Thread: Can the Blunderbuss not be completely awful?

Can the Blunderbuss not be completely awful?

The humble, simple, first weapon you'll probably make, silent, can usually kill any non-special zombie with one shot to the head (iron arrow and up with quality 600) WOODEN BOW STRUNG WITH GRASS is better in every way.

• It doesn't make any noise.
    • It reloads relatively quickly
    • It can be used easily while backpedaling, even running backwards, and still get sequential kills.
    • While the crossbow deals more damage, it's a lot more accurate, I'll even say the second most accurate weapon in the game to the sniper rifle.

Meanwhile the blunderbuss:
    • Is incredibly loud
    • Has insane spread, much wider than the barrel's shape implies. It's so wide that I'm not able to get a proper headshot from point blank range.
    • When you fire it, you're helpless for about three and a half seconds till you finish reloading the weapon since you can't cancel reloading animations and it automatically reloads when it's fired and then empty.
    • Is much more expensive to create/maintain/stock ammunition than the wooden bow.
    • Even with shotgun perks unlocked, it's damage still SUCKS due to the giant spread making all of it's pellets do ♥♥♥♥.
    • Not being a modular gun, it can't have a flashlight on it making you need to wear a mining helmet if you want to torment yourself with the blunderbuss.

What would fix the issues the blunderbuss has, is a 20-30% decrease in spread, and increasing it's pellet count from 10 to over 15 but below 21*. It's molasses in January uphill with crutches reload speed should be it's major downside, not just another nail in the coffin.

*it randomly fires between 15 to 20 pellets when fired since it's just some gunpowder, bits of rock, and paper wadding hastily stuffed down the gun barrel. While making the damage somewhat inconsistent, it's still consistently very high and would make it much more desirable to use.

As it stands, it's just not worth making a blunderbuss and saving your paper n gunpowder to make buckshot or slugs is a more sound plan than wasting it on blunderbuss shot. You'd think you would want a weapon that's harder to create and maintain than the near starting weapon would at least be on par with it, not simply terrible.
    Last edited by Tellis Argonis; 01-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Yep it's terrible, and the materials to make more ammo is annoying. It's funny how the stupid thing doesn't drop as an item, too.

I guess it's there for RP purposes.

It was actually put into the game to be a viable alternative to the wooden bow until you get a real gun. It was supposed to bridge the gap between the bow and modular guns but it ended up being the worst ranged weapon in the game.

But it simply couldn't compete with the wooden bow due to it's inaccuracy, slow reload speed, and overall low damage in practice.

And an improved compound bow is in the works, which would make the blunderbuss even more irrelevant.

By the time you can make an even halfway decent blunderbuss with max shotgun related skills unlocked, you're going to have an actual full shotgun that is better in every way, so there's no point.
    Last edited by Tellis Argonis; 01-10-2017 at 03:30 PM.

I think if they had special alternative ammo for blunderbusses it could make them useful again. Have them not used for damage but for effect. Maybe with smoke bombs (distraction that makes it harder for the zombies to find you) or fire ammo (that catches zombies on fire when shot). That sort of thing. Or maybe whistling ammo that will send the zombies chasing after the noise as it flies away. Flares for lighting up a wide area at night.

There are a million options.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharin View Post
    I think if they had special alternative ammo for blunderbusses it could make them useful again. Have them not used for damage but for effect. Maybe with smoke bombs (distraction that makes it harder for the zombies to find you) or fire ammo (that catches zombies on fire when shot). That sort of thing. Or maybe whistling ammo that will send the zombies chasing after the noise as it flies away. Flares for lighting up a wide area at night.

There are a million options.
    Scrap Lead shot that does more damage/pellets and has less spread.

I think the blunderbuss should be able to accommodate a very wide selection of "ammo". Just dump in some gun powder, some paper/cloth/cotton, and virtually anything else that will fit in the barrel... then fire it at something.

