Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Botman server manager official support thread

Botman server manager official support thread

Hi guys,

I am the creator of the Botman server manager. This thread is where I will answer your questions and update you with news, and links to guides etc. I hope to make some video guides as well.

I started the bot in late 2014 and have been working on it almost daily ever since. It is written in Lua, currently has over 36,000 lines, over 1,000 commands, almost all the features of other server managers and many more. You will probably use less than 50 commands most of the time and they are all documented on my website and accessible ingame and on IRC.

It runs on top of a program called Mudlet which is designed to be a MUD client (Multi-user D&D). Mudlet is a telnet client with Lua scripting support. It requires a desktop so you can't run it on Bluefang etc, but you can run it anywhere with a reliable internet connection and a desktop OS and connect it remotely to your server. Mudlet runs on Windows, Linux and OSX but the bot uses a database and Lua on Windows is not able to connect to any database servers. If someone can help me solve that, get in touch.

On Linux however it works and the installation of the bot should be easier soon as a Docker container is being made which is basically a scripted installer. I am also planning to add a web interface and looking at using meteor.com for that.

Right now the bot is commanded via in-game chat and from IRC. IRC is great because you can monitor and admin from anywhere and all you need is a smartphone or better. The bot supports coloured names and commands can be hidden from public chat. It can also run along side other server managers and can be told to use something other than / for commands or even no symbol. It will automatically detect CBSM and remap commands to = unless told not to or commands are already using something else.

I have no plans to stop supporting the bot, and improving and adding to it. It is a very mature project that runs well and is very responsive. If you have problems with it you only need to contact me and you can post in here. Like Alanine, I am one guy so I will do my best to help everyone in a timely manner. You do not have to host your own bot, I have hosting with friends and today I am launching a bot hosting service at botmanhosting.com

A web interface is planned and I am currently looking at building it with meteor.com

The web interface and bot development takes a lot of my free time, over 10,000 hours so far. Aside from the hosting service, I do not sell my bot, it is 100% free but I do accept donations. I have recently joined Patreon.com and anyone who wants to support me can do so there or via the donate button on my website. Here are some links for you..

botman.nz

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4058495

reddit.com/r/botman

The bot supports A15 and requires Alloc's mod. It also uses and supports most of Coppi's mod. I have been talking to Coppi for a long time and many of his mod's features happened because I pestered him for this and that xD Coppi is amazing!

The bot's source code is online on bitbucket. I have other links in my download page on the botman website. The latest sources can be obtained here. I will update bitbucket when I get time.

The bot is an original work. I have copied Gimme from FRT and most recently I have modified some existing bot features to more closely resemble some features of CBSM. Mostly though I cheat by just aliasing my own commands so that /wallet for example works. I make it a point not to look at other server managers and features such as CBSM's plots were in the bot 6 months before they appeared in CBSM. The bot was in development 6 months before CBSM arrived but I took my time releasing the bot as I didn't want to release a bad server manager and I have spent many long hours making the bot better and nicer to use. That task has no end. xD
    Last edited by Smegzor; 10-08-2016 at 04:39 AM.

We have been using Botman on OZ.NZ for a few months now and I simply can't see us going without it.

It provides in-game feedback on suspicious behavior (players clipping through the world, new players moving large quantities of late game items in and out of their inventories), allow admins to replay a player's movements (by teleporting admin a few blocks at a time) and also check inventory changes within a certain range (by date) of a chest, door or any other block (e.g see player's wood or scrap metal increase as they smashed through into a building).

There are a ton of other features: PVE and PVP zones on the same server, prison, lobby, Minigames (like Arena or the Gimme command), bases with protection (teleport unfriended players away), separate economy with a currency that can be renamed, virtual shop.. the list goes on.

You can interface with the bot in-game or via IRC. We run Botman in Ubuntu VirtualBox and hook into it's IRC component via a webpage (using Shout).

Smegzor is always on the ball, quick to respond and has implemented a bunch of features we needed on OZ.NZ. Not that he needs it, but I can definitely vouch for this guy
    Last edited by mythan; 10-08-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Scavenger
    OH boy my man, i just sign up for ur hosting. i wanna know what it does for me. is it like a website panel like the one in cbsm?
    i love u dude

does it like work like web panel for me to mange the all the features for the manger without all the complicated setup stuff
    Last edited by DaPope; 10-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Reconstructionist
    Few screenshots would be nice.

What i dont undersand, we can download the complete source self and should pay for something that you are hosting ?

i mean its ok for paying a service but not if others can download and install this self without your hosting.

i have self a server but i dont know much about to install this.

Took me a while to figure it out,

But i did the ingame setup.

Definitely need better instructions on how to setup stuff, I have like 5 sheets of paper in front of me with commands lol.

A Dashboard would be amazing good and easier to use at least for setup.

