0 0%
  • Dev Diary Thread: Feedback, Questions, Discussion

0 0%
  • -----

0 0%
  • A16 Experimental:Achieved

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 274 of 1770 FirstFirst ... 1742242642722732742752762843243747741274 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 26537

Thread: Developer Diary: Alpha 16!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnocence View Post
    I am curious, if right now we can only have approximately 60 zombies in game at any giving time due to frames per second impact. How is that ratio going to be impacted by bandits?
    The new bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    The new bandits.

Spoiler: 
    I probably chuckled a little tooo much from that. xD

Worlds best fps. Not even kidding.

Scavenger
    I think a fearsome zombie would be fully armored military zombie with tannerite in his ruck...puts you in a dilemma and can take a chunk out of your base. Imagine if we could drop the zombie and get the tannerite? Could make some fun traps then.

Digger Poll is up in General Discussions.

Scavenger
    Did you give an option for "make a crater" zombie?

Quote Originally Posted by Di Mortis View Post
    Did you give an option for "make a crater" zombie?
    Something like a ....Crater Creator? I think we have one already.

Scavenger
    meteor_no_sunset1100x469.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TSBX View Post
    I'm just sayin'. It's supposed to be in Arizona and now we can explain the one near Winslow. It wasn't a meteor, just a fat-ass zombie from hell. Now I'm not suggesting it take out a city.

Where did my base go???
    Last edited by Di Mortis; 01-11-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Between digger zombies and bandits, this week's Q&A will be interesting.

The new bandits.

Oh good gods no!

The new bandits.

Come get some!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post
    Inverse kinematics is the solution to this and it's pretty cheap. You can apply it between the foot and the terrain to get proper stepping.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/InverseKinematics.html
    Huh. That looks considerably easier to implement than I thought. Any thoughts, then, why they wouldn't already be doing this e.g. for bears and deer climbing hills? I don't think it solves all of a Behemoth's problems, though. I foresee it getting stuck on different shapes, like between two closely-spaced trees. They're not insurmountable problems, but he's not going to look great before some giant-specific AI. I like the idea someone mentioned of him knuckle-walking, simply as a way to get him to fit places more easily while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    dead is dead: Maybe speed could be reduce slightly every ten levels below 70 until you finally just die off? Something to give people more incentive to be cautious, and a benefit for surviving more.
    I don't want to drag things out into a slow, painful death - it's not fun. I recommend the delete all on death setting. That makes death a significant setback at all game stages without being arduous.

Quote Originally Posted by Boa_2K7 View Post
    I've had many fresh spawns login to my server shortly before blood moon and survive the night this way. It's just a tragedy that an awesome game can be totally fooled this way.
    I want diggers, too, but let's be careful. At the same time we make underground bases not be a crutch, we need to think about what we expect those fresh spawns to do. Should their only option be to die repeatedly all night? That's almost a guaranteed rage quit, and that's no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TSBX View Post
    Ha! You beat me to it! I'll gladly lend my name if it helps improve underground gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    Huh. That looks considerably easier to implement than I thought. Any thoughts, then, why they wouldn't already be doing this e.g. for bears and deer climbing hills? I don't think it solves all of a Behemoth's problems, though. I foresee it getting stuck on different shapes, like between two closely-spaced trees. They're not insurmountable problems, but he's not going to look great before some giant-specific AI. I like the idea someone mentioned of him knuckle-walking, simply as a way to get him to fit places more easily while moving.
    On normal sized stuff IK chains on the feet and other such polish should probably be left for Beta. There's a bit of setting up to do and a bit of work making it look good, if the asset is going to be replaced that work was wasted. Floating feet may not look spectacular but it's hardly a game-breaker.

I'm pretty sure the Behemoth will attack trees or just straight out flatten them, same with any obstacle in its path. Planting trees could be a cheap way to slow it down as long as you plan far enough ahead. The current limit on placing trees too close to each other should balance this reasonably well.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 01-12-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Colony Founder
    "THE PLAYERS SPHERE.

The players sphere is the sphere that the player is in during the whole game.

Imagine a huge ball and your character is in the center of that ball. It extends in all directions, even underground.
    The ball moves were ever the player moves, left, right, up down eta... As the player moves, the sphere moves also.

Everything in this area operates as it should from forges to zombies to whole buildings being rendered.
    But once the player moves away so does the sphere. Once the player moves far enough away and the objects leave the sphere. They cease to operate.

So if you have a forge cranking out iron ingots. It will simply stop working and will not work until the object comes back in range of the player's sphere.

The same thing happens with other objects. They simply stop and for NPC's that are randomly generated. They simply cease to exist."

Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse View Post
    You're talking about items in unloaded chunks not being functional, plants and trees won't grow, forges stop producing, campfires and chem stations are frozen in time.

Minecraft uses it, so it's not a big deal if we have it or not, but leaving it as is will teach people to cut off the campfire when they're gone and not burn up all the wood.
    You don't understand. I was not stating this to add a new idea. This IS the current idea imho of how many games work including this one.
    Last edited by sillls; 01-12-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Workstations, crops, loot respawn timers, heatmap timers, etc don't function if the chunk they are in is unloaded but they do keep track of what time the chunk unloaded and what time it reloaded and this delta is used to catch up to what it would have been if the chunk had remained active the entire time. It is a simulation of being active and it is intended to work in this fashion so that crops grow and things smelt and craft and containers repopulate loot and the heatmap adjusts. The devs want the world to feel alive and active independent of our presence even though it actually isn't. If those things are not working like that then it is a bug. If you set something to craft and it says it will take 5 hours of real time so you travel five chunks away and stay there for five hours which could be close to a week in game time and then return your crafting job should be done. That is the way it is supposed to work. The only thing you would lose out on by doing that is the experience gain of the crafting.