Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preplaced mines are stupid and ruining all the fun for no good reason

Survivor

Preplaced mines are stupid and ruining all the fun for no good reason

Seriously? Mines in the wasteland? Mines in a freaking strip-club??? Mines around and in military compounds? People complain "freaks sit in their bases on stilts/underground w/ no risk whatsoever" and you just put in a reason not to ever go out and explore or scavenge?? On paper the only justified location for them is military compounds, but nope, just think about it: obviously the army was overrun, so what is the reason for the mines to persist through the onslaught? Mines placed prior to the collapse of a particular compound should explode from contact with the zombies, and later the turned soldiers should trip all over the rest.

Remove all random and preplaced mines please.

Sounds like someone stepped on one...

Well, lesiphers rather unkind post aside, I can't say I agree with you on this on ZzZombo.

The occasional mine - and they pretty occasional - keeps me on my toes, and is and added element, particularly for certain POI's and Wastelands terrain (which has some major rewards to it).

So, I personally hope they don't remove them.

Survivor
    Thanks for kind replies, great 7DtD forum community! I appreciate that, and all your posts were on point regarding me stepping on mines. Wait... I didn't? I spotted them in the strip club and didn't spend much time in the wasteland, the only incident happened around a military camp, because I was backpedaling from a day roaming horde. But you are right regardless, how dare I pop from my hole WITH MY HORRENDOUS REPUTATION? I should be ashamed to ever THINK about that! Nowhere else I would think digital points would invalidate my opinion so strongly as it does so here.

Reconstructionist
    well you do have zero rep power

Discussing a person's rep power is completely off-topic and frankly the epitome of trollish behavior. Rep power is simply a measure of popularity and so pointing that out as a counter to his argument is a bit too High School for my comfort. Please desist this line of conversation.

--Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 11-03-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by ZzZombo View Post
    Thanks for kind replies, great 7DtD forum community! I appreciate that, and all your posts were on point regarding me stepping on mines. Wait... I didn't? I spotted them in the strip club and didn't spend much time in the wasteland, the only incident happened around a military camp, because I was backpedaling from a day roaming horde. But you are right regardless, how dare I pop from my hole WITH MY HORRENDOUS REPUTATION? I should be ashamed to ever THINK about that! Nowhere else I would think digital points would invalidate my opinion so strongly as it does so here.
    Dont mind them, they are just showing off how awesome they are at 7d2d. You know the type, hardcore players that have zombies run all the time, but usually spawn in guns and drop nothing on death.

Tracker
    Well, I guess life just isnt fair in a zombie apocalypse... Take some midol, pull up your big boy pants, keep playing, and be more cautious from now on. You should have known a military compound would have them. They've been there for as long as I've played. The wasteland ones and strip club ones are new, and they've never got me, but if they did, I wouldnt come here and cry about it. They were supposed to nerf them a little so they wouldnt instakill, though. I dont know if they have.

If not, maybe one of the modders can help you out and make you a little bitch mode with no mines.
    Last edited by rokhard; 11-03-2016 at 03:19 AM.

Reconstructionist
    Yeah, I started bumbling onto a few (cooking pot mines) in the Wasteland. The other biomes so far have been clear of this stuff.

Similarly, the strip club in the desert biome - no mines, no chem station, just some strippers to remind me I should be doing something other than gaming all the time.
    After day 100, and the associated wellness and armour these mines become of little consequence, but if you're in that biome in the early game, then yeah, they will be hurting your game badly.

In short - go elsewhere until you are stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurogo View Post
    Sounds like someone stepped on one...
    Okay first.... let me get this out.

HAAAAAhahahahahahahaha!!!!

Okay.... I'm better now.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Suuuuuumbuddy stepppped on wuuuun.

Zombo you can edit the XML to be able to pick them up again if you really want.
    Just add this line:

Code:
    <property name="CanPickup" value="true" />
    Now the game is fun again? O.o
    Last edited by LuckyStar; 11-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyStar View Post
    Okay first.... let me get this out.

HAAAAAhahahahahahahaha!!!!

Okay.... I'm better now.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Suuuuuumbuddy stepppped on wuuuun.

Zombo you can edit the XML the be able to pick them up again if you really want.
    Just add this line:

Code:
    <property name="CanPickup" value="true" />
    Now the game is fun again? O.o
    That's a handy tip. Harvesting land mines was the biggest reason I went to the military compounds.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Seriously? Mines in the wasteland? Mines in a freaking strip-club??? Mines around and in military compounds? People complain "freaks sit in their bases on stilts/underground w/ no risk whatsoever" and you just put in a reason not to ever go out and explore or scavenge?? On paper the only justified location for them is military compounds, but nope, just think about it: obviously the army was overrun, so what is the reason for the mines to persist through the onslaught? Mines placed prior to the collapse of a particular compound should explode from contact with the zombies, and later the turned soldiers should trip all over the rest.

To answer your questions, the mines are only in the wasteland, besides specific points of interest. So it may be a reason to not go out and explore one purposefully dangerous biome, but not to eschew exploration in general. The justification is that the mines are placed by bandits, after the apocalypse event.

I remember most people in the dev diary were against the idea when Madmole said there would be random mines. Now that I have a minibike and have made a bridge across the huge lake, I'm dipping my toe in the wasteland more often. So far, I've only stepped on a mine once. It surprised me for sure, but only took away half my health. Since there were no other threats at the time, I recovered fine. I believe I was wearing nothing better than green cloth armor at the time. So in my experience so far, they've been no worse than an annoyance.

The plan is to eventually be able to disarm them and that with armor they will not auto-kill you. You might make a case for removing them until we have the ability to disarm them and/or armor works against them but then again duke tokens were in the game for quite awhile before we could use them as currency as was poop and spoiled meat before we could craft them into fertilizer. The Pimps implement things piecemeal sometimes and you just have to roll with the punches. The game is in development and the random landmines and POI placed landmines are a piece of the ongoing development process.

Nomad
    landmine was my first death in my first A15 seed, over 2 weeks in. The scrap-walled bandit-looking POI in a town. Got too excited opening a door to see a big gun safe and didnt notice the air-filter mine in front of it.....

It only annoyed me as it was my first death in that seed and i didnt know mines were placed anywhere aside from military camps. After the moment passed i chuckled at the situation as a nice addition to the game and gave the devs a virtual hat-tip.

As long as you have >80hp (and some stuff to heal you) the wasteland is "fine" for the mines.

I do agree that's not a good move to do NOW, because as explained roland, armor do not protect you correctly (blast isn't included, like fire or radiation, along glove and boot being useless and stacking armor reducing your survivability).

The way to go, beside learning where they are in POI, is to get put your hand into healing item and raise your wellness. Then you will be happy to find mines as it's a quick way to raise your armor skill.

Colony Founder
    i completly avoud the wasteland. landmines suck. i canīt deceide if i just find it effin stupid or if it is a superlazy way to add "challenge". either way if this stays no more wasteland i have no interest in avoinding mines. they are fine around armycamps and a funny thing in the "boobie trap" but them just lying around on the ground is disgusting . if wasteland is needed. well. i am still not going there.

and no i did not step on one.