Thanks

Survivor
    This bot is awesome! I used it when i was running a server and anytime I had questions or concerns, Smegzor was always willing to help me out! Even takes your suggestions to improve the bot even more!

I got spoiled by this bot - and now only play on Servers that use it!

Quote Originally Posted by thomtree View Post

What i dont undersand, we can download the complete source self and should pay for something that you are hosting ?

i mean its ok for paying a service but not if others can download and install this self without your hosting.

Maybe not everyone is tech savy. Plus he does alot of work on this - and when there are updates yes, you can do it yourself. Or you can be hosted by him and not have to worry about it. Not to mention just the support he will offer you is worth the small fee!

Reconstructionist
    Sure good service should be paid for.
    but i will try to install it self.

Maybe anyone can record a install video ? i use ubuntu the first time -.- its very hard. Im good with windows but not with other.

My first problem:

in the install guide on http://www.botman.nz/docs/guides/install-guide

Step 2

i should install few things.

- mariadb-server --

i cant find mariadb-server in the software center

Step 3

1) -> i dont understand.. i have the hex editor and open the file but i see only numbers.

2. ) Work around defaults by using the `/etc/hosts` file to redirect `irc.freenode.net` and change `bot_profile.xml` code to allow using #mudlet channel.

i change etc hosts file
    irc.freenode.net localhost
    chat.freenode.net localhost

is this right ?

and now i should change something in bot_profile.xml.
    can you explain better ? i find nothing about mudlet to allow or set to true or false or something else

----

this is not a install guide.. its not user friendly :-(
    Last edited by thomtree; 10-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Sorry about that. The instructions will be improved when I have time. I want to record some videos. It would make the job of documenting the process easier for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thomtree View Post

Well as many have pointed out its not easy to install. Steps are underway to address that (a Docker container and some video guides). The hosting service is a lot easier for everyone, myself included and it is a managed service. It has been online only a few days and it has already covered its costs.

Refugee
    I have been using CBSM for a little while but reliability has always been questionable and it seems dead in the water. So I'm looking for an alternative. Running my own dedicated machine for server management is inconvenient for me so I'm going to be giving your hosted service a try.

Does Botman support blocking players by country? The vast majority of hackers seem to come from China.

Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    I have been using CBSM for a little while but reliability has always been questionable and it seems dead in the water. So I'm looking for an alternative. Running my own dedicated machine for server management is inconvenient for me so I'm going to be giving your hosted service a try.

Does Botman support blocking players by country? The vast majority of hackers seem to come from China.
    Yes it does. It has a very large list of Chinese IP ranges. It considers Hong Kong to be Chinese as well and blocks them. It learns new IP ranges on its own. If a player joins and isn't on its list of China IP's it does a DNS lookup on their IP. If the DNS record is Chinese or has a Chinese address the new IP range is added to the list and that player is treated the same as other Chinese players. The bot can be told to ban or exile those players. Exile is a location that you define generally near the edge of the map and far from players that acts like prison. Players can play normally in it but they can't leave it. Also players under any punishment (prison, exile or timeout) are not able to command the bot, it ignores them.

The bot can also detect proxies. If it is a new proxy, the bot records and reports it and it is up to you to view the DNS record (it is saved as a text file in a folder called proxies). You can add the proxy to a special list in the bot and tell the bot what action to take (generally ban or exile).

Support for adding other countries or even having an inverse list where say only US players can play is partially implemented but won't take much for me to complete.

The bot also has its own whitelist. It is not the server's whitelist. All it does is exempts a player from the proxy check, the IP check and from the ping kicker.
    Last edited by Smegzor; 10-09-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Reconstructionist
    I try to buy a month.. but your paypal does not work without a credit card..... I have never problems with my paypal account and money

* Update -> it works

Workaround.

Log in in your account on botmanhosting and go your invoices and paid there with the paypal logo. Then it works with your credit without a creditcard
    Last edited by thomtree; 10-09-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Need a little help with setting up Lobby for new players to go to when they first get on server.

Thanks

Got it thanks Smegzor
    Last edited by Larns; 10-09-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Looking to get this bot going on a server from LowLatencyServers. Is there information how to install this on a rented server?

Quote Originally Posted by skyhunter View Post
    Looking to get this bot going on a server from LowLatencyServers. Is there information how to install this on a rented server?
    It can't be run directly on a game host such as LowLatency, Bluefang et al. The bot is a desktop app so you need a full OS to run it which is not a service they offer. The bot connects remotely via telnet the same as CBSM. You can host it on a desktop PC or on a server running Linux with a desktop installed. The version that gives the least problems is Ubuntu 14.04 You can have problems with access to the database on 16.04 so avoid that one.

If its too much effort for you, you could get me to host your bot for you at botmanhosting.com
    You can try it out for a month and if its not for you, you'll have at least avoided going to the trouble of setting up a computer for it.