Thread: most times no trader location in quest

Refugee

most times no trader location in quest

Hi,

after the basic quests I get the trader-quest, but in ~ 4 of 5 cases no trader shows up on the map. Is this intended?
    The quest is listed in the quest-list, but the "show on map"-button results in a "selected quest does not have a location to show"-message. The trader is not shown in the compass...

happens in randommaps, Navezgame, singleplayer and multiplayer

http://pastebin.com/NJmugcQP
    Alpha 15.1 (b16)
    Last edited by gogo_nc1701; 12-26-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Sometimes the trader is too far away from your location for the icon to show up in the compass. Are you zooming out the map and scrolling around? The selected trader for the quest can be many clicks away from your spawn.

Strangely, the quest will sometimes ignore traders that are much closer to your spawn point in favor of locations far away...

Refugee
    no, there's certainly no assigned trader because of:
    ...the "show on map"-button results in a "selected quest does not have a location to show"-message....
    If there is a trader, this button shows it's location on the map.

There's definitely some weirdness around trader locations.

The GameManager.Instance.Worlds.TraderAreas list often has no items in the list, or maybe 1 or 2 at best, yet polling the HubCellData for trader locations reveals a couple dozen in a vanilla map.

The quests looks for trader id 5 which is the rented vending machine that is found in a trader settlement, but for some reason can be a bit picky about not working all the time

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    I wonder if the mysterious and random trader claim blocked areas you find aren't so random after all... perhaps they're where a trader was supposed to spawn?

I dunno, I've never experienced that issue that I recall.

I just did some testing and teleporting to the traders listed in the hub cell data, and of the 19 I visited all of them were there, and once visited they showed up in the GameManager.Instance.Worlds.TraderAreas list. Before I visited them none were in the list.

Thats not consistent with what I've seen on GuppyServ tho, as one I had definately visited didn't show on the list (even while standing in it)

Refugee
    retested some random maps (txtx1 to txtx16) - there was a trader in 6 of these 16 games. The I tried "txtx17" 22 times in 8 cases a trader showed up.

In all games where a trader showed up it was trader "Bob". I observed that in other games too incl. multiplayer when I join a friends server - it's always Bob.

I made a command to list all prefabs in hub cell data, and there seems to be an issue with the way it randomly selects the prefabs.

In a vanilla RWG I had these prefabs for traders:

settlement_trader_01
    settlement_trader_02
    settlement_trader_02
    settlement_trader_03
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_04
    settlement_trader_05

19x 04 compared to 1-2 for the rest. It also seems that since not all hubs are held in memory if the trader is not in the cells that are loaded it wont be registered in the world data, so this could be why you dont get them giving a location for the quests.

in rwgmixer the cell_cache_size="8" I believe sets the number of cells to hold in memory, and there are up to 144 cells in a vanilla map (some will be in radiation zones tho), and I get around 24-32 traders on a vanilla map, but using coppis traderlist command usually shows betwen 0 and 4. After running my command that reloads all hub cells it returns the entire list.

Refugee
    Am I the only one with that issue? Or is this perhaps a Linux-Version-problem?
    I think it will be fixed ...

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by gogo_nc1701 View Post
    Am I the only one with that issue? Or is this perhaps a Linux-Version-problem?
    I think it will be fixed ...
    I do have the same issue, and I play on Linux as well. Never had a trader shown in the quest. I really hope it will be fixed. It's especially annoying on RandomGen maps.

Reconstructionist
    I just had this issue regarding the Journey To Settlement (Trader) Quest malfunction.

I was standing near a trader when I completed the 2 preceeding quests - upgrade 3 frames, place campfire. The Journey to Settlement quest was then displayed, but no icon on the compas or map to indicate the location of the trader. Approaching the settlement failed to trigger the completion of the quest. Exiting and restarting also failed to get the quest to properly register. All I could do was delete the qest to get rid of it.

Community Moderator Red Eagle LXIX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    I just had this issue regarding the Journey To Settlement (Trader) Quest malfunction.

I was standing near a trader when I completed the 2 preceeding quests - upgrade 3 frames, place campfire. The Journey to Settlement quest was then displayed, but no icon on the compas or map to indicate the location of the trader. Approaching the settlement failed to trigger the completion of the quest. Exiting and restarting also failed to get the quest to properly register. All I could do was delete the qest to get rid of it.
    Necro Powers Activated?
    Yes, there is an issue when reaching the end of the quest line and completing Basic Survival 8 while near a trader.
    If the player is too close to a trader when the quest_whiteRiverCitizen1 gets activated then the trader will not be located (making the quest broken).
    A simple fix is to move away from the trader, use the console command to remove the quest, and then use the console command to give the quest again.

I'm not in front of my gaming rig at the moment so cannot check to see if I have the proper caps (the commands for giving and adding the quests are case sensitive for the quest name (also cannot check the exact commands but both show when typing help in the console.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo_nc1701 View Post
    Hi,

after the basic quests I get the trader-quest, but in ~ 4 of 5 cases no trader shows up on the map. Is this intended?
    The quest is listed in the quest-list, but the "show on map"-button results in a "selected quest does not have a location to show"-message. The trader is not shown in the compass...

happens in randommaps, Navezgame, singleplayer and multiplayer

http://pastebin.com/NJmugcQP
    Alpha 15.1 (b16)
    Nope never had this issue. Alpha 15.1 is probably not a 'stable relase' according to the history - seems Alpha 15.2 was stable. I'm wondering if having a Mod vs Vanilla could also complicate things. No mention of mods installed.