Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsil View Post
    Actually, I kind of like it random. It's not like the game is unplayable or unfun without calipers.
    Well, after 75 days without a calipers, I would respectfully disagree. The lack of calipers, by then, was annoying me and detracting from the fun - for me anyway.

Well, I survived night 63. The prison base is half torn to hell, but I managged the attacks by not sitting in one spot defending, but by moving to several different spots so no one defense was so torn up it was lost. I also burned through all my steel reinforcing, but I also snagged a complete sniper rifle, so the night was beneficial.

I turn off loot respond to force myself to explore more, and I upped zombie spawning to 125%, as well as doing 120 days and 60 minute nights. (I kind of wish night and day speed were independently adjustable.)

Fun times, and still no die or calipers.

Survivor
    HUAHAHAHAH! I just got 'em on day 40 (!), when I was already close to giving up and cheating them in! I've killed numerous lumberjacks for the sole purpose of finding them, looted all revealed locations of Working Stiff crates and all supply crates I've got. NO LUCK! But this time I went to explore the map with only calipers in mind and was rewarded: I've found a red Sedan near a church with a graveyard near Diersville, and it contained precisely just them! AHAHAAA, steel arrows here I come!

After discovering the auger, I care a lot less about the calipers and die set.

I found a cave about 1 mile from my prison fort. 1/4 mile from the prison towards the cave, I also found a bunker! Today I tunneled from the cave all the way to the bunker, finding two veins along the way. I fortified the bunker building, tossed in sone vault doors, and started working the mine. Plan is to also tunnel right below the prison base, and install a vault hatch. After that, I can easily leave the prison on a horde night, and see how the bunker fortification holds up. Or leave that and safely head to the cave entrance. I'll put a second minibike fueled up there in case I need a get quick getaway.

There's something way cool about seeing torches around a cave entrance in the distance, and knowing you tunneled the entire distance.

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    Well, after 75 days without a calipers, I would respectfully disagree. The lack of calipers, by then, was annoying me and detracting from the fun - for me anyway.
    OK you have a point. I have to admit that I was angry before finding them. However, the euphoria of finding them after searching for so long, sort of offset that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsil View Post
    OK you have a point. I have to admit that I was angry before finding them. However, the euphoria of finding them after searching for so long, sort of offset that.
    I was about 90% "It's about bloody time" and only about 10% "Eureka!" I'd have to say.

Zombie Hunter
    How about making Calipers a 4th tier Steel Smithing perk recipe?
    Takes some steel, some mechanical parts, and maybe something else to keep it from being easily obtained balance-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRitual View Post
    Takes some steel, some mechanical parts, and maybe something else to keep it from being easily obtained balance-wise.
    I like that idea. It would give the player some certainty, like "ok, if you're that unlucky that you haven't found one by the time you can afford this perk, then here's the perk".

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    I like that idea. It would give the player some certainty, like "ok, if you're that unlucky that you haven't found one by the time you can afford this perk, then here's the perk".
    I agree, that would be a great way of dealing with it. I'm only on day 8 in my new game and not in need of them yet, but I'm also way down south past the trader in the Desert by the new canyon.

Refugee
    i totaly disagree I rather wanna see a change %increase for the caliper to drop or more a higher change for a trader to have that item. I understand the need of an challenge and some of us want to have a reason to grind or to loot every freakin lootbox/container but some of us DONT WANT THAT and i suffer because of ppl like you asking for this constantly making my gameplay worse and unapealing sry lads but thats just my opinion on this so dont hate me but rather bring up constructive criticism or suggestions
    Last edited by MrR0ket0; 10-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Ranger
    With specs coming post a16 I expect everything to be craftable with enough skill points

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRitual View Post
    I agree except that it should be since tier three. The current tier 3 is just a waste of points.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    That's not a bad idea. Adding calipers would make Steel Smithing 3 much more palatable/justifiable. Or we could revisit an earlier idea I had, and move bullets and other precision metalworking to a new machinist press workstation.

I wouldn't mind a new bullet making station as the gate.

While I can survive wit shotgun shells, arrows, and salvaged ammo, it would be nice to be able to use the points towards weapons skill upgrading. Right now it's pretty worthless, since I can't make much ammo, but it also forces me to play smarter as well, so I don't mind terribly.

I've now connect the mine a mile away with a bunker 2 blocks from my prison base, and I've tunneled now underneath the base. At night I can literally travel underground a mile away if I need to.

I've found a few veins or iron along the way... coal and potassium have also been scarce, so I'm hoping to find deposits while mining.