Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox one game crash

Refugee

Xbox one game crash

My private multiplayer game suffers from such bad crashes. I am currently at day 52 and the game crashes about once every in game day. Sometime it resets the terrain around my base, we have only lost a little bit of stuff though. Is this happening as frequent to anyone else? If so are their any fixes?
    Thanks.

Console Community Manager Clare's Avatar
    Hi Schultzebomb,

The team are aware of an issue the players are having with frequent crashes after a period of time in game and are working on a solution to this issue. However if there is anything you think could be triggering this issue, ie: I do 'X' and the game crashes every time. Please let me know as that may be a separate issue.

All info on base resets, including potential work arounds and a message from the team on the issue can be found here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...rain-Rewriting

In future, please use the format in the guide https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...BEFORE-posting when reporting issues, thank you.

Clare

Refugee

Re: game crash

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Hi Schultzebomb,

The team are aware of an issue the players are having with frequent crashes after a period of time in game and are working on a solution to this issue. However if there is anything you think could be triggering this issue, ie: I do 'X' and the game crashes every time. Please let me know as that may be a separate issue.

All info on base resets, including potential work arounds and a message from the team on the issue can be found here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...rain-Rewriting

In future, please use the format in the guide https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...BEFORE-posting when reporting issues, thank you.

Clare
    It just randomly does it, never consistent as of time of day or what actions I do in the game. Even if i just leave the game open and do absolutely nothing the game will crash after about an hour, everytime. Sometime though it seems if too many zombies spawn it has a higher chance of crashing. Also crashing became more often as I started building defences around my base (spikes) and after i built mini bikes, which i lost 3 of yesterday. Not sure if those are actually causing the crash but i have no other explaination. Though the game's frame rate does tend to drop when i'm around my base. Thanks Clare.

So having large amounts of spikes, trees and torches around your base can contribute to lag and while I've not heard of them crashing a players game it may be a factor if it drags performance down especially with a lot of zombies. What does your base look like?

The team are aware of an issue with crashing while riding a minibike, so that may have caused some of your crashes (as you mentioned losing bikes I assumed you were riding them).

Clare

Refugee

Re: game crash

So having large amounts of spikes, trees and torches around your base can contribute to lag and while I've not heard of them crashing a players game it may be a factor if it drags performance down especially with a lot of zombies. What does your base look like?

The team are aware of an issue with crashing while riding a minibike, so that may have caused some of your crashes (as you mentioned losing bikes I assumed you were riding them).

Clare
    My base is in the suburb area in the navezgane map. We are in the process of tearing down spikes to replace with walls to combat the lag, so far it has not helped with the crashing. Also, i have noticed that it seems the game sometimes crashes if i open the crafting menu or a forge, not sure if it is a coincidence. Sometimes when i open the menu or like a chest for example the chest menu will sort of flash a little and will not display the items in it. This is how I can tell if a crash is going to happen soon.
    Thanks for the reply Clare! And here is the game info:

Day: 60-61 now.
    Scavenger difficulty
    Zombies run: default
    Enemy agression: normal
    Daylight: 16
    Drop on death: everything
    Drop on quit: nothing
    Enemy memory: 60
    Enemy spawning: low
    Block dur: 100
    Loot respawn: 30
    Air drops: 24
    24 hours cycle: 60
    Mark airdrops: on

I also started a single player game, and have only had the game crash once at day 7.

As for minibikes i have lost 1 while riding, 1 that just disappeared in my garage and 1 that got lost due to a terrain reset
    Last edited by Schultzebomb; 01-11-2017 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Adding minibike comments

Hi Schultzebomb,

Any chance you could get me footage of the crafting menu flash you mentioned? if it's common enough, it my be more than a coincidence and is worth investigating on our end.

Just to check - are you Host or Client? does both host and client see this kind of thing or only the host?

Clare

Refugee
    Hi Schultzebomb,

Any chance you could get me footage of the crafting menu flash you mentioned? if it's common enough, it my be more than a coincidence and is worth investigating on our end.

