Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on zed tweaks

Need guidance on zed tweaks

I'm mainly looking for guidance to which XMLs I need to edit.

I would like to make the following tweaks to make zeds behave more like the classic movie genre:

1. Walk only
    2. Head shots only. Other shots do no damage but can cripple. (This sounds overly complex but I would be willing to lose the ability to cripple if head shot only worked)
    3. No special abilities like cop puke or super fast football player/feral.
    4. No wasps.
    5. Headshots include all melee weapons and tools.

It would be cool if leg damage rendered zeds crippled. I'm assuming I have to choose between leg damage and head damage or none so this may be impossible to do.

Any input by the modding community for this newb modder would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedBullfrog View Post

1. Walk only
    A. Change NightWanderSpeed and NightApproachSpeed in entityclasses.xml
    2. Head shots only. Other shots do no damage but can cripple. (This sounds overly complex but I would be willing to lose the ability to cripple if head shot only worked)
    A. Not possible with xml only mod. I've not seen any dll mods yet.
    3. No special abilities like cop puke or super fast football player/feral.
    A. Change the HandItem on the cop and the speed of the football player in entityclasses.xml.
    4. No wasps.
    A. Remove them from all the spawn groups in entitygroups.xml
    5. Headshots include all melee weapons and tools.
    A. See A. #2.
    I hope this helps.

A tweak to make it seem like only head shots work is to raise all of the zombies health by a ton. Add a 0 to the end of each number. Then go through each weapon and item and raise damagebonushead for each one. This way when you attack the main body it will do very very little damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SanguumRides View Post
    A tweak to make it seem like only head shots work is to raise all of the zombies health by a ton. Add a 0 to the end of each number. Then go through each weapon and item and raise damagebonushead for each one. This way when you attack the main body it will do very very little damage.
    Hmmm! Never thought of it that way. It would take a lot of balancing from guns to melee, but should work. Great idea!

Great info! I'll start looking through those files and figure things out.

You guys are awesome, thanks!

Just to add my own two cents you /can/ make headshots super lethal and make body shots do jack all.

<property name="DamageBonus.head" value="10 />
    <property name="DamageBonus.body" value="0.6" />

In this example headshots will do 10x their base damage. Body shows will only do 60% of their base damage. You can lower or increase these values to what you want. So if you wanted to make zombies almost immune to body damage you could set the body value to 0.1 - they'd only take 10% of the weapon damage if the shot lands on their body.

This would be a lot easier than making balance changes to health and damage.

Thanks Valmar! Does this mean leg shots or passive defense damage would no longer turn zeds into crawlers?

It probably will since those things are not only caused by damage. Limbs dismemberment is caused I think by the dismemberment chance and even if it only deals 1 damage it can dismember a limb if it rolls that chance.

Passive defenses like spikes deal damage differently, if you want them to not kill zeds probably should remove their damage and damage buffs entirely or change them to only slow them. Not entirely sure but there are probably options here to change how spikes work.

Giving zombies a load more HP and making headshots deal a load more damage should also nerf spikes a lot but they would still kill zombies at some point.

Passive defenses wont be changed by this, if you're referring to spikes and such.

It also will have no effect on limb damage.

Far as I know zombies dont actually take damage when you hit their limbs. Though they might have changed that in A15.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    Passive defenses wont be changed by this, if you're referring to spikes and such.

It also will have no effect on limb damage.

Far as I know zombies dont actually take damage when you hit their limbs. Though they might have changed that in A15.
    Sounds perfect! I'll do the necessary tweaks and report back with results.

You're probably right about the zombie damage taken when limbs are hit.

I made all of the changes suggested above, except for DamageBonus.body because I cannot find any such tag in items.xml.

Am I looking in the wrong file or does that value no longer exist?

Quote Originally Posted by ZedBullfrog View Post
    I made all of the changes suggested above, except for DamageBonus.body because I cannot find any such tag in items.xml.

Am I looking in the wrong file or does that value no longer exist?
    You are in the right area.
    ex: <property name="DamageBonus.body" value="200" /> works.
    using the example above I can bash a zombie in the head with a crappy club a few times before delivering the final blow. The same club and using the example above I can 1 shot zombies hitting the body.
    Last edited by Tin; 11-28-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    You are in the right area.
    ex: <property name="DamageBonus.body" value="200" /> works.
    using the example above I can bash a zombie in the head with a crappy club a few times before delivering the final blow. The same club and using the example above I can 1 shot zombies hitting the body.
    I did a text search for DamageBonus.body and got no results. I'll try again in case I mistyped...

- - - Updated - - -

An unwanted side effect of increasing the head damage of all items seems to be that inflicting enough damage to a zombie causes it to disappear and not change into a gore block.

I think I need to tune it down a bit...

*Side effect* hehe, that's one way of of removing a resource drain :P
    Anyhow.. I tried it out a few times and it works just fine. The reason I tried it out was, I was actually hoping it was referencing the hit mask locations in the buff.xml but it doesn't work for the arms or legs

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    *Side effect* hehe, that's one way of of removing a resource drain :P
    Anyhow.. I tried it out a few times and it works just fine. The reason I tried it out was, I was actually hoping it was referencing the hit mask locations in the buff.xml but it doesn't work for the arms or legs
    It works for you? Are you getting a lootable gore block after you kill a zed?

It's kind of immersion breaking when a zombie evaporates into thin air when you shoot them with a shotgun.