View Poll Results: What do YOU really want after listening to Joel answer the questions of volume 1?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • A two month dev cycle for A16 with fewer features.

57 62.64%
  • A six month dev cycle for A16 with more features.

34 37.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 16 Q&A with Madmole: Volume 2

Alpha 16 Q&A with Madmole: Volume 2

Questions and Answers with Madmole is back and we have some nice cushy seats all reserved for you on the Alpha 16 hype train. Madmole will answer these questions in a future video.

Rules

1) One question per person. Period. Additional questions will be deleted so ask your best one first if you plan to be a rule breaker.

2) Please do not answer anyone else's question. This is not a discussion thread. Simply ask your question, step to the left, and receive your soup.

3) Keep the questions focused on Alpha 16 or on "behind the scenes" development curiosity.

4) Watch past Q&A videos and read the current thread and do not post duplicate questions. Questions that have been asked and answered will be moved to the already answered thread.

Past Q&A Videos

Alpha 16 Q&A Vol 1 Video

And Finally....

Q: When is Alpha 16 going to be released?
    A: When it's done.
    Last edited by Roland; 10-13-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Community Moderator Red Eagle LXIX's Avatar
    Q: Will the mapping system get some attention in Alpha 16? There are numerous bugs in the overlay for it, and worse in the tracking (one such that if you explore only new areas for the Neil Armstrong achievement, your map will have wiped such that you will have only 1/6th the 1000 km visible on the map (less than 162 km)).

Refugee
    When will cars conform to the terrain and are there any plans to have them appear in any other orientations or conditions? (e.g. upside down, burning, smashed into a pole)

About undead animals: If the wolves make it in, will their zombie counterpart make it in as well and what difference will there be between zombie dogs and zombie wolves?
    Last edited by Roland; 10-11-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Ranger
    Hi Madmole! Last week you mentioned some improvements to melee combat you are thinking of but I do not see how these are going to be usable during the Bloodmoon hordes, as wading down into a pit of running zombies to take them on in hand-to-hand combat is suicide. What we really need is a melee weapon that can be used from a safe position like on top of a wall; I previously suggested a pike but other polearms like halberds or glaives would work as well. Is this something you would consider?

Ranger
    Question
    Are sleepers going to be regular zombie strength and the danger comes from being taken by surprise, or will they be extra strong as well? Are they going to be hidden or somehow sneaky, or can we just run up and club every corpse we see on the floor and be pretty much OK?

Hey MM, it really shows that this game is a labor of love. Like a hiker climbing a mountain because it is there, you're making this game because you want it to exist.

I haven't read much about sleepers, so forgive me if my question makes no sense. As I understand it they will be corpses that look lootable but wake up and try to eat your face.
    Last edited by Roland; 10-11-2016 at 02:33 AM.

Refugee
    My question is if we could get a diving suit or something we could use to submerge faster and would have an increased amount of oxygen?

Hey MM i really enjoy A15. I can finally run the game on high quality instead of low.
    Ty for posting videos on YT
    Last edited by Roland; 10-13-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: one question

Madmole, can we please have a regular van dyke goatee? Pretty please? (you know regular type goatee not the shaggy one)

Great work on A15, its literally the only thing I play. You guys are awesome!
    Last edited by exidous; 10-10-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Tracker
    Question
    What is the use of using steel for pickaxes if the iron pickaxe is going to swing faster and still 2 shot stone?~33% less mining time with iron compared to steel. I feel it needs to go back to the old way where steel had the advantage of 1 shotting stone. Are we going to see a proper fix to this imbalance so that steel is better to use than iron for pickaxes?

As discussed in the thread Thread: Miner 69er & 600 Quality Steel Pickaxe

I have heard you argument about 1 shotting trees but that is a bad comparison considering trees have 1200 durability compared to stones 600 durability. (not a balanced comparison)
    Last edited by Roland; 10-13-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: too long and too confrontational

Scavenger
    Have you considered putting random shallow Graves throughout the map, in backyards, behind businesses etc that will spawn sleepers if you get too close? Or arms that will reach out from the dirt with a chance to break your leg?
    Last edited by courgi; 10-10-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Have you considered a volumetric air filtration system? (a la Space Engineers) It would be a good way of delaying the building of massive, super-safe underground bunkers, without preventing players from actually making them by gating the technology needed behind more mid to end-game machines.
    Last edited by Roland; 10-11-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: would the volume have to be measured metrically? :p

Scavenger
    It's strange that there aren't any fire mechanics in the game - wood burning, fire spreading etc.
    Is it planned or not?
    Last edited by Roland; 10-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Great work MM and TFP

I would like to know if TFP have considered offering any internships in the development of 7days. You could have a competition and offer a couple of "unpaid" internships to the winner(s) to help spread the workload. Having an internship on your resume from such a strong presence as TFP would be a definite plus.

This could free up some labor for more critical features....

just a thought
    Last edited by lesipher; 10-11-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: I changed my mind

Tracker
    Thank you for one of the best games out there.

You did mention that diferent types of meat will return in the future. Is that something we can hope for in a16 if you take as much time as you need?

All i want to say is take your time with A16, if it takes 6 months... let it.

Question
    Now that the game is adding more perks, is there any chance we will see a player level increase or more quests that give skill points (like recurrent quests generated by the game, the current quests in game are a bit too rare to find) so that players can purchase every perk?

I think a lot of player enjoy playing as long as they can and try to "max" out their player. It is a game in itself, it can take a long time to finish off all skills and by then i would hope i can unlock all perks.

Suggestion
    Quest could be something like "kill x amount of entity" or "eat/craft/scrap...ect x amount)
    After you finish the quest, the next one is a larger number. Like a kill 10k zombies as the finial zombie quest.
    5, 10, 20...ect
    Last edited by Roland; 10-13-2016 at 06:04 PM.