Just to check - are you Host or Client? does both host and client see this kind of thing or only the host?

Clare
    Hi i'm the host of this game. I will try to get some video of it as far as i know i'm the only one in the game that gets that issue. Thanks

Edit: Also just times how long it takes to crash and it seems it crashes every hour and fifteen minutes of real world time.

Edit (again): I have been trying hard to capture the craft/chest menu on crash. The only bad thing besides the crash every 1.25 hours is that my buddy lost his hunting rifle during a crash because he had the assemble menu open when the crash occured. Good news is we have not lost a minibike in a while. (Crossing fingers.)
    Last edited by Schultzebomb; 01-12-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update info

Thanks for the updates Schultzebomb.

Additional info - Sometimes tabbing past the map quickly can cause a crash if a large area of the map is uncovered, this was reported by a member of the community a while ago. Is there just you and your buddy on the map or is there another person who may also be accessing the map?

Also another question - Would ye have heavily modified the world? Loads of block additions or mines dug etc at this stage in your game?

Clare

Refugee
    Both of my "resetting crashes" have come on Random Gen, split screen when I have dug under the base either tunnel/trench. after it resets I lost all my stuff that was in the above ground base, but part of the tunnel still had my crates and forges. The trench was filled back in but some of my concrete blocks were still in there right place. It has something to do with the game made buildings i.e army base. It resets anything I had touching or in those places, but leaves everything else. I put iron bars around the outside of a brick building and when it crashed/reset the only bars missing were the ones that touched the brick. Now I have floating iron bars lol

Refugee
    Thanks for the updates Schultzebomb.

Additional info - Sometimes tabbing past the map quickly can cause a crash if a large area of the map is uncovered, this was reported by a member of the community a while ago. Is there just you and your buddy on the map or is there another person who may also be accessing the map?

Also another question - Would ye have heavily modified the world? Loads of block additions or mines dug etc at this stage in your game?

Clare
    Yeah i have a pretty large mine dug out and a few blocks placed to make a wall along with quite a bit of spikes. I'm currently playing right now so if there is anything you need me to do/test let me know! Also my friend said he was using the map when the game crashed

Edit: Today the game is crashing more often like every half an hour. And finally got a video of what happens approximately 10 seconds before crash: https://youtu.be/cL-xmb7Rf5Q
    Last edited by Schultzebomb; 01-13-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: More crashes

Jhayes - All the info on terrain resets can be found here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...rain-Rewriting - Please in future please be careful to avoid into other players threads when the topic has progressed from the original, we are primarily talking about crashes at the moment. If you wish to share your MD5 error occurrence, please do so in your own thread at this stage or in the thread I linked above with as much detail as possible.

----------

Schultzebomb - Thank you for the video, to be clear, that switching on and off of the menu is not you exiting the menu and reopening it, but the UI "flickering" or does it vanish and then you open it again onto to have it vanish again?

I know the team are working on an issue related to large changes in the map so that could be a factor in the crashing. Why it has increased to 30 mins, I am not sure but I will pass your video onto the team.

Clare
    Last edited by Clare; 01-13-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Refugee
    Jhayes - All the info on terrain resets can be found here: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...rain-Rewriting - Please in future please be careful to avoid into other players threads when the topic has progressed from the original, we are primarily talking about crashes at the moment. If you wish to share your MD5 error occurrence, please do so in your own thread at this stage or in the thread I linked above with as much detail as possible.

----------

Schultzebomb - Thank you for the video, to be clear, that switching on and off of the menu is not you exiting the menu and reopening it, but the UI "flickering" or does it vanish and then you open it again onto to have it vanish again?

There is a bug in the system the team I working on that may be related to large changes in the map so that could be a factor in the crashing. Why it has increased to 30 mins, I am not sure but I will pass your video onto the team.