Nomad
    I think it should be quite powerful at really close range, enough to 1-shot standard zeds on the default difficulty. The balancing factor is (a) very slow reload and (b) time / resource cost of making ammunition.

I think TFP is in a somewhat tricky position attempting to balance the bow vs. the crossbow vs. blunderbuss. In an ideal world, they'd all have their pros / cons and a reason to use one over the other.

Refugee

Some LOVE for teh Blunderbuss!

I agree with all the comments in this thread BUT I'd like to make another suggestion. Make the Blunderbuss the BLUNDERBUSS!!! Yeah, this ANTIQUE should be the KING OF THE ONE-SHOT. That would validate the "long" load time and make it desirable to players.

1. Narrow the spread to allow more damage (w/ 50/50 chance of a one-shot)
    2. Keep the sound LOUD, that way if you use it you know it may bring greater attention.
    3. This should not be a "starter" weapon but instead you can ONLY make it after achieving a max skill level in gun smithing
    4. Do not allow them to "found" in game
    5. Make it a rare item at the Trader at high cost.

Refugee
    My out of my head ideas to balance xbow vs bow vs blunderbuss:

Blunderbuss, already satisfactorily explained by Maharin, have it specialize in a multitude of ammo unique to the blunderbuss. I don't think the blunderbuss should and can compete with damage because the normal shotgun will quickly take it's place. A blunderbuss vs. a sawed off shotgun equals a sawed off shotgun win 100%, as it should be. To extend the concept with different ammo a little, there could be ammo that doesn't damage the blunderbuss that much and other that will blow it up after a few shots like forcing more gunpowder and iron down the pipe to increase the damage effect upon explosion it will likely blow up maybe not just what is infront of you but maybe yourself sometimes.

Bow, too easy to make compared to it's effectiveness. It's too effective. Either reduce it's range or accuracy at low levels AT LEAST.

Xbow, relatively easy but still a bit annoying to make (you need forged iron, (a book?), leather) compared to it's usefulness. If there is a horde coming, byebye xbow, if there is a hit-and-run game you have, byebye xbow, hello bow! It's relative strength is the increased range and (arguably) accuracy on greater distances. The xbow should definitely make use of those two (range and accuracy) qualities even more than currently! There could be a craftable "scope" attachment that makes it easier to aim, instead of having to guess where the aim is. There could be steel-reinforced "arms", which would require greater strength but increase the range (and accuracy). Heavy hits with the crossbow to the head could stun a zed or make it fall to the ground.

tl;dr

bow: short range, fast shots, easy to make
    xbow: long range, good damage, stunning hits,
    blunderboss: makeshift ammo types for special effects and adaptability

I just want it to kill dogs before they take a bute out of my left cheek. That's what they should do with it: A gun made to kill fast targets with low HP even if fired from the hip, to allow you to REALLY run'n gun the dogs

Thought I'd toss my 2 cents in the ring.

I don't think the blunderbuss should ever really exist outside of a novelty. Mechanically, a blunderbuss should be pretty lousy at anything but extremely close range. But at that range, I think it would be cool if it were effective. Just instantly kill a standard zombie. Because there's definitely fun and novelty to be had in pointing a huge barrel at an oncoming zombie and watching it get blown away with a huge blast. But in the long term, it should never actually be an efficient or effective weapon. Because...

Melee exists. And from what they've said in the Q&As they do intend to do more with it. Beef it up. And when that day comes, why would you want to rely on a weapon that forces you in to super close range anyways, eats up resources via ammo, causes huge amounts of noise, and has an awful reload time, when you should really just be caving skulls in with a big stick? As it is, this concept is likely to give shotguns a run for their money if they don't balance things really well. And if they do, the far superior reload time and damage over the blunderbuss will be what allows the shotgun to remain viable.

They said they are improving bow progression and adding another bow. I have a feeling the blunderbuss is a dead concept. It even feels thematically ridiculous to me... Just give me a baseball bat for early game close range combat, and I'll use a bow for distance until I find a standard issue toilet pistol.