronickells View Post
    This is exactly how I drawn my base before I started the only difference is I done it under ground so zombies take the fall damage get stunned while landing on my metal log spikes.
    The central block pillar for you is my way up to my sniper perch and another perch closer to ground level probably about 3 blocks up from the ground line.
    Also underneath the log spikes I have 1/4 concrete blocks so I can repair and loot from underneath it and all my forges are there as well so if heat detection comes into play they have to go to the pit.
    It's been my best base don't think I've ever had any issues defending it. The only thing that sucks being underground you don't see too much at all but that's why I built in the middle to climb up for sniper and just to be able to get some sunlight 8)
    My bad, all this would be underground also. Cool cool. Sounds like this is a good idea then. :-) I already have my underneath storage room built is what stinks because its too far down to put concrete in to repair from below. Hmmmm I'll either have to destroy all that or jus repair from the sides. I love the idea of a kill pit but my first one was 3x3 spikes with a box around it and a walk path around that. I thought i would hold.... ferals and cops broke out and I died.... I went to take my base back from them, I died.... ohhhh and then after that I went back down and...... DIED. lol hahahaha. So I am tryin to figure a way to make it better. Thanks for all your input btw. I like to get opinions and hear others ways of doin stuff.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddyjr2008 View Post
    My bad, all this would be underground also. Cool cool. Sounds like this is a good idea then. :-) I already have my underneath storage room built is what stinks because its too far down to put concrete in to repair from below. Hmmmm I'll either have to destroy all that or jus repair from the sides. I love the idea of a kill pit but my first one was 3x3 spikes with a box around it and a walk path around that. I thought i would hold.... ferals and cops broke out and I died.... I went to take my base back from them, I died.... ohhhh and then after that I went back down and...... DIED. lol hahahaha. So I am tryin to figure a way to make it better. Thanks for all your input btw. I like to get opinions and hear others ways of doin stuff.
    Yea your 3x3 old pit might be a bit small my main objective on hoarde night since I have got the mode on longest time for a day to pass was repair the metal log spikes a lot and also moving from one side to the other so the metal log spikes don't break. I try to makes the zombies move throughout the whole pit area so they're following you rather than just attacking the same pillar/area with multiple zombies

Zombie Hunter
    You want to be a super nerd, use graph paper, and do multiple angles to sho side view, top and such. What I am planning on doing for a large coliseum build. Lol

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by IBKillingfools View Post
    You want to be a super nerd, use graph paper, and do multiple angles to sho side view, top and such. What I am planning on doing for a large coliseum build. Lol
    YAAAAASSSSS lol this is exactly what I do! Ever since the first sims. If there's building, I'm planning XD

Haha. Yessss I'm not the only one that does preplanning then lol. I need to keep on the move to keep the zombie hits distributed more evenly. I have 18hr daylight, 120min days and 100% zombie spawn(normal). I learned real quick the 3x3 aint big enough, poor base.... You cant really keep the zombies moving in that little amount of space with 9 spikes. What do you guys think, normal spikes or upgradeable kind (I cant never remember their name)? I read in one post, somebody said the reg ones hurt the zombies more but got destroyed faster and the upgradeable kind didn't hurt them as much but lasted longer. Anybody have an opinion on which spikes?

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddyjr2008 View Post
    Haha. Yessss I'm not the only one that does preplanning then lol. I need to keep on the move to keep the zombie hits distributed more evenly. I have 18hr daylight, 120min days and 100% zombie spawn(normal). I learned real quick the 3x3 aint big enough, poor base.... You cant really keep the zombies moving in that little amount of space with 9 spikes. What do you guys think, normal spikes or upgradeable kind (I cant never remember their name)? I read in one post, somebody said the reg ones hurt the zombies more but got destroyed faster and the upgradeable kind didn't hurt them as much but lasted longer. Anybody have an opinion on which spikes?
    The upgradeable log spikes for certain. You'll never keep the regular spikes repaired. Also my pit is pretty much the same as yours and I never go underneath to repair the spikes Anymore I just do from the sides as I'm fighting zombies so I wouldn't worry too much about the 1/4 slabs underneath

Refugee
    Well in the pillar build you will want to invest in log spikes (upgading ones). There can be a challenge repairing them... that is... cops. I have died from explosions while underneath doing repairs. You also mentioned that you cant find space under for this repair area. If my proposal is this... one funny thing about log spikes is that you can place them connecting to their sides, even rotate them! You can stack them multiple layers high and focus on loot and killing and looting. The zombies slow wear the layers and even slip in between somtime like play in a ball pit. A pointy ball pit. Any way... spindle spikes are a great resource. I ways keep some on my tool belt for field work as a self defense for extreme circumstances. For your horde base try the log spikes in layer... its fun as heck.

Zombie Hunter
    I never thought of stacking them.. OMG! mind blown!

Ahhhhh awesommme. Didnt know u could stack them. This would be awesomeness

Hey guys. Jus got started tonight on my rebuild. I got to thinking as I was takin down some stuff to expand, the middle column that all the spikes surround in my plans, would it have to me concrete if I wasnt gonna put a perch or anything on it? Would there be any benefit to make it out of concrete vs wood? Its jus to make the spikes easily repairing or replaceable right? Jus thought Id ask u alls thoughts.

Refugee
    Yes... emphasis on the yes. The zombies dont really attack it, however you are likely to hit it alot. Especially with range weapons. Cops explode and so on. Spend the resources for sure, its worth it. The center also keeps the zombies close enough to loot too.

Quote Originally Posted by qsauce19 View Post
    Yes... emphasis on the yes. The zombies dont really attack it, however you are likely to hit it alot. Especially with range weapons. Cops explode and so on. Spend the resources for sure, its worth it. The center also keeps the zombies close enough to loot too.
    Makes sense. I had decided to go ahead and do concrete last night for the column. I am now doing the pillars in concrete. Whew wee its a resource sink but gonna be worth it. Mannnn I did summon so stupid, I been using rebar frames so it goes straight to reinforced concrete. I placed rebar pillars down ride beside eachother. Rebar pillars only come in the 100 pillar version, I upgraded a couple of them to concrete and everything in relized they was too big to shoot through. I had to come to concrete pillars 50 version. Had to put the rebar back in forge to get some iron back... I was so mad I wasted all of that.

Tracker
    My most recent build. Nothing fancy like a castle, but should be sturdy enough for the 140th day horde i have coming up.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoMtbroTN6MOgQvuOMD7xomFZ9Pl

The tower in the middle is pretty cool, at least I think so. One level puts you at the same height as the spike traps, and the second level puts you at ground level to snipe incoming zombies.

Hope this gives you some ideas Eddy.

Nathan