Clare
    My bad, I didn't want to clog up the main board with the same bug issues and the "MD5" error is a crash as it kicks me out of the game when it happens.

Sorry

Jhayes - No worries, just something to keep an eye on in future. Sometimes it's easier to post a new thread in this section as I'll see it quick rather than it running the risk of it getting lost in another thread.

---------

Schultzebomb - Just had a chat with the team and showed them your vid, they're saying this can occur as a trickling down effect to something that happened earlier, that can then result in the crash - And 30 mins is a bit excessive for the issue I mentioned before about map changes etc so it's possibly something else.

Would you mind detailing what would happen in the game between you and the clients leading up to a crash like that. If you can remember what you did before the video you made or if the next time a crash occurs, if you know what had happened between the last crash and it. Unfortunately because of XB1 restrictions we can't get a save from you to examine, so as much detail as possible about a game session is our best bet at the moment.

Clare

Refugee
    Jhayes - No worries, just something to keep an eye on in future. Sometimes it's easier to post a new thread in this section as I'll see it quick rather than it running the risk of it getting lost in another thread.

---------

Schultzebomb - Just had a chat with the team and showed them your vid, they're saying this can occur as a trickling down effect to something that happened earlier, that can then result in the crash - And 30 mins is a bit excessive for the issue I mentioned before about map changes etc so it's possibly something else.

Would you mind detailing what would happen in the game between you and the clients leading up to a crash like that. If you can remember what you did before the video you made or if the next time a crash occurs, if you know what had happened between the last crash and it. Unfortunately because of XB1 restrictions we can't get a save from you to examine, so as much detail as possible about a game session is our best bet at the moment.

Clare
    EDIT: i uploaded the wrong video the first time, i linked the correct video at the bottom of this post. So sorry for the inconvenience.

So in correct video when the ui kind of disapears that is not me closing it. The game just does it on it's own, though sometimes if i close the menu and open it again it reverts to normal appearance but the game will still crash like 10 seconds later.

Umm i dont really know if we did anything before this happened, we were just looting a town. A couple clients were hunting and knocking down street lights for wood/iron. Also, what do you mean when saying it could be a trickling down effect? Something we did at the start of the game or what? In that case i'll just kind of tell you step by step of what i've done in this world so far.

Originally i spawned in the desert near the junk yard and found a house, built spikes around the house and lived in there until about day 12. Up until this time i played alone in the world, around day 10 I started playing with some friends in this world. Anyways, on day 12 there was the first crash, which also reset a portion of the house and deleted one of my friend's chests. So we decided to move to the suburb area. (The crashing was not very common at this time, maybe only once every few in game days so it wasn't much of a bother.)

It is hard to tell when the crashing became more common, probably as we started looting and discovering more places/ playing with more people/mining/building up our base. It Seems as if the game crashes more often if there is more players in the game.

Lastly, if there is anything you want me to specifically do in game to see if it causes a crash just let me know.
    Thanks again Clare.

EDIT: Oh shoot i accidentally uploaded the wrong video, that was me opening and closing the menu trying to get the bug to happen again. I will link the correct video here! Sorry i just realized this!!!!

Here is the correct video: https://youtu.be/q6GPeL2e6GA

Hi, it has been a day or so and I have another observation. For the first time in a while i actually played alone in the world, while doing this i realized that the game crashes less often like once ever 2 1/2 hours, if i have 2 people it crashes about every 1 1/2 hours, if i have 3 it crashes every hour or so, and if i have 4 people it crashes every 30-45 minutes.
    Last edited by Schultzebomb; 01-15-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Corrected video link

Hi Schultzebomb,

Thank you for describing what has happened in your game so far. By trickling down effect, I believe the team member meant something that happened earlier in the game which may not have seemed to cause any issues then, but can then start showing evidence of itself in things like the UI before a crash. I don't know how far back these things can start, but the increase of crashes when others started to join you is interesting. I shall pass your new info an video onto the team to see if they have any workaround or troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks again,
    Clare