Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [12/14] Message from the Team - Re Multiplayer Issues

Zombie Hunter
    We'll put silven.

Community Moderator MutilatorJuice's Avatar
    No kidding. Speech Skill +10 Points

Quote Originally Posted by SilvenWolf View Post
    7DTD is not your typical multiplayer game, most multiplayer games do not have to contend with large sandbox areaís that can be fully destroyed, or new builds made, most multiplayer games are dealing with small packets of information.

7DTD appears to require a far larger transfer of data, and as the HOSTs console is the actual server, multiplayer will have a bearing on the Host playerís internet connection and set up (ISP and router type as well as config or router)

Just jumping on here and stating multiplayer works on other games and not on 7DTD is not a reason to not look at your internet, router, configuration, upload speeds etcÖ.

A lot of standard ADSL connections limit the upload speed to around 750kb to 1Meg max, even if your download is 20meg plus, unless you are on a fibre connection, which offers greater uploads, your upload speeds will have a bearing on your multiplayer connections.

It has been reported by the devs that for a 2 player game, the host ideally needs a minimum of 1meg upload, going up to 2meg for 3 players and 3meg for 4 players.

The host needs to be the one with the greatest upload. For those that can connect but not stay in game for long, this is likely to be a factor for 7DTD.

It has also been identified that certain router types struggle with this level of requirement, it has also been reported that changing your ISP has resulted in fixing the multiplayer issues. Therefor pointing to the ISPís policies being a factor.

If the basis of your irk is that you can play multiplayer on other games and not this and you are not prepared to or have the ability to interrogate or investigate these other factors, then you will continue to be unable to play until the Devs can work out why a majority of players can play and you cant. If you have not provided information about your set up and online configurations, then it is highly likely that future fixes may not address your set up.

Whether you think you should have to do this or not is irrelevant, if you donít provide information to the devs, then they will take longer to identify your issue if at all, the answer might be simple if more info was provided, you could be just a couple of network tweaks away from playing or understanding if you can or not.

As most players do not have these multiplayer issues, you canít just rack up here and complain at the dev. It is obvious it is not so simple if it works or not as it works fine for a majority of users. Therefore it is just as likely that there is another contributing factor as to why you canít play multiplayer.
    Your explanation is factual to an extent and very informative to the majority of your audience.

I personally run a fiber connection, average around 90MB down and 5-6MB up on a high-end Asus router.

I am CompTia A+, CompTia Net+ Certified, with a handful of Microsoft Certifications as well, so I am confident in most of my information.

All that being said, I typically host our 7DTD sessions because of my knowledge and setup of my network. We still experience multiplayer issues, kicks, unable to connect, perpetual waiting for server, straight up game crash and so forth. It is frustrating for everyone, myself and my fellow survivors. I have taken the stand that TFP need as much information as possible to be able to rectify underlying issues with their development of this game. So I will do my part to assist as long as the game holds my attention SQUIRREL!

Please don't take it that I am trying to shoot down SilvenWolfs post, I am not. I am simply pointing out that while the information he provided will clarify some things to some people, there are still issues with this game, and they need to be worked out. Until that is done, please people provide factual, thorough information for TFP. This will only help, don't come here screaming and crying, NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN TO A CRYBABY! :-) If we continue to do our part, they will continue to do theirs. And they have been doing theirs, this is seen through the patches they provide and the stability of the game with each patch.

Thank you SilvenWolf for your explanation, and please everyone do your part if you want to the see this game continue to succeed.

Scavenger
    I don't suppose we could get some details on specifically what online multiplayer issues they are looking into. We have a big community and I'm sure people would be more than happy to attack specific bugs if they had more information.

Quote Originally Posted by roughgalaxy View Post
    I don't suppose we could get some details on specifically what online multiplayer issues they are looking into. We have a big community and I'm sure people would be more than happy to attack specific bugs if they had more information.
    It's not perfect, but the more thorough the information you can provide on any issues we experience the easier it will be for them to sort through them.

