Page 71 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1215

Thread: Botman server manager official support thread

5 landclaims? What stops players giving themselves hundreds via that? How is it limited?

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegzor View Post
    5 landclaims? What stops players giving themselves hundreds via that? How is it limited?
    Time is what limits it. CBSM gimmies are usable once every 60 minutes, and that is configurable so we can set it to whatever amount of time we want (forgot to mention this). The time limit affects the whole gimmie system too. If you choose to do gimmie landclaim, you can't do gimmie bandages right away, you still have to wait 60 minutes even though it's a different gimmie group.

Hi guys! Happy New Year!

I have released a bug fix to all code branches. Mostly minor stuff except for one fun bug that causes the bot to randomly reset itself. It's not actually random and a server owner would have to have initiated it, but it wasn't cancelling as documented. Now it does. If your bot does randomly reset itself, you can fix it straight away by typing /restore backup. The restore command is restricted to server owners.

Question Gimmehell

Can anyone explain in noob terms how to get gimmehell to work?

"/add location arena" and use "/gimmehell" in that location

Hi guys! I've been doing some bug fixing which I hope to release soon, and making code changes in preparation for the bot's new web interface. One of those changes is moving all commands into individual functions which gives them a name that I can stuff into a table. Each command can then have a custom access level and it also makes it easy for me to sort them both in the code, help and web interface.

Here is a screenshot

http://botman.nz/CodeChanges.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
    Can anyone explain in noob terms how to get gimmehell to work?
    I have had 1 report of gimmehell crashing the bot recently though I did a code fix last year which should have fixed that. Please report back to me if running /gimmehell causes your bot to stop responding. If that happens, the interim fix is to not have a location called arena.

Refugee
    I thought of one other thing. CBSM has zgates (which are like waypoints) and they can be toggled to private, so only you can use them, and public, so anyone can use them. You can see all public zgates by typing /zgate list public. Botman has waypoints but it appears public waypoints are only shared with your friends... it would be great if there was an option to share waypoints with everybody, not just your friends. On our server we have for example a few traders publicly zgated so anyone can use them, and part of my own base is on a public zgate so anyone can use it for horde night.

So... to recap, we would be ready to disable CBSM completely and move forward with Botman only if we had:

1. Shop items of configurable (not random) quality
    2. An option to toggle waypoints available for anybody, not just friends, to use
    3. Something similar to CBSM gimmies where we can set up items that players can choose from every so often for free. We currently use it for landcliams, paint, some medical supplies, a car, corn & potatoes, and there's even one that spawns a deer. Players can choose from any one of these rewards every 60 minutes, then they can use gimmie again.
    4. Some other configurable custom commands that do things... a starter kit command would be useful for new players. We currently hand out starter kits by hand, but a command that does it would be even better. To limit it we could set a really long cooldown for it so it's really only usable once until the server wipes and everything is reset again.

Slight setback today. The main drive with Windows on my PC died. I have multiple backups both local and in the cloud but it will take days to get everything reinstalled and recovered. The bot is the most backed up thing I have xD. Fortunately I code the copy on my server so the latest bot code is not lost. Even if that happened, it wouldn't be the first time I've had to redo work.

I am preparing a replacement drive and I'll probably need to buy another 2TB drive as I really should set up a raid. I don't know much about raid. Never set it up before.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    It's great for killing roaches.

...but you may want to check on the raid types to make sure you choose the one you want (probably raid 0).

Looks like the main casualty will be my downloads folder. That wasn't backed up but I'm currently restoring 75gb of personal files from the cloud and about to restore from my local backup which I think backed up program settings as well as all my files. Maybe not the downloads folder. I'll know once it has finished rebuilding its database. I use Google Drive and Dropbox for the cloud storage and Duplicati for my local backup to my home server.

I see that a file that I created minutes before the incident even got backed up. Nice
    Last edited by Smegzor; 01-16-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegzor View Post
    Slight setback today. The main drive with Windows on my PC died. I have multiple backups both local and in the cloud but it will take days to get everything reinstalled and recovered. The bot is the most backed up thing I have xD. Fortunately I code the copy on my server so the latest bot code is not lost. Even if that happened, it wouldn't be the first time I've had to redo work.

I am preparing a replacement drive and I'll probably need to buy another 2TB drive as I really should set up a raid. I don't know much about raid. Never set it up before.
    check out http://www.freenas.org/ for raid. Basically all you need is a minimal pc with hard drives. I believe you can run the OS off a usb stick. Just put however many TB's worth of drives you want in. Recommended to me was 1gb of ram per TB. This is the next major update I'd like to do.

I just use a parity disk in windows itself. 3x 2tb drives with one being the checksum means 4tb space

Storage Spaces under System and Security in control panel

Quote Originally Posted by StompyNZ View Post
    I just use a parity disk in windows itself. 3x 2tb drives with one being the checksum means 4tb space

Storage Spaces under System and Security in control panel
    When I've finished with the recovery (which is going great), I will check out this parroty thing.

Refugee
    Speaking of backups, it would be fantastic if Botman had a feature that could automatically generate backups of server data, in case hackers ruin the server, or someone loses their character data or something...

On the subject of RAID, if you really care about your data, probably what you want to use is RAID 1. It mirrors the drives. That means if you have two 2TB drives, you still only have 2TB storage, but one drive will be a 1:1 copy of the other. I'm not sure how reliable parity RAID is.

That said, it's still possible for something to corrupt your entire RAID array, or for a surge to wipe out both discs (or your entire computer), house fire etc... The only thing RAID really protects against is when one disc dies, you still have your data on the other. Really critical data should be backed up off-site somewhere, which it looks like you were already doing... but RAID will save you from going through the trouble if all that happened was a drive died.
    Last edited by Downgraded286; 01-19-2018 at 02:12 AM.