Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on zed tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by ZedBullfrog View Post
    It works for you? Are you getting a lootable gore block after you kill a zed?

It's kind of immersion breaking when a zombie evaporates into thin air when you shoot them with a shotgun.
    Haven't tested it with a shotgun but it is probably the "Magazine_item_ray_counts" that is causing your issue. I Know it works for pistols, ak47, MP5 and Magnum (Haven't tried it with the bow or blunder either). If you give it a bonus then each ray that hits the target gets that bonus as well.

Might be whats causing the vapor issue.

I just to clarify that the DamageBonus.body is not present in the vanilla code. You wont find it by searching for it. But it definitely works. I use it in my Valmod Horde Edition and CHS mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    I just to clarify that the DamageBonus.body is not present in the vanilla code. You wont find it by searching for it. But it definitely works. I use it in my Valmod Horde Edition and CHS mod.
    That solves the mystery. I just need to add the code for body damage. I'll also look over the "ray_counts" and see what needs to be done there.

Thanks a ton guys!!

All recommended changes have been made and it happens that I had a horde night! Day 70 to be exact.

I didn't realize how much body damage had a factor before my changes! If you miss a headshot the zeds keep coming until you don't! This is exactly the gameplay I was looking for!

So far I don't miss cop vomit or fast moving football players and ferals.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Could you post what method you ended up going with? I would like to do this as well.

In some cases below (like 'ApproachSpeed') you may need to change the same value several times across zombies. I used the find function and evaluated each one at a time to make sure the change made sense.

To make the Football Player and Feral zeds walk at the same speed as all others, I found these values in entityclasses.xml and made them all the same. The only zombie I left at a faster speed was Zombie Dogs:

<property name="NightWanderSpeed" value="0.08" />
    <property name="NightApproachSpeed" value="0.2" />

In the same file, I changed the following value for the Zombie Cop. This is the normal zombie attack and removes his ability to spit acid:

<property name="HandItem" value="handZombie" />

Same file again, I decided to remove the zombie ability to climb ladders:

<property name="CanClimbLadders" value="false" />

If you want to remove the Spider Zombie ability to climb walls, change this value for that type from 'true' to 'false':

<property name="CanClimbVertical" value="false" />

Now, onto items.xml. This is where I made the change to all weapons (or items I wanted to be useful as weapons like the Fireaxe) so they do very little damage to the body of the zeds but more head damage.

Search for the following text and make adjustments for each item:

<property name="DamageBonus.head" value="10" />

I used 10 as a maximum for more powerful weapons like Sniper Rifle and Spiked Club and chose something less than 10 based on how powerful I wanted the item to be. For instance, the Torch is a 2.

After editing the 'DamageBonus.head' I added the following line beneath it:

<property name="DamageBonus.body" value=".1" />

This makes the body able to take a lot of damage and makes it a very inefficient way to kill a zed. Head shots only!

At the same time, they still react to body shots and take leg damage from all weapons and traps and can become crawlers. Pretty cool!

The last thing I did was to open 'entitygroups.xml' and removed all lines referring to 'Hornet' so they no longer spawn at all.

The horde I got that night was fun in that all of the zombie traits I found to be immersion-breaking were gone. I also had to be really accurate with my weapons to avoid wasting a lot of ammunition. Very "Walking Dead" feel so far, which was the idea!

Cops make their hulkish noises, but don't charge, spit, or explode.

Bye-bye hornets and zombies moon-walking up walls!

I haven't take the time to remove Spider screams yet, but if I do I'll post that here a well.

Happy hunting!

@ZedBullfrog

Prepping my server for a new run through, went through and applied what you posted above.
    Cranked the difficulty to Insane.. OH MY GOD.

Thanking you.

Cool, it was the headshots I was looking for; wasn't sure which suggestion was the easiest, but that one seems sound. Mwahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmar View Post
    Just to add my own two cents you /can/ make headshots super lethal and make body shots do jack all.

<property name="DamageBonus.head" value="10 />
    <property name="DamageBonus.body" value="0.6" />

In this example headshots will do 10x their base damage. Body shows will only do 60% of their base damage. You can lower or increase these values to what you want. So if you wanted to make zombies almost immune to body damage you could set the body value to 0.1 - they'd only take 10% of the weapon damage if the shot lands on their body.

This would be a lot easier than making balance changes to health and damage.
    Thanks for this great bit of info, it encouraged me finally to tweak the amount of body damage it takes to kill a zombie, which supports me "roleplaying" to always go with headshots, even if it makes fighting harder.

I went with 0.5 multiplier to start with, and might tune it lower eventually, when we (me and my girlfriend) first get used to it.
    Only weapons I left without the malus are Shotguns, as they have been turned into "AOE debuffing weapons" now anyway, so they don't do much with headshots, but slow the zombies down (IF the debuff actually works), allowing for some extra tactical options when fighting in hub cities for example.

This coupled with 10% loot and night/day speeds turned around (well, tripled day speeds and old day speeds for nights, actually) makes the game much more intense and exciting. Now every shot counts, as ammo is always running low in early to mid game.

Great thread with great advice, once again. Thanks guys. :-)
    Last edited by Henshaw; 11-30-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Reasons.

Now I kinda wish limb shots did have a chance to blow them off. On a slow day I can see myself shooting a bunch of arms offand seeinbg if they could still swing at me.

I think I want increased head damage as well now.

I am considering tuning head damage down a bit. I get ALOT of heads exploding regardless of which weapon I am using.

It makes sense for the shotgun, but a crossbow bolt causing a head to explode is kinda weird.

Do any of you modders know if the head exploding bonus is tied to damage or just chance?

I am considering tuning head damage down a bit. I get ALOT of heads exploding regardless of which weapon I am using.

It makes sense for the shotgun, but a crossbow bolt causing a head to explode is kinda weird.

Do any of you modders know if the head exploding bonus is tied to damage or just chance?
    What difficulty do you have the game set to?

Should be possible. I believe.

Add this to the arrows/bolts attributes:

<property name="DismembermentBaseChance" value="0,0"/>

That should make it impossible for them to cause dismemberment. I think. Never tried but I assume it does.

Bad thing about the headshot methodology is that now, because it's applied to the weapons, it also means animals, bandits and followers also all require headshots. And players, I imagine.

I'm not sure I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Bad thing about the headshot methodology is that now, because it's applied to the weapons, it also means animals, bandits and followers also all require headshots. And players, I imagine.

I'm not sure I like that.
    I slowed the dogs running speed down because of it. I dropped the approach speed to 1.1.
    As for animals, rabbit (and Im assuming chicken, by default) seem to have a rather large head hitbox. (so non issue)

The Stag and pig are tricker, but it makes the hunting that little bit more fun (IMO) to be sneakier for that headshot.(just positioning more than anything, didnt find it any harder than shooting them in the ass and chasing after them, or exploiting the distance range where you can shot and they dont move).

Im not using bandits yet, but wouldnt the changes also apply to the damage they apply to the player?

To balance it out on insane and high spawns, I altered the starting receipes of arrows to give 2 instead of 1. (only for bow)
    Made a secondary moldy bread recipe that can be made with cornbread + water in campfire cooking pot. Gave a time of 10 minutes I think.
    Wooden club and stone axe are next to useless as weapons. (even though they still do body damage)

Unless you have a barbed club, spiked club, machete, or at minimum a pistol... Houses and towns, very scary places.
    And whatever you do, dont get caught in a room with a bloated walker or higher with just a bow.... You Dead.