Just an example:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...Bug-Game-Crash

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon757 View Post
    It's not perfect, but the more thorough the information you can provide on any issues we experience the easier it will be for them to sort through them.

Just an example:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...Bug-Game-Crash
    ah I'm following ya. I made a pretty detailed bug report today, I didn't realize there was an online multiplayer mega thread anywhere. it didn't show up when I did a search for my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by roughgalaxy View Post
    ah I'm following ya. I made a pretty detailed bug report today, I didn't realize there was an online multiplayer mega thread anywhere. it didn't show up when I did a search for my issue.
    Glad you found a thread that pertained to your issue.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvenWolf View Post
    7DTD is not your typical multiplayer game, most multiplayer games do not have to contend with large sandbox area’s that can be fully destroyed, or new builds made, most multiplayer games are dealing with small packets of information.

7DTD appears to require a far larger transfer of data, and as the HOSTs console is the actual server, multiplayer will have a bearing on the Host player’s internet connection and set up (ISP and router type as well as config or router)

Just jumping on here and stating multiplayer works on other games and not on 7DTD is not a reason to not look at your internet, router, configuration, upload speeds etc….

A lot of standard ADSL connections limit the upload speed to around 750kb to 1Meg max, even if your download is 20meg plus, unless you are on a fibre connection, which offers greater uploads, your upload speeds will have a bearing on your multiplayer connections.

It has been reported by the devs that for a 2 player game, the host ideally needs a minimum of 1meg upload, going up to 2meg for 3 players and 3meg for 4 players.

The host needs to be the one with the greatest upload. For those that can connect but not stay in game for long, this is likely to be a factor for 7DTD.

It has also been identified that certain router types struggle with this level of requirement, it has also been reported that changing your ISP has resulted in fixing the multiplayer issues. Therefor pointing to the ISP’s policies being a factor.

If the basis of your irk is that you can play multiplayer on other games and not this and you are not prepared to or have the ability to interrogate or investigate these other factors, then you will continue to be unable to play until the Devs can work out why a majority of players can play and you cant. If you have not provided information about your set up and online configurations, then it is highly likely that future fixes may not address your set up.

Whether you think you should have to do this or not is irrelevant, if you don’t provide information to the devs, then they will take longer to identify your issue if at all, the answer might be simple if more info was provided, you could be just a couple of network tweaks away from playing or understanding if you can or not.

As most players do not have these multiplayer issues, you can’t just rack up here and complain at the dev. It is obvious it is not so simple if it works or not as it works fine for a majority of users. Therefore it is just as likely that there is another contributing factor as to why you can’t play multiplayer.
    And what if i just got the game on pc today and can play multiplayer with no issues?
    The problem seems to be with the game and maybe what others have said, that ps4 doesnt seem to have the problem, is true, if so then it would seem to be the game and the xbox not cooperating in some way.
    correct me if im wrong i aint no computer/ electronic genius but if i can play on mostly maxed out settings on pc, and not have a problem connecting i cant see it being an internet issue

Edit: and i say connecting not hosting because on xbox i havent been able to join any games for around 6 months, but near the beginning and just recently i have been able to host with a couple of my friends.
    i get what youre saying that it puts a lot of strain on the host to run this game, but does that mean the reasonably low pings mean nothing?

that is a legitimate question
    Last edited by JrBradley; 01-31-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Scavenger
    Until that is done, please people provide factual, thorough information for TFP.
    Its telltale, Clare is our "middle man", but i dont know what information to give them, as i can connect on pc without issue. Its been so long since i have been able to play with my friends on xbox, i dont remember which patch it was that made it unplayable but it did work perfectly fine with the multiplayer when we had the building environment bug.

Scavenger
    one thing i forgot to mention is we were also wondering if it might be a Region issue, I live in canada and my friends i cannot connect to live in USA, though one of them is within a 6 hour drive from me

Zombie Hunter
    There is credence to the internet being the issue, more specifically ports or channels. I'm no expert but here is a little info from my weekend.

Decided I didn't want to pay 2 different bills for internet and cable TV.. decided to drop my DirecTV package and opt to go with Comcast for both, while also upping my internet package to a faster option. Saved me about a hundred a month.... While the tech was out replacing a bad line from the poll to the house, I told him my wifi has been slow... So he did something to my router, said something about channel 10, as nobody in my radius was using it. I must say, Netflix and wifi runs MUCH better and my speeds are now as advertised..... BUT.... Now my Xbox live dosent connect at all. Odd part is, I can still see who is online, but I cannot access the store or any live functions.

TL/DR cable guy sped up my service by fiddling with router settings. No longer can play online.

MORAL there are issues with the way the Xbox and router communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by JrBradley View Post
    Its telltale, Clare is our "middle man", but i dont know what information to give them, as i can connect on pc without issue. Its been so long since i have been able to play with my friends on xbox, i dont remember which patch it was that made it unplayable but it did work perfectly fine with the multiplayer when we had the building environment bug.
    To the best of my knowledge, TTG has nothing to do with troubleshooting the game, or scripting patches. The information we provide here to our middlewoman is then passed on to TFP, who in return research the bugs, look for the issue, then submit the patch.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by IBKillingfools View Post
    There is credence to the internet being the issue, more specifically ports or channels. I'm no expert but here is a little info from my weekend.

Decided I didn't want to pay 2 different bills for internet and cable TV.. decided to drop my DirecTV package and opt to go with Comcast for both, while also upping my internet package to a faster option. Saved me about a hundred a month.... While the tech was out replacing a bad line from the poll to the house, I told him my wifi has been slow... So he did something to my router, said something about channel 10, as nobody in my radius was using it. I must say, Netflix and wifi runs MUCH better and my speeds are now as advertised..... BUT.... Now my Xbox live dosent connect at all. Odd part is, I can still see who is online, but I cannot access the store or any live functions.

TL/DR cable guy sped up my service by fiddling with router settings. No longer can play online.

MORAL there are issues with the way the Xbox and router communicate.
    Yes, but the problem is not with connecting with live or with other games, its only with 7 days to die, and people have claimed its only with xbox as well

Scavenger
    To the best of my knowledge, TTG has nothing to do with troubleshooting the game, or scripting patches. The information we provide here to our middlewoman is then passed on to TFP, who in return research the bugs, look for the issue, then submit the patch.
    I was under the understanding that TFP has nothing to do with the game on console, not that im right, i read that in the forum here a while ago but i dont remember if it was from Clare or if it was just hearsay, though thats not really relevent with helping...

Maybe clare would be able to let us know what they are looking into and we could be more help to find the problem then. And i know clare said she tells us everything she knows. Maybe the team could be convinced as to suggest problems they are contemplating and we would be able to be more a help then

Refugee
    I think the problem is that some of us have been posting/waiting for a resolution for so long that even if we start out with intention to not be a douche we eventually turn into them. I think it'd be great if we had some direction as to things to try (settings to check on router for example) especially for those of us that are less technologically gifted!

I suspect the game is at fault only because I once could connect fine, and then after patch 2 could not. Any changes I have since made to my setup have been to try to solve the problem, but no game changes have been made to fix it. I've upgraded to fibre (£20pm extra) changed my router (£150). I've tried port forwarding, hard resets, MAC address changes. My speeds are 25down 10up. Yet in the months I've been waiting for a fix I've not heard one thing suggested by the developers or any update on progress.

I love this game. So much so that I'm now considering changing my isp at further cost to myself. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I'm 33 years old and crying like a baby, I just wanna play multiplayer!

I'd love to know what changes were made in patch 2 that would have have an effect on multiplayer network, there must be something.